PPL license - "schuldsaldoverzekering"

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

decraemerjurgen

PPL license - "schuldsaldoverzekering"

Post by decraemerjurgen »

Good afternoon,

Could I ask if people have recent experiences with requesting a "schuldsaldoverzekering" which is covering an GA accident?

I checked some banks and apparently when reading the small letters most banks do not cover an accident in "a non regular line- or charterflight". (ex. Argenta). Fortis does cover PPL flying but (and I quote) "max 4 hours solo flying a month". Without picking on the maximum number of four hours, it only covers "solo flying".

I contacted their department to explain that "flying solo" is not applicable as I have a license, but they don't seem to understand. The problem is that if I have an accident I was technically not flying solo, which is an item their lawyers could abuse to not pay out. Additionally it might happen in the summer months that I fly more than 4 hours a month.

After some discussions it ended up that they did a proposition of doubling the price of the schuldsaldo allowing to go over 4 hours/month, but still are only approving flying solo. I also checked for adding the option ultralight (after all, the ULM aircraft are becoming very tempting to fly as fuel is getting more expensive), but also this would add a big raise for my schuldsaldo...

Are there banks that are known to have better agreements for pilots? I fly already for many years, always damage-free, and just want to add PPL (and if possible ULM) to my schuldsaldo, do I really have such a high risk profile for banks?

Hopefully there are banks which can put a more realistic price to add PPL/ULM flying on my schuldsaldo :)

Brgds,
Jurgen

Airbus330lover

Re: PPL license - "schuldsaldoverzekering"

Post by Airbus330lover »

decraemerjurgen wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 15:17 Good afternoon,

Could I ask if people have recent experiences with requesting a "schuldsaldoverzekering" which is covering an GA accident?

I checked some banks and apparently when reading the small letters most banks do not cover an accident in "a non regular line- or charterflight". (ex. Argenta). Fortis does cover PPL flying but (and I quote) "max 4 hours solo flying a month". Without picking on the maximum number of four hours, it only covers "solo flying".

I contacted their department to explain that "flying solo" is not applicable as I have a license, but they don't seem to understand. The problem is that if I have an accident I was technically not flying solo, which is an item their lawyers could abuse to not pay out. Additionally it might happen in the summer months that I fly more than 4 hours a month.

After some discussions it ended up that they did a proposition of doubling the price of the schuldsaldo allowing to go over 4 hours/month, but still are only approving flying solo. I also checked for adding the option ultralight (after all, the ULM aircraft are becoming very tempting to fly as fuel is getting more expensive), but also this would add a big raise for my schuldsaldo...

Are there banks that are known to have better agreements for pilots? I fly already for many years, always damage-free, and just want to add PPL (and if possible ULM) to my schuldsaldo, do I really have such a high risk profile for banks?

Hopefully there are banks which can put a more realistic price to add PPL/ULM flying on my schuldsaldo :)

Brgds,
Jurgen
Hello Jurgen,

The solution is never in a bank, but to find by an insurer.
They can find the best solution for you, without problem.
Easy to find, but don't forget to ask for GA accident, this is effectively "non standard" coverage

Regards.

decraemerjurgen

Re: PPL license - "schuldsaldoverzekering"

Post by decraemerjurgen »

Hello,

Thanks for your input, it seems to be indeed that working with an insurer will be the solution.

Brgds,
Jurgen