Brussels Airport (BRU): Star Alliance, Oneworld and Skyteam under one roof?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

JOVAN
Posts: 433
Joined: 08 Jun 2006, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU): Star Alliance, Oneworld and Skyteam under one roof?

Post by JOVAN » 19 Aug 2019, 21:05

What is difference between passportcontrol and bordecontrol ?

User avatar
lumumba
Posts: 1645
Joined: 04 Sep 2003, 00:00
Location: brussels Europe

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU): Star Alliance, Oneworld and Skyteam under one roof?

Post by lumumba » 19 Aug 2019, 22:17

Conti764 wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 12:40
Stij wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 09:57
Not being a professional...

Is it correct there are 4 types of passengers

- Unchecked departing passengers
- Security checked departing passengers and passengers coming from Schengen flights.
- Security and border checked departing passengers
- Arriving passengers from non-Schengen flights.

Is it correct that when transferring from

- Schengen to Schengen there are no checks (but your ID card when boarding).
- Non-Schengen to Non-Schengen just a security check (and your ID card when boarding).
- Schengen to Non-Schengen just the border control
- Non-Schengen to Schengen both security and border control

Kind regards,

Stij
Pax originating at BRU intrashengen: ID-check + security.
Pax originating at BRU extrashengen: Passportcontrol + security.
Pax A to B: border control.
Pax B to A (shengen citizens, US, Canada): border control.
Pax B to A (all others): security + border control.
There is no ID check and no security check when you are on a intrashengen connection when transiting true the A concourse you simply go from one gate to another and sure they check your name at the boarding but this is not a ID check.

Even when you originating from a Schengen destination to an international you don't have a security check only if you are originating from outside a Schengen destination you have a security check.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Jetter
Posts: 415
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 21:07

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU): Star Alliance, Oneworld and Skyteam under one roof?

Post by Jetter » 20 Aug 2019, 00:55

Conti764 wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 12:40
Pax B to A (shengen citizens, US, Canada): border control.
So no security control? This video from BRU itself shows otherwise:

(But I haven't seen the actual situation myself as I don't transfer).

Security control from non-Shengen EU countries, the US and Canada is unnecessary and should be abolished.

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1614
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU): Star Alliance, Oneworld and Skyteam under one roof?

Post by Conti764 » 20 Aug 2019, 14:07

JOVAN wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 21:04
Conti764 wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 12:40
Stij wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 09:57
Not being a professional...

Is it correct there are 4 types of passengers

- Unchecked departing passengers
- Security checked departing passengers and passengers coming from Schengen flights.
- Security and border checked departing passengers
- Arriving passengers from non-Schengen flights.

Is it correct that when transferring from

- Schengen to Schengen there are no checks (but your ID card when boarding).
- Non-Schengen to Non-Schengen just a security check (and your ID card when boarding).
- Schengen to Non-Schengen just the border control
- Non-Schengen to Schengen both security and border control

Kind regards,

Stij
Pax originating at BRU intrashengen: ID-check + security.
Pax originating at BRU extrashengen: Passportcontrol + security.
Pax A to B: border control.
Pax B to A (shengen citizens, US, Canada): border control.
Pax B to A (all others): security + border control.
What is the difference between passport control and border control?
None. My mistake ;)

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1614
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU): Star Alliance, Oneworld and Skyteam under one roof?

Post by Conti764 » 20 Aug 2019, 14:11

Jetter wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 00:55
Conti764 wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 12:40
Pax B to A (shengen citizens, US, Canada): border control.
So no security control? This video from BRU itself shows otherwise:

(But I haven't seen the actual situation myself as I don't transfer).

Security control from non-Shengen EU countries, the US and Canada is unnecessary and should be abolished.
There is a second passage on the other side of the passport control to enter the B-pier from the connector. Only the forementioned pax (EU, US, Canada) can pass that border control. When I'm back at BRU, I'll check out the route :)

User avatar
RoMax
Posts: 4418
Joined: 20 Jun 2009, 16:32

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU): Star Alliance, Oneworld and Skyteam under one roof?

Post by RoMax » 21 Aug 2019, 08:59

Flights coming from those so called one-stop-security countries allow transfer pax to go directly back up to the departures level of Pier B (so no security or passport check), if you connect onwards to non-Schengen you either just stay in Pier B or take the B to T bus transfer to T zone. Otherwise you follow the transfer flow from Pier B departures to Pier A and that will lead you through a seperate passport control (as you enter the Schengen zone) which is seen from Pier B directly left of the passport control going into Pier B (if you depart from Pier B its not so obvious, but from that perspective right of the automated gates, you see another set of staffed border control counters that are separated from the departures Pier B flow by a glass wall, those are for the one-stop-security transfers to Pier A).

Jetter
Posts: 415
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 21:07

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU): Star Alliance, Oneworld and Skyteam under one roof?

Post by Jetter » 23 Aug 2019, 23:03

Conti764 wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 14:11
Jetter wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 00:55
Conti764 wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 12:40
Pax B to A (shengen citizens, US, Canada): border control.
So no security control? This video from BRU itself shows otherwise:

(But I haven't seen the actual situation myself as I don't transfer).

Security control from non-Shengen EU countries, the US and Canada is unnecessary and should be abolished.
There is a second passage on the other side of the passport control to enter the B-pier from the connector. Only the forementioned pax (EU, US, Canada) can pass that border control. When I'm back at BRU, I'll check out the route :)
You mean this passage? That is allowed for all B to B transfers but does involve security control.


When looking around after my arrival at pier B I noticed that every transferring passenger has to go through security which is unnecessary in many instances. Problems like these could be avoided when separating passengers from secure and non-secure airports: www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1429801

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1614
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU): Star Alliance, Oneworld and Skyteam under one roof?

Post by Conti764 » 24 Aug 2019, 17:16

Jetter wrote:
23 Aug 2019, 23:03
Conti764 wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 14:11
Jetter wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 00:55

So no security control? This video from BRU itself shows otherwise:

(But I haven't seen the actual situation myself as I don't transfer).

Security control from non-Shengen EU countries, the US and Canada is unnecessary and should be abolished.
There is a second passage on the other side of the passport control to enter the B-pier from the connector. Only the forementioned pax (EU, US, Canada) can pass that border control. When I'm back at BRU, I'll check out the route :)
You mean this passage? That is allowed for all B to B transfers but does involve security control.


When looking around after my arrival at pier B I noticed that every transferring passenger has to go through security which is unnecessary in many instances. Problems like these could be avoided when separating passengers from secure and non-secure airports: www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1429801
Nope. B to A... Rommax explained it very well.

Jetter
Posts: 415
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 21:07

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU): Star Alliance, Oneworld and Skyteam under one roof?

Post by Jetter » 27 Sep 2019, 06:25

Atlantis wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 22:24
Also LATAM is high on the list
DL has taken a big share in LATAM and it will be leaving OneWorld.
https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... aans-latam

Sadly I think that will ruin the prospects of seeing LATAM at BRU, more service at CDG or AMS seems more rational with DL as major partner.

nordikcam
Posts: 988
Joined: 24 Aug 2008, 10:22
Location: Uccle

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU): Star Alliance, Oneworld and Skyteam under one roof?

Post by nordikcam » 27 Sep 2019, 09:53

Given the quality of the carrier "house" at the airport and seen this new info, eventually the BRU airport will have as much attractiveness as Stuttgart, Lugano or Ljublana ... magnificent perspective!

User avatar
Atlantis
Posts: 4291
Joined: 12 Apr 2005, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU): Star Alliance, Oneworld and Skyteam under one roof?

Post by Atlantis » 27 Sep 2019, 10:16

Jetter wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 06:25
Atlantis wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 22:24
Also LATAM is high on the list
DL has taken a big share in LATAM and it will be leaving OneWorld.
https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... aans-latam

Sadly I think that will ruin the prospects of seeing LATAM at BRU, more service at CDG or AMS seems more rational with DL as major partner.
Hi Jetter,

Yes, LATAM is going out of Oneworld. This is for this alliance really not good news I can tell.

Regarding BRU, all options are still open as Skyteam can really make a statement here and serving South America from AMS, BRU and CDG.

The other option is to give 5th freedom rights to Emirates or Singapore Airlines to open the route

Post Reply