Ansett: sad aftermath: there have been several suicides...

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

SN30952

Ansett: sad aftermath: there have been several suicides...

Post by SN30952 »

The Government has undertaken to further investigate the state of former Ansett workers' entitlements after allegations in the Senate yesterday of suicides and forced sales of family homes.

Independent Senator Meg Lees asked if entitlements of as much as $75,000 were still outstanding to individuals more than two years after the airline's collapse and if the Government had earmarked $115million of the Ansett levy for tourism ahead of paying out workers.

"Will this Government commit to ensuring that all former Ansett employees get their full entitlements?" she asked.
Senator Lees said that a number of former Ansett employees had had to sell their homes and had not been able to make ends meet financially.

"Indeed there have been several suicides," she said. "I ask the Minister that a full audit be done to see what entitlements are still owed to whom and how much is still owing."

nwa757

Re: Ansett: sad aftermath: there have been several suicides.

Post by nwa757 »

SN30952 wrote:"Indeed there have been several suicides," she said.
Wow! 8O :cry2: That is quite scary. I will keep all of the former Ansett Airlines employees in my thoughts and prayers.
Onward and Upward...