The one and only topic on which runway in use @EBBR

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

SR20

Re: The one and only topic on which runway in use @EBBR

Post by SR20 »

KriVa wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 12:07 On 07L, it's rare to have even one.
Like this morning with the Ryanair from BCN ! 😀

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Like I said, it happens.
And in that case, it wasn’t due to the previous arrival vacating too late or slowly.
Thomas

convair

Post by convair »

KriVa wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 12:07 Some caveats:
The published 07L RNAV approach will "disappear" again when BUB VOR becomes available again. Since there's no offset, amongst other factors, the "HJ only" restriction is not necessary for the RNAV approach.
Not all aircraft are capable/certified to fly this approach. As such, some will get radar vectors/ a visual/ an SRA/...
Using 07L for arrivals is a lot more effective than 07R, since the risk of rolling past the last available exit taxiway is non-existent on 07L, hence greatly reducing the number of missed approaches. They do happen, of course, but a lot less and mostly for other reasons. On 07R, it isn't unusual to have two or even three missed approaches if (heavy) traffic misses C1 to vacate. On 07L, it's rare to have even one.
For the "vulgum pecus", could you please translate RNAV, HJ only, BUB VOR, SRA, FAF? :)
Did I miss any?

Thanks in advance. :)

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Right you are, @Convair! To me most of these are clear but it is not really polite to take it for granted all of them are universally understood. I will do my best but do not claim encyclopaedic reliability :) :

RNAV: translates to GPS navigation, for most practical purposes. In other words, not needing to rely on "old-style" navaids and navigation techniques, such as VOR, DME, NDB, ILS

HJ: daylight, i.e. from 30 minutes before sunrise till 30 minutes after sunset. A requirement for VFR flying.

VFR: visual flight rules. Under ICAO rules, every flight is conducted either under Visual Flight Rules or under Instrument Flight Rules. Most recreational pilots are licensed for VFR only - and so is yours truly - whereas airliners normally fly under IFR, even in conditions permitting visual.

BUB: the identifier of the VOR at 25L. just to the East of the road to Kortenberg.

VOR: a kind of navaid, transmitting its own id. as morse code in the VHF frequency range, plus encoded directional information. The mainstay of navigation in the 1950s-2010s, very broadly speaking. Often combined with DME, the AIP then calls it a DVOR. Today, VORs are being slowly phased out, especially for enroute navigation; though there are rumours a network of DME stations will be kept up, in Europe, as a backup against total failure of satellite navigation.

DME = distance measuring equipment, a form of secondary radar. As the name says (rare!) it shows the distance from the plane to the tuned ground station, usually in nautical miles.

SRA: no idea

FAF: final approach fix. A term from the IFR cookbook, thus beyond my knowledge. But I understand it to be a 3-dimensional coordinate set, indicating the point where pilots must have visual contact with the runway; failing which, the approach must be aborted. Student pilots on IFR training will often fly the approach up to this point, then go around for the next time around.

PS all of this can be found in the AIP - the one and only official source of information for civil aviation. All ICAO member states are bound to publish it, in a fixed layout, with periodical updates at pre-set dates. Some countries are woefully lax on this requirement, and the bloody Germans require payment for consulting the VFR part of theirs; but our Belgian one is quite quite well done. Even my infamous language-critical eye can rarely find fault with it :) The Belgian AIP also has a very well-done built-in glossary: hovering over most codes and abbreviations will offer a shortcut to an explanation. A feature that would be most welcome on this website too!

SR20

Post by SR20 »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 16:54

HJ: daylight, i.e. from 30 minutes before sunrise till 30 minutes after sunset. A requirement for VFR flying.

SRA: no idea
VFR flying is also allowed at night !

SRA = Surveillance Radar Approach, an aviation term for a type of instrument approach provided with active assistance from Air Traffic Control during the final approach phase. It requires no special equipment in addition to a standard surveillance radar system used by Air Traffic Control (ATC). It thus differs from most other instrument approaches which utilise a radio navigation system to provide guidance during the final approach.

DIBO

Post by DIBO »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 16:54Often combined with DME, the AIP then calls it a DVOR.
at the risk of being pedantic, DVOR is a Doppler VOR (=higher precision)

convair

Post by convair »

@jan_olieslagers, SR20 and DIBO,

Thank you for the explanations. :)

I can understand it is a little tedious to write time and again the full name or definition of these techniques and/or concepts.

By the way, these abbreviations do not always seem very explicit, even for experts; I sympathize with those of you who have to memorize them...and their meaning! ;)

SR20

Post by SR20 »

As from 15:00 UTC (13/12/2018) the approach procedure(s) for RWY 07L/07R using RNP may not be used anymore.
The BUB DVOR will be fully operational and may be used for instrument approach procedures : VOR RWY 07R - VOR RWY 07L

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Between 10:30 and 17:00 (UTC +1), runway 25R is closed for landings. A crane is hampering the operations, no idea how/why.

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

A rather large mobile crane is erected in the vicinity of stands 140-144, and might interfere with various signals needed for landing on 25R.
Hence, 25R is closed for landings. Ad hoc visual approaches might be a possibility.
Thomas

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

SR20 wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 21:23 As from 15:00 UTC (13/12/2018) the approach procedure(s) for RWY 07L/07R using RNP may not be used anymore.
The BUB DVOR will be fully operational and may be used for instrument approach procedures : VOR RWY 07R - VOR RWY 07L
hi,
I don't understand this, it is much more efficient to use 07L for landings as the risk of rolling past the last available exit taxiway is non-existent on 07L, hence greatly reducing the number of missed approaches, as KriVa said a.o.
So why go back since 13Dec. to VOR/DME approach on 07R after HJ, as it is the case right now?
Please, some explain this to me. Thanks!

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Just look at what’s below the final approach for a straight in on 07L and you have your answer.
Thomas

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

KriVa wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 09:06 Just look at what’s below the final approach for a straight in on 07L and you have your answer.
Three days ago, I landed on 07R (probably for the first time in my long life) and from my seat 4A I saw what was below the approach on 07L. :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

KriVa wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 09:06 Just look at what’s below the final approach for a straight in on 07L and you have your answer.
I don't know what you mean. I'm not living near the airport.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

stefanel wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 14:25
I don't know what you mean. I'm not living near the airport.
NATO headquarters!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Attachments
BRU III.JPG

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Everything on Rwy 19 now: take-offs and landings
André
ex Sabena #26567

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

Usual 25L for landings, saw already several go arounds probably due strong crosswind (330 degrees at 16 knots).

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Currently arrivals 07L and departures 07R.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Currently arrivals 07R and departures 07L. Taxiway Y closed (occupied by TUI fly 737 MAX aircraft)
André
ex Sabena #26567