Impact of the coronavirus crisis on aviation

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Charlie Roy

Re: Impact of the coronavirus crisis on aviation

Post by Charlie Roy »

Those Aer Lingus flights are cargo flights with medical supplies:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52085363

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Daily review:

Air Canada will reduce its capacity for the 2Q 2020 by 85%-90% YoY and will temporarily place 15,200 members of its unionized workforce on Off Duty Status and furlough about 1,300 managers.

Easyjet Switzerland request state aid due to fallout from the drop in demand as a result of the coronavirus.

Emirates to receive state aid, says the government, who is committed to the airline.

Eurowings says the flight programme on offer has been temporarily reduced to around 10% of the previous capacity due to a drop in bookings as well as numerous entry restrictions.

IAG is considering accelerating the retirement of older aircraft in the fleet – including some B747-400s, A330s, and A340-600s – to deal with the coronavirus outbreak.

IATA says global airlines will not start to recover from the crisis until 4Q 2020 and any rebound will be short-lived if there is a new winter wave of coronavirus. The industry will burn US$61 billion in cash in 2Q 2020 because of a 70% drop in traffic and revenue. Airlines are set to post a collective net loss of $39 billion this quarter.

Kenya Airways has sought an undisclosed sum from the government to help to cover critical costs such as payment of staff salaries.

Philippine Airlines and other domestic carriers have written to their government seeking help, saying measures imposed globally to contain the coronavirus pandemic threaten their survival.

Qantas insists it should get a support package of US$2.5 billion from the government to ‘level playing field’ if Virgin Australia gets a bailout.

Southwest Airlines is urging employees to keep cutting expenses wherever possible as it evaluates federal loan and cash payments. Capacity will be reduced in April 2020, with 50 older B737s to be parked.

The airline will cut more than 40% of flights from 03 May through 05 June 2020 amid a sharp decline in travel demand from the pandemic. The airline said will fly 2,000 flights a day, down 1,700 over normal levels.

TAP Air Portugal will forward a request to join the lay-off procedure, a measurement covering all professional categories, including pilots and flight attendants.

The airline will have its “strategic position” safeguarded by the state, who will do what it can to save the airline, including recapitalization and possible nationalisation.

Thai Airways International will not collapse, says Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak, who dismissed rumours of impending lay-offs.

Ukraine International Airlines seeks a concessional loan from a state bank to help it mitigate the impact of the coronavirus outbreak. UIA could lose US$60 million in 2020.

Virgin Australia Holdings is seeking a government loan of US$863 million to help it weather the coronavirus crisis, with the government able to take a stake if the loan isn’t repaid in two to three years.
André
ex Sabena #26567

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

Air Asia X Thailand operating a flight out of Prague at the moment

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Removed post, as suggested by Poiu:
Passenger wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 11:38
It's weird that the bankruptcy from just one Belgian airline is discussed in this forum: Brussels Airlines. Whilst actually, two other Belgian carriers are at risk too, with some of their staff predicting (in the topic Brussels Airlines in 2020) how Brussels Airlines' bankruptcy will fold.

Air Belgium was already short of cash just before 31st December 2019, and their largest shareholder Aviation Invest Holding nv/sa has ceased to publish (obligatory) annual accounts. Quid Air Belgium?

And the German TUI head office has just secured a government bailout -via KfW Bank- of €1,8 Billion (on top of their €1,75B credit facility). Quid TUI Belgium?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Skift.com: ...Nine Democratic U.S. senators on Tuesday urged the chief executives of 11 major airlines to issue full cash refunds to customers canceling flights during the coronavirus pandemic after Congress approved a massive rescue package for the hard-hit industry...

Source- more info:
https://skift.com/2020/04/01/senators-u ... r-bailout/

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Brussels airlines is not a belgian airlines, they can get their help from germany.
Now they could argue help is needed for belgian employees, fair, but all sectors are suffering... and just for example, there 2x more dentists than brussels airlines employees
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Acid-drop wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 16:13
Brussels airlines is not a belgian airlines, they can get their help from germany
Ridiculous. For what reason do you want to see SN go bankrupt?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Acid-drop wrote:
Brussels airlines is not a belgian airlines, they can get their help from germany.
Now they could argue help is needed for belgian employees, fair, but all sectors are suffering... and just for example, there 2x more dentists than brussels airlines employees
Name me one belgian airline then?

PttU

Post by PttU »

sean1982 wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 16:23
Acid-drop wrote:
https://mobilit.belgium.be/nl/luchtvaar ... operatoren

:geek:

737MAX

Post by 737MAX »

Conti764 wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 16:16
Acid-drop wrote:
Brussels airlines is not a belgian airlines, they can get their help from germany
Ridiculous. For what reason do you want to see SN go bankrupt?
Because he needs his dentist more than SN.
Apart from that, I have some ideas but those wouldn’t last long before getting deleted by mods :)

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

French aviation gets its first support:

From the European Commission's Competition division: "...CODIV-19 Moratoire sur le paiement de taxes et redevances aéronautiques en faveur des entreprises de transport public aérien sous licences d'exploitation délivrées par la France. Decision on 31.03.2020: decision not to raise objections..."

https://ec.europa.eu/competition/elojad ... 3_SA_56765

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

PttU wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 17:02
sean1982 wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 16:23
Acid-drop wrote:
https://mobilit.belgium.be/nl/luchtvaar ... operatoren

:geek:
How many of those on that list are not funded by an foreign investment group?

737MAX

Post by 737MAX »

sean1982 wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 19:08

Indeed. Just like in many other countries on this planet.
Unfortunately some people live on other planets, blame everything that is not 200% belgian but these guys would also not invest 1€ in anything either.

I have a lot of respect for those who create jobs in Belgium, even if it comes with foreign money. Absolutely none for narrow minded people we regularly read here.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

737MAX wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 20:15
sean1982 wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 19:08

Indeed. Just like in many other countries on this planet.
Unfortunately some people live on other planets, blame everything that is not 200% belgian but these guys would also not invest 1€ in anything either.

I have a lot of respect for those who create jobs in Belgium, even if it comes with foreign money. Absolutely none for narrow minded people we regularly read here.
completly agree 737MAX

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Tweede Kamer of the Netherlands decided to postpone Lelystad Airport opening to November 2021.

Canaryfly suspends operations until 31 May.

Air Algérie suspends until further notice.

Air Greenland flies Nuuk - Keflavik - Copenhagen, using a Dash 8 Q200, for in total 8 hours of flight, with only essential passengers and cargo on board. Would be more interesting to let Kangerlussuaq open.

Some BRU news on the new routes (for now) :

APRIL

12 : LOT Polish Airlines launches Budapest BUD route
18 : Turkish Airlines switches to Anadolujet, restarting Istanbul SAW route
19 : Nouvelair Tunisie opens to Tunis TUN
21 : Aegean Airlines opens to Thessaloniki SKG

MAY

13 : TUI fly Belgium opens to Pula PUY
16 : TUI fly Belgium opens to Miami MIA
21 : Transavia France opens to Montpellier MPL
31 : TUI fly Belgium opens to Eskisehir AOE

JUNE

1 : Brussels Airlines opens to Montréal YUL
1 : SunExpress opens to Adana ADA
1 : Wizz Air opens to Budapest BUD
3 : Air Canada opens to Toronto YYZ (already mentionned)
3 : Corendon opens to Izmir ADB
I'm Thibault Lapers, spotter in Belgium for now 3 years, but not yet across the world and a huuuuuge aviation geek ! Join me on Facebook & Twitter @TLspotting

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 21:28
737MAX wrote:
completly agree 737MAX
It's very narrow minded to call other people who disagree, narrow minded.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Passenger wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 23:12
sean1982 wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 21:28
737MAX wrote:
completly agree 737MAX
It's very narrow minded to call other people who disagree, narrow minded.
Tiens, you do that all the time?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Daily review:

Aurora of Russia seeks government support due to complications from the coronavirus.

BRA Braathens is pausing all traffic between 06 April and 31 May 2020 as demand had ground to a halt amid the coronavirus pandemic.

El Al Israel Airlines is extending the suspension of all scheduled passenger flights until 02 May 2020 due to a drop in demand in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.

Frontier Airlines is cutting more than 90% of flight capacity nationwide in April 2020. The carrier is hoping to gradually add back service starting in May.

Japan Airlines will reduce approximately 85% of its international services through 30 April 2020.

JetBlue is cutting its roughly 200 daily flights in the New York metropolitan area by 80% to 40 a day due to the coronavirus.

Pobeda has reportedly ceased paying for aircraft leases after the airline announced the suspension of all flights. I guess Pobeda will not return to OST any time soon...

Qatar Airways plans a temporary reduction of 40% of staff at Hamad International Airport due to the coronavirus pandemic. The airline will soon be grounding 90% of its fleet, up from the current 75%, as demand continues to fall. Qatar Airways will place a temporary hold on flights to New York JFK from 01 April 2020 and to Madrid and Barcelona a few days later.

Volaris of Mexico will now reduce to approximately 80% of total operation from April 2020 versus the schedule originally published.

Yemenia to postpone all scheduled flights for 15 days beginning 01 April 2020 due to the coronavirus.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace »

Acid-drop wrote:
Very very strange comparison. Comparing healthcare (local need) to transport (international need).

I suppose you consider dentists healthcare, I agree. However, many dentists have stepped up their game and went into the "healthcare for the rich" division. Dangerous discussion I prefer to avoid on an aviation forum (although it's burning inside not to start as my wife used to see one... finally conviced her to change... 8-) )

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Bralo20 wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 11:59
Airbus330lover wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 17:12
No Air Belgium, nor Air Antwerp ? They prefer to give money to LH ? The SR story ?
No, according to the latest info leaking out (and HLN did publish it also a a bit ago) the Belgian government is looking if it's possible to take over Brussels Airlines from Lufthansa. They suspect that LH won't have the funds for SN and they deem SN necessary for the Belgian economy. So it seems that SN will become Belgian again... Biggest question will be at which price...
I think that not one airline can survive this corona crisis without intervention. Could be an intervention by not refunding passengers as per 261/2004 (airlines are issuing vouchers instead), could be by tax legislation (example: see homepage article: "European Commission approves French scheme deferring payment of certain taxes..."), could be by state aid via a loan, could by by state aid as a take over, ...

Regarding aid to Brussels Airlines and to TUI Airlines Belgium, both German-owned: I don't know what the conditions will be for German state aid to Lufthansa, but I do know that the German state aid for TUI AG (Germany) (€ 1,8B) is on condition that it's limited to the German division only. So the life jackets for German-owned Belgian airlines will have to come from inside Belgium.

Air Belgium: because their major shareholder Avia Invest refuses to publish its financial results and commitments, there is little chance for yet another series of regional or federal aid.

Air Antwerp: limited damage when compared to the others: one cheap aircraft and staff on technical unemployment. KLM will probably calculate the loss of a bankruptcy versus possible gains after recovery.