Brussels Airlines in 2022

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

theeuropean

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2022

Post by theeuropean »

Interesting read, for new routes I gather: more Mediterranean but potentially north European also tourist routes (re: Lapland/rovaniemi) potentially to have summer and winter destinations. More business destinations - where I can’t really guess that much, maybe make some routes they have year-round? Africa either increase in frequencies and/or new destinations that can be done with A320 aircraft which can include North Africa, France make all their destinations year round and some new routes (Nantes?) with thinner aircraft, is my assumption.

fcw

Post by fcw »

theeuropean wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 17:29thinner aircraft, is my assumption.
What on earth are “thinner” aircraft?
For the rest your analysis is probably spot on, but has been made a dozen times before on the website…

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Tridenteke :
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

fcw wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 19:12
theeuropean wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 17:29thinner aircraft, is my assumption.
What on earth are “thinner” aircraft?
For the rest your analysis is probably spot on, but has been made a dozen times before on the website…
My mistake, not thinner but maybe smaller is a better word - like the A220 or Embraer series of aircraft

theeuropean

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by theeuropean »

Does anyone know if SN will also start Munich like it did with Frankfurt and Zurich?

Miqvell

Post by Miqvell »

SN already flies twice daily to Munich ;)

lenain258

Post by lenain258 »

theeuropean wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 14:48 Does anyone know if SN will also start Munich like it did with Frankfurt and Zurich?
SN flies two Times a day to EDDM since march 2022 🙄! Which report with the fleet renewal ? Wrong topic.

sn26567

Brussels Airlines in 2022

Post by sn26567 »

lenain258 wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 20:19
theeuropean wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 14:48 Does anyone know if SN will also start Munich like it did with Frankfurt and Zurich?
SN flies two Times a day to EDDM since march 2022 🙄! Which report with the fleet renewal ? Wrong topic.
Posts moved to the right topic now! 8-)
André
ex Sabena #26567

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

A nice article about the only pilot with a passport from an African country and working for Brussels Airlines. It's not impossible to know how many Pilots from Africa fly outside the African continent but it is interesting to note that with each report or article there is an pride on social networks among the different Diaspora.

Some other links

Norwegian pilot from Ghana who notably flew on Norwegian's B787. He is now on B777 in the Emirates: https://www.instagram.com/787dj/?hl=en

Zimbabwean pilot working at Cathay Pacific. He is currently Captain on 747F. 1st black pilot to have worked in Hong Kong was in 1991. https://newzwire.live/profile-wedza-to- ... captain-at -cathay-pacific/

Ghanaian Captain on Emirates A380 who landed an A380 for the first time in Ghana https://www.graphic.com.gh/news/general ... oo-to-fly- world-s-biggest-aircraft.html

DRC: flight plan of Gaël Musafiri Lombe, the only African pilot of Brussels Airlines

Originally from Lubumbashi, this Congolese who flies under the Belgian flag in the cockpits of A319 and A320 hopes to find himself at the controls of a Brussels-Kinshasa one day. Meet.

The day of our interview by videoconference, Gaël Musafiri Lombe was returning from Greece. A round trip to Heraklion at the start of the day aboard an A320 before making a London-Faro flight the next day, then heading for Brussels and finally Heathrow.

At 32, this Congolese from Lubumbashi is a co-pilot at Brussels Airlines, which he joined in August 2018. A "childhood dream", assures the one whose parents, active in import-export in Lubumbashi (his father is a former governor of Maniema), were able to pay the approximately 70,000 euros that his studies at the Belgian Flight School (BFS), in Charleroi in Belgium, cost.

“At first they thought it was just an idea that I would forget as I grew up, but to their dismay, it wasn't! ", he smiles today, the third of a family of nine children, aware of the "grace" - as he puts it - of having been able to integrate this Belgian school, while at the same time following training in maths and English.

First experience at CAA, in the DRC

Arriving in Wallonia, at the age of 17, was not difficult for this former pupil of the Belgian school in Lubumbashi until the end of secondary school, where he found many classmates in Brussels. In addition, his family owns a second home in Belgium, where he traditionally spent his holidays. However, once he graduated, it was in the DRC that Gaël Musafiri Lombe wanted to start his career. "My dream as an African was to return home and try to make a difference in Congolese society, which I did by joining the Compagnie Africaine d'Aviation (CAA)," he.

And even if the adventure is cut short eighteen months later, in particular following financial disagreements, he retains of his time at the controls of the CAA Fokker 50s a memory tinged with nostalgia. “Flying in Africa and flying here is not the same experience at all, although the basics are the same. In Congo, we landed on grass runways, on sandy runways, an experience that we don't have here, which taught me to fly and which I wish everyone, "he says.

“I have good memories there, because it was my home and I was able to discover this great country that is Congo. The northern regions, in particular, whose problems we know very little about when you grow up like me in the East. Kinshasa, Lubumbashi, Mbuji-Mayi, Kalemie, Bukavu, Goma, Bunia, Kisangani… The company then serves the entire Congolese territory. Among the most beautiful memories of Gaël Musafiri, this Lubumbashi-Kalemie connection during which his parents were among the passengers.
Covid-19: ten months on the ground

Back in Belgium in March 2017, he found Fokker 50s the following month with the Flemish regional company VLM Airlines, based in Antwerp, where he remained until bankruptcy in 2018. Despite his sadness - "VLM was a small company which had become a real family for me" - he sends the same day of the announcement of the bankruptcy his CV to Brussels Airlines, where recruitments are in progress. A week later, he was contacted and hired immediately.

Which he welcomed two years later, when the Covid-19 pandemic grounded almost all of the world's planes. "The company has always been there, to supplement state aid, to provide us with psychological assistance, to maintain contact, to ensure that we remain operational with training modules", explains the one who spent a total of ten months without flying, in two phases of five months.

“During the lockdowns, there was what is called 'hibernation': a group of pilots was suspended to allow others to fly more, so that this suspended fixed group could be formed again, at the place of all the pilots, "says the company to Jeune Afrique. For Gaël Musafiri, returning to the cockpit after this long break was both exhilarating and frightening. "We're excited like a kid, and at the same time, we wonder if we'll still be able to do it! he confides – although the training modules have ensured that this is the case.
Waiting for long-haul flights

The only holder of an African passport among the pilots of Brussels Airlines, he currently flies as a co-pilot on medium-haul flights, until his place on the company's "seniority" list allows him to qualify for long-haul flights and the rank of captain.

For the moment, he is content to take Brussels-Kinshasa flights as a passenger when he returns home, "with lots of gifts, especially clothes" on the way there, and "some food, especially cassava leaves and Congolese fruits, with incomparable taste" on the way back.

Barriers are often the ones we put on ourselves

Also an instructor at BFS, Gaël Musafiri has thus contributed to the training of a class of Air Côte d'Ivoire pilots and strives to convince the youngest to believe in their chances of success. "The barriers are often the ones we set ourselves," he says, explaining that he hesitated to apply to Brussels Airlines, convinced that his lack of knowledge of Flemish would be a fatal obstacle.

"My wife asked me what I had to lose...I gave it a try and it worked," he says - acknowledging that excellent maths, physics and English are prerequisites essential for piloting. As well as a lot of personal discipline, in order to constantly maintain one's achievements.

https://www.jeuneafrique.com/1393890/ec ... -airlines/
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

rwandan-flyer wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 18:08 A nice article about the only pilot with a passport from an African country and working for Brussels Airlines.
Interesting interview, as it discloses some episodes rarely described elsewhere, e.g. on the conditions of SN pilots during the pandemic.
André
ex Sabena #26567

flywim

Post by flywim »

Brussels Airlines to operate CRJ900 from Cityjet again next summer. Received this morning a schedule change on my flights to Hamburg in june 2023, and stated now operated by CRJ900 Cityjet.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

flywim wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 12:00 Brussels Airlines to operate CRJ900 from Cityjet again next summer. Received this morning a schedule change on my flights to Hamburg in june 2023, and stated now operated by CRJ900 Cityjet.
Indeed, 2 CRJ900 from Cityjet will be operated during S23 :-)

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

crew1990 wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 12:13
flywim wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 12:00 Brussels Airlines to operate CRJ900 from Cityjet again next summer. Received this morning a schedule change on my flights to Hamburg in june 2023, and stated now operated by CRJ900 Cityjet.
Indeed, 2 CRJ900 from Cityjet will be operated during S23 :-)
https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... new-staff/

Matt

Post by Matt »

2 extra new A320 neos for SN !

Will be coming in 2024, on top of the 3 NEOs that are coming in 2023.

That will make 5 (new!) A320 neos by 2024 :D

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Curious to see the CRJ900's in the new livery :)

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Boavida wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 17:28 Curious to see the CRJ900's in the new livery :)
Given the fact that it'sa 6 month contract I doubt they will be repainted, even before covid the CRJ900 were not in SN livery. Will see after summer if they decide to extend the contract

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Boavida wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 17:28 Curious to see the CRJ900's in the new livery :)
With the SAS colours? :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Brussels Airlines has now repaid all of the €290 million in state aid it had received from Belgium.
André
ex Sabena #26567

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

sn26567 wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 23:58
With the SAS colours? :)
I took one of Xfly, it was pretty inside and outside :)
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

OO-SND (The Smurfs livery) already 43 hrs grounded in HRG. Reason not known.