Belgian ATC strike from 2300 to 0100, 8 flights affected

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

luchtzak

Belgian ATC strike from 2300 to 0100, 8 flights affected

Post by luchtzak »

Tonight from 2300 to 0100 Belgian ATC (belgocontrol) will strike, 8 flights are possibly affected: 7 Brussels Airlines' and 1 TAP Air Portugal. Reason of the strike is not known.

Source: http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/1901/reisnieuw ... hten.dhtml

Stella_Caeli

Re: Belgian ATC strike from 2300 to 0100, 8 flights affected

Post by Stella_Caeli »

Industrial action is cancelled.

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Reason was (and is) the lack of respect of the management towards the employees and the plan to reduce the number of people per shift, which would effect safety.

There has been an agreement with the management for that part so there is no reason to go on strike, for now.
Tot hier en verder

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Rutger wrote:Reason was (and is) the lack of respect of the management towards the employees and the plan to reduce ...
"lack of respect": can you give us some examples? Does the management throw coffee to your head? Are you being insulted for stupid a.h. by the management? Is your salary (which is quite good, I've been told) paid out weeks too late? Or is it perhaps that management decisions are taken by management only - and not by the unions?
Rutger wrote:Reason was ... and the plan to reduce the number of people per shift, which would effect safety.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the number of movements has dropped with more then 25% last months. Is it therefore that strange that, for shifts with less flights, less controllers are necessary - as long as there are enough to guarantuee safety? Or do you want that those airlines still operating have to pay more per movement, in order to keep the same number of controllers?

And finally: don't you think that management is as responsible as you are for safety matters? Actually, if something goes wrong, they will be charged, not you.

Nevihta

Post by Nevihta »

LX-LGX wrote:And finally: don't you think that management is as responsible as you are for safety matters? Actually, if something goes wrong, they will be charged, not you.
Ok, so let "something go wrong" if ATC won't be blame when something goes wrong....
Dangerous way of thinking.

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

"lack of respect": can you give us some examples? Does the management throw coffee to your head? Are you being insulted for stupid a.h. by the management? Is your salary (which is quite good, I've been told) paid out weeks too late? Or is it perhaps that management decisions are taken by management only - and not by the unions?
There are more than examples enough in the previous topics about Belgocontrol, I'm not going to name them all again...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the number of movements has dropped with more then 25% last months. Is it therefore that strange that, for shifts with less flights, less controllers are necessary - as long as there are enough to guarantuee safety? Or do you want that those airlines still operating have to pay more per movement, in order to keep the same number of controllers?
ATS Staff has put forward an own plan in which they also reduce the number of controllers per shift. It is not because traffic drops with X% that staffing has to be reduced with X% as well. We need controllers in standby for exeptional circumstances like bad weather or a crash like in Schiphol. Of course this doesn't happen often, but if it does we need enough controllers to open sectors to ensure safety. So please don't act as if we are not willing to give in :roll:
Tot hier en verder

zteven

Post by zteven »

All the respect for you guys!

The safety must remain priority number 1.
Better 1 controller too much than 1 too less.

Keep up the good work.

Greetz!

Steven

TCAS

Post by TCAS »

Please don't blame the (BUB) ATCO's ;)

The (BUB) ATCO's are doing an excellent job under :shock: circumstances/management.

Working 14 days in a row followed by one day of, 1.000 hours (example) overtime etc. etc. isn't human, but modern (Governmental legalised/approved) 'forced labor' slavery :shock:

After X years of internal struggle, there's only one way to let the public know, how the Belgian Government and Belgocontrol management, compromise AIR SAFETY with overtired/overworked ATCO's etc.
The magic 'public' words are: A C T I O N and/or S T R I K E !

If something goes 'seriously' wrong, it's NOT the 'outside world' Window Dressed system or Belgocontrol management ........ blamed, but 'as always' the overtired/overworked individual ATCO and his/her colleagues :shock:

off-topic
These (modern aviation) days you can receive ACARS, ADS-B or listen ON-LINE ;)

In :crazy: Belgium it's illegal to listen on aviation VHF/UHF :shock:
In other words, the Belgocontrol management or Federal Government have, got or want something to hide. If you're honest, straightforward and transparent, you'll let aviation freaks (the public) legally listen on aviation VHF/UHF and NOT hide yourself, unless: you (Belgocontrol management / Federal Government) have, got or want something to hide, behind a 'French' privacy legislation out of the Middle ages :shock:

My 0,02 'AIR SAFETY' cents