Brussels Airlines in 2020

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Brussels Airlines in 2017
Brussels Airlines in 2018
Brussels Airlines in 2019

Brussels Airlines to operate Washington Dulles service in winter 2019/20 season, from 20FEB20. 4 weekly flights with A330-200

Source: Airline Route
André
ex Sabena #26567

sounilr21

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2020

Post by sounilr21 »

It’s good thing. Dulles is a important United’s hub to connect others destinations in the US. Flights connections beetween Brussels Airlines and United is easy.

Hypothesis :

Why not hoped BRU-IAH (Houston) or Newark EWR (replace JFK) by Brussels Airlines and BRU-SFO (San Francisco) by United. For more choice of connections beetween Africa and US.

PttU

Post by PttU »

20feb? That's closer to the start of the summer season than the winter season? Why wait until then?

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

PttU wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 12:12 20feb? That's closer to the start of the summer season than the winter season? Why wait until then?
It's six weeks before the start of the summer season. UA dropped the ballast. Maybe LH too. Take it as a small step... for the passenger ... in the right direction !

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

sounilr21 wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 11:35Why not hoped BRU-IAH (Houston) or Newark EWR (replace JFK) by Brussels Airlines and BRU-SFO (San Francisco) by United. For more choice of connections beetween Africa and US.
Does SN have planes to effectively fly to IAH or SFO? Both are further than any airport SN flies to.

sounilr21

Post by sounilr21 »

Jetter wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 15:22
sounilr21 wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 11:35Why not hoped BRU-IAH (Houston) or Newark EWR (replace JFK) by Brussels Airlines and BRU-SFO (San Francisco) by United. For more choice of connections beetween Africa and US.
Does SN have planes to effectively fly to IAH or SFO? Both are further than any airport SN flies to.
United is most probably the better chance to operate to SFO. Why not to use a 787-8. So if we want a daily flight, we need a two aircrafts to make this rotation. One on each direction.

It's just hypotecial, no yet plan.

So, it's a good thing to have to Dulles flight with SN all year.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sn26567 wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 10:54 Brussels Airlines to operate Washington Dulles service in winter 2019/20 season, from 20FEB20. 4 weekly flights with A330-200
Source: Airline Route
PttU wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 12:12 20feb? That's closer to the start of the summer season than the winter season? Why wait until then?
Why wait until then? Probably on request from Sales. Long haul flights are booked early: from 12 months for high season, and from 6 months for low season and shoulder season. The more they announce it in front, the higher the load factor.

brusselsairlinesfan

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Happy new year brussels airlines and best wishes for 2020!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The Lufthansa Group will hire 4,500 new people in 2020, but none of them at Brussels Airlines (nor at Eurowings, which is not a surprise). "Due to internal restructuring and cost-saving measures, Brussels Airlines, Eurowings and Lufthansa Cargo are currently imposing a hiring freeze; with some exceptions."

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... nsa-cargo/
André
ex Sabena #26567

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Ansett wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 23:23 Concerning SN's flight to IAD, I honestly do not see the point of having a morning flight to IAD, just like UA, and flights leaving IAD for BRU nearly at the same time, UA at 1750 and SN at 1810. Did I miss something ?
I could have understood a late afternoon/early evening flight to IAD (or even better to NYC), but flights that overlap each other ? Please, tell me the logic behind it.
I fully agree with you. This reminds me when SN was under SR. They had also in The States a certain the same destinations. But SR had all the time, really all the time, the Premium pax, those ones who brought the most to the airline.

For SN it is not the case to receive good slots in late afternoon or evening for long haul at BRU, bcs they will, but I don't know for sure for NY or IAD as we don't have that info.

But flying almost at the same time is rediculous. Both flights could fill an A380 on this route, if both flights would be full of course.

As we can see in practice it is possible. SN and AC will fly this year on the same route and AC requested immediately an other departure slot of late afternoon and they received it at BRU.

It can be of course that SN will request an other slot. If they have to fly more smart, they should do. But probably it has more to do to let let then transfer with their African flights who are mostly during the morning

PttU

Post by PttU »

Atlantis wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 23:40 For SN it is not the case to receive good slots in late afternoon or evening for long haul at BRU, bcs they will, but I don't know for sure for NY or IAD as we don't have that info.
Why doesn't SN receive good slots in late afternoon or evening? Or did I misunderstand?
It can be of course that SN will request an other slot. If they have to fly more smart, they should do. But probably it has more to do to let let then transfer with their African flights who are mostly during the morning
Then why doen't UA change to an evening flight?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

PttU wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 15:20
Atlantis wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 23:40 For SN it is not the case to receive good slots in late afternoon or evening for long haul at BRU, bcs they will, but I don't know for sure for NY or IAD as we don't have that info.
Why doesn't SN receive good slots in late afternoon or evening? Or did I misunderstand?
Then why doen't UA change to an evening flight?
Yes you misunderstood bcs I wrote that for SN it would not be a problem to receive good slots.

UA will not ask for an other slot for the current flights as they are transporting the NATO premium pax.

If they would like to offer new destinations to BRU or even a second daily flight from JFK then for sure it will be late afternoon or evening like it was in 2016, which they never used.

I think, but this is my own opinion, we have to wait till they will receive the A321LR to receive again a request for an evening slot

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

Ansett wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 16:32 Hi again Atlantis !
I understand your point about UA carrying NATO premium pax, but how many pax would that be on each
flight ?
OK, they have an agreement with NATO (for sure).
For SN, the point of carrying pax to Africa thru BRU with own metal is, imho, a weak point. How many pax really to Africa from DC or US via IAD ?
I don't believe this flight will last very long;
it's much more than just the NATO pax and you would be surprised how many African pax come from the states, UA has the slot already a lot longer than SN, when they started the flights were not full and asked for a better time which they received and yet SN is not able to fill the planes to the maximum while UA does, this winter they didn't downgrade to the usual 767. So instead of competing, SN should focus on other destinations to use the A330's wisely and finally start using the benefits of star alliance
Citybird
The flying dream

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

Ansett wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 16:01 Hi Atlantis !
Is SN going to get the A321LR ? A fact or a wish ?
Atlantis was talking about UA not SN....

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Ansett wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 16:01 Hi Atlantis !
Is SN going to get the A321LR ? A fact or a wish ?
I thought LH/CS said : no new investments in SN until they are profitable.
I suspect they could be profitable if we had SN only figures.
I'm speaking about UA who will receive the A321LR

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

@all,

Keep in mind the decision to have IAD (SN) year round is NOT a decision by SN, nor LH alone, but a common decision UA, LH, SN, LX ...

They decide based on a network analysis, not some emotional/unilateral/... basis ... Whether it will be really succesful, we'll see, but at least they see the potential and I think it is a wise decision (started as a summer destination 4/w, then 5, then 6, then daily and now year around ...)

Cheers,
Danny

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

DannyVDB wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 20:25 @all,

Keep in mind the decision to have IAD (SN) year round is NOT a decision by SN, nor LH alone, but a common decision UA, LH, SN, LX ...

They decide based on a network analysis, not some emotional/unilateral/... basis ... Whether it will be really succesful, we'll see, but at least they see the potential and I think it is a wise decision (started as a summer destination 4/w, then 5, then 6, then daily and now year around ...)

Cheers,
Danny
Part of the JV

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Didn't this route start as an evening flight, only to be moved to the morning after one season?

Clearly the suggestions to make it an evening flight by some above have thus been tested already and actually shown to be worse than flying at identical times as United!

I can understand the airport would prefer these flights to be spread out more evenly over the day of course, but sometimes customers have a clear preference for a certain time slot and airlines adapt to that.

BTW - The A++ joint venture between United and the Lufthansa Group is known to be quite comprehensive to the point they share all costs and revenues of all transatlantic flights, so then it really doesn't matter which of the 2 flights (i.e united or B.air) you take then and clearly United is fine with the timings too or they wouldn't be agreeing to the constant increase of additional capacity, would they?

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Yesterday FR24 showed a flight from SN from DUB to GVA. Are these charter flights for a Swiss or an Irish Tour operator?

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

Boeing767copilot wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 09:53 Yesterday FR24 showed a flight from SN from DUB to GVA. Are these charter flights for a Swiss or an Irish Tour operator?
Brussels Airlines is operating LX410/LX411 between BRU-GVA-BRU on behalf of Swiss.
Best regards,

Airbuske