Spotting at Zaventem

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

cndegeya

Spotting at Zaventem

Post by cndegeya »

Hello All, I'm a new plane spotter on this forum but i don't live in Belgium, I would like to try to get to the spotting area tomorrow at Brussels airport but i don't really know how to reach there as i don't have a private transport, all i can do is to normally get to the Airport by a train, but to get to the spotting area i don't know... what is your advice to me? should I take a cab?

Thanks for your help!

Cyril

luchtzak

Re: Spotting at Zaventem

Post by luchtzak »

Hello Cyril, welcome on this web site!

You can check: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56798

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Welcome to this forum, Cyril. You did come to the right place!

* the most important point is to know what runway will be in use. The basic configuration is "landing 25L, take/off 25R" but that may of course vary, depending on weather and other factors. If you have a receiver, tune the ATIS at 132,475 and you will know. The ATIS info is also available somewhere on www.skeyes.com (the former Belgocontrol) but you might need to register, which might take its time.

* an annoying point is that, in the standard configuration, most traffic lands on 25L, some of the more interesting planes land on the 25R, in between departures: cargo, military, visitors of state, &c. So that depends on your interests.

* if once you know where you want to be, you can begin to wonder how to get there :) There are dedicated spotters' places on 25L (50.89518 N 4.51570 E )and 01 (50.88820 N 4.49594 E) both are +/- 1,5 km from Nossegem railway station, which would be my basic recommendation unless 07 and/or 19 are active; this is however rare.

* there are buses, too, for the 25L and 25R find one to the village of Steenokkerzeel; for 01 one of the many on the Brussel-Leuven route will do.

* if you bring a radio, use it discreetly - one cannot operate them here legally, unless possessing the proper license,

DIBO

Post by DIBO »

With a moderate southwesterly wind tomorrow, 25L will most probably be in use for landings.
This link gives the (flemish) bus company's route-planner from the airport to the nearest bus stop for runway 25L ('Erps Watertoren'):
https://www.delijn.be/en/routeplanner/r ... aling=true
Erps Watertoren.png

cndegeya

Post by cndegeya »

Thank you very much Jan, I had opted to take the rain up to Nossegem rail station and find another mean from there,are there taxi cabs outside the station? or even hired bicycles would work if they are available, i have seen walking would be close to 20 mins

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

I do not think you would find bicycles for rent at the station, even taxis seem unlikely. This is not a proper "station", it is rather a stop with only some shelter and ticket sales machines. If you want a bicycle, your best bet would be to pick one up in Brussels (if Brussels is where you start from!) and take it on the train, but do it outside the rush hour. You could however taker the train to Nossegem, then call a local cab.

I think there must be bus stops both near the Nossegem train stop and the 25L crossing with the main road ("Tervuursesteenweg") so that should be an easy one. For info about buses, visit www.delijn.be and make sure you know how to get a ticket - I am not sure one can still buy them from the driver.

[ later edit: ] After looking around the web pages of DeLijn, I am not so sure there is a bus along the Tervuursesteenweg.