Social actions at air navigation service provider skeyes (Belgium) - possible air traffic disruptions

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boeing767copilot

Re: Social actions at air traffic control service skeyes (Belgium) - possible air traffic disruptions

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Air traffic control boss to get tough on “Individuals that are holding the company hostage”

https://vrtnws.be/p.1mKlalbwe

luchtzak

Re: Social actions at air traffic control service skeyes (Belgium) - possible air traffic disruptions

Post by luchtzak »

EBBR (Brussels)
Arrivals regulated due to ATC staffing.
High delays.

EBBU (Brussels)
Several sectors regulated due to ATC staffing.
Moderate to high delays.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

EBBR (Brussels)
High delays.

https://www.aviation24.be/air-traffic-c ... -expected/

EHAM (Amsterdam)
Arrivals regulated due to strong winds.
Very high delays expected throughout the day.

EDDF (Frankfurt)
Arrivals regulated due to technical issues with PSS (paperless strip system).
High delays.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... on-monday/

LOWW (Vienna)
High delays.

Airspace:

EBBU (Brussels)
Several sectors regulated due to ATC staffing.
High delays.

https://www.aviation24.be/air-traffic-c ... -expected/

EDUU (Karlsruhe)
Several sectors regulated due to ATC capacity.
Moderate to high delays.

EDGG (Langen)
Several sectors regulated due to technical issues with PSS (paperless strip system)
Moderate to high delays.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... on-monday/

LOVV (Vienna)
Several sectors regulated due to staffing.
Moderate delays.
Schermopname (483).png

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Seems to be now for Charleroi.

Wizz HALWG diverted to Liège, 2 Ryanair holding.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Correction, not due to Skeyes but incident on the runway.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

EBBU (Brussels)
Several sectors regulated due to ATC Industrial action and ATC staffing.
West combined sectors regulated due to ATC Industrial Action.
Very high delays.East combined sectors regulated due to Staffing with low delays.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

EBBU BRUSSELS (ACC-FIC)
A0987/19 - BRUSSELS ACC CLSD DUE TO STAFF SHORTAGE. EMERG FREQ ARE
WATCHED. 26 MAR 00:30 2019 UNTIL 26 MAR 02:30 2019. CREATED: 25 MAR 15:27

Av24.be

Post by Av24.be »

Response from an Brussels Airlines pilot ☺:

I would like to respond to the link that you have shared on your FB page. However, I prefer not to do this by name and by name, but if you want you can put my response anonymously under your message. Here is my response:

It is extremely rare that I understand strike actions, but this time it is. It is clear to me that you are not campaigning for more pay or other direct personal benefits, but that there has been a great shortage of air traffic controllers for a long time. Whether you now have a gross salary of € 1,000 or € 20,000 / month, it really doesn't matter. I agree that those who are properly reimbursed may sometimes do something extra, but of course that does not mean that you may be systematically expected to work more than 10 days in a row, that you will not receive a vacation you are entitled to for a longer period of time. and also things that you are legally entitled to, such as parental leave, must be dropped, because too few and too late new colleagues are being recruited. I also note that you do not rash completely mess up everything, but have not been working for a while for short periods of time where the nuisance for the traveler is of course there, but in general remains 'reasonably' limited.

I notice myself that the pressure on the frequency often becomes so great that it is 'not normal' anymore. If you try to get hold of push back or taxi clearance with many at the same time in the morning, it often happens that different flights transmit to each other and it can sometimes take a few minutes before you finally get caught. Cacaphony is then the only correct description and the cause is clear: one controller that still has to manage the two ground frequencies and the tower, where it should have been separated for a long time. Only recently did it become apparent to me on an intercept heading for the localiser that next to the final approach course and above the airport there were showers with hail and lightning that looked innocent on our weather radar just one minute earlier. It was then so busy on the frequency that it was quite a task to get 'in between' and make it clear to 'approach' that the approach had to be interrupted and we urgently needed a sharp right turn.

Without being able to see the details from within, it seems clear to me that there is clearly a problem with Skeyes's understaffing and lack of insight and knowledge with whom it should all lead in the right direction.

You do not throw roadblocks, do not set fire to cars, do not prevent willing colleagues to work through pickets, but make use of the right to strike as it should only be used: as the ultimate means after unsuccessful negotiation attempts to denounce a state of abuse simply by saying, "Then just do it without me." Of course I also don't like your promotions - I also like to come home at the scheduled time and date - but in this case I fully understand it.

I hope that the airlines put pressure on the management of Skeyes and the authorities to force them to take measures so that you can offer a good, efficient but above all safe air traffic control service!

Av24.be

Post by Av24.be »

And another one:

Hi xxxxx, I think that at SN we support you mainly concerning these actions. As our colleague said in the other message, for several months we note that several frequencies are managed by the same controller with more and more traffic and in the "low" season. It is important for the health and safety of all that you lead this movement until a more comfortable situation for you 🙂

SR20

Post by SR20 »

It looks like ATCO's are getting some support from the aviation community !

mvg

Post by mvg »

The management isn’t doing great, that’s for sure.
But Atco’s either... They complain that they are rostered 12 days in a row followed by one day off. Ask anyone outside this job what 12 days in a row means: that is 12 days when you take you car, go to work and come back home, 12 times.
That is not what it means for them. Atcos have to work 35 hours per week (any hour above that is redeemable later or payable, at their discretion). As one night is counting for 14 hours (=2 days), if an Atco works Monday night, morning shift on Wednesday and Thursday night, in other words 3 shifts, his week is done but he pretends that he has worked 5 days in a row...
As explained by an Atco on this forum before, management wants now to count a night shift for one day (but still 14 hours). Only for rostering purposes they don’t want an Atco to consider that he has worked 5 days in a row when he/she only came 3 times to work.
The change was poorly communicated but is it really unfair?
Working one night means 10 hours at work officially, 9 hours in reality, big maximum 4 hours of work, the rest is sleeping time (which is good for them). But which management would agree to count 4 hours of real work for two days work time (this they agree to do which is like nowhere else) but also for rostering purposes?
The rest time is not changed: no other shift can be planned before the next day (they have their sleep day like everywhere) and they can never be planned for two consecutive nights. What the management is saving, as they are short of staff, is the sleep day counting as a working day as far as the rostering is concerned.
To me that is very little in a time where every company is trying to cut costs... And it’s just doing like any other country would do...

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

SR20 wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 22:27 It looks like ATCO's are getting some support from the aviation community !
Don't be ridiculous.
Of course we know they are right from the start.
We all know Belgium is a country with massive issues, and we can expect a huge mess at the ATC level, just like anywhere else in Belgium. They fight for our security and they are right to do so.

But how they do it is plain wrong.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Liege Airport, the most affected by the closure of Belgian airspace at night, complains about skeyes and wants a regionalisation of ATC.

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/lieg ... ny-skeyes/
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Air traffic controllers are preparing an open letter for their CEO, this letter was briefly posted in this topic but removed due to embargo. Keep you posted!

Boeing767copilot

Brussels Airlines has calculated that the actions of the air traffic controllers have already cost the airline four million euros.

4 million € !!!
Last edited by Boeing767copilot on 26 Mar 2019, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Charleroi Airport impacted by strike between 8:00 and 10:00L tomorrow morning.

Boeing767copilot

Due to industrial actions at skeyes traffic to and from Brussels Airport may be delayed.

The European Transport Workers’ Federation is organising a manifestation in Brussels tomorrow Wednesday 27 March. Depending on how many members of staff will participate in the manifestation, baggage handling may be disrupted. Please contact your airline to for any specific travel advice.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

EBBU
Several sectors regulated due to ATC Industrial Action from mid afternoon.
Moderate delays via the West sector, increasing to high from 1800 UTC.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

A0992/19
Text:NO ATC PROVIDED IN EBAW TWR DUE TO INDUSTRIAL ACTION. EMERGENCY FREQ ARE WATCHED.
A0991/19
Text:NO ATC PROVIDED IN EBCI CTR/TMA DUE TO INDUSTRIAL ACTION. EMERG FREQ ARE WATCHED