On 23 March, the pilot of a privately owned King Air B200 (A2-MBM) deliberately crashed into the Matsieng air strip clubhouse, Rasesa (Botswana) after an alleged argument with his wife. Around 50 people safely evacuated the building before the impact, but the pilot didn’t survive the crash. Rescue services rushed to the scene, but could only contain the fire. Several cars got damaged.
The Matsieng Flying Club regrets to make the following announcement:
- At approximately 18h20 GMT on 23 March 2019 a 2016 Beechcraft Kingair B200 aircraft A2-MBM was involved in an ground impact incident resulting in the death of the pilot and the destruction of infrastructure at Matsieng Aerodrome in Botswana.
- Earlier in the afternoon the deceased pilot was an uninvited guest at a private function that was held at the Matsieng Flying Club facility at Matsieng Aerodrome. It is rumoured that the pilot was involved in a domestic dispute earlier in the afternoon.
- At approximately 18h15 the aircraft approached Matsieng Aerodrome from the direction of Sir Seretse Khama Airport and made a number of low level fly pasts from different directions past the Club facilities next to the Air Traffic Control tower.
- Matsieng Flying Club members sensed that the pilot might have had an ulterior motive at the time and ordered an immediate evacuation of the club premises by the approximately fifty attendees.
- The final extreme low level run by the aircraft along runway 36 resulted in an impact with the Matsieng Flying Club facility at ground level.
- The Club facility and Matsieng ATC tower was destroyed on impact. The post impact fire destroyed 13 parked vehicles.
- There was no serious injury to any person in the vicinity of the accident scene.
- The emergency services of the Kgatleng District Council were on the scene within minutes to attend to the post impact fire and distress. These response actions are to be commended.
- It is believed that the pilot had no permission to fly the aircraft involved.
- The loss of life and damage is regretted.
- The relevant authorities are currently completing investigations.
Contact one of the suicide crisis lines if you have additional questions.
⏰ +- 19h25
🗺 Rasesa, Botswana 🇧🇼
📁 🛩 light aircraft crash
Reports indicate that the pilot deliberately flew into the Matsieng Air Strip clubhouse after an incident of DV where he was asked to leave. -+ 50 ppl were evacuated minutes before pic.twitter.com/XhBgUG6El3
— CCI Network (@cci_network) March 24, 2019
Source unknown but apparently he had a fight with his wife, then left got in his plane called a friend to ask where she was, the friend got worried told everyone to evacuate the building, then this happened. pic.twitter.com/D0AfYi5yaj
— Craig Smith (@CraigySmithy) March 24, 2019