Brussels Airport customs officers on strike (since Wednesday 17 October)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply
Passenger
Posts: 5617
Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 20:54

Brussels Airport customs officers on strike (since Wednesday 17 October)

Post by Passenger » 16 Oct 2018, 19:31

Wednesday: disruption by the Customs trade unions at Brussels Airport. Arriving passengers will have to add one hour waiting time, and some departing flights will also be delayed.

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 33668
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2018

Post by sn26567 » 18 Oct 2018, 15:58

Passenger wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 19:31
Wednesday: disruption by the Customs trade unions at Brussels Airport. Arriving passengers will have to add one hour waiting time, and some departing flights will also be delayed.
That's the only time you can see them working at all. Usually, when you arrive at BRU, you can see 4 or 5 customs officers having a nice chat between them, but they don't give a damn about passengers.

Lack of staff? They must be joking...
André
ex Sabena #26567

737MAX
Posts: 97
Joined: 29 Aug 2017, 08:46

Re: Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2018

Post by 737MAX » 18 Oct 2018, 17:02

sn26567 wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 15:58
Passenger wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 19:31
Wednesday: disruption by the Customs trade unions at Brussels Airport. Arriving passengers will have to add one hour waiting time, and some departing flights will also be delayed.
That's the only time you can see them working at all. Usually, when you arrive at BRU, you can see 4 or 5 customs officers having a nice chat between them, but they don't give a damn about passengers.

Lack of staff? They must be joking...
Exactly my thoughts...

User avatar
Yuqu12
Posts: 425
Joined: 04 Mar 2016, 09:41

Re: Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2018

Post by Yuqu12 » 18 Oct 2018, 19:07

I'm wondering how much money and sigarettes that enter Belgium if they have to stop their action after 2 hours because they cannot follow all the breaches when entering the country...

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1396
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2018

Post by Conti764 » 19 Oct 2018, 12:45

sn26567 wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 15:58
Passenger wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 19:31
Wednesday: disruption by the Customs trade unions at Brussels Airport. Arriving passengers will have to add one hour waiting time, and some departing flights will also be delayed.
That's the only time you can see them working at all. Usually, when you arrive at BRU, you can see 4 or 5 customs officers having a nice chat between them, but they don't give a damn about passengers.

Lack of staff? They must be joking...
They are supposed to single out individual passengers to undergo checks. In the morning (African flights) they have their hands full.

Something that can be improved in the future imho... Rearrange the arrivals hall to have an area where custom checks can be executed on a broader and more efficient base. Compare the cheap looking, chaotic scenes at BRU with f.e. Australian customs...

Stij
Posts: 2099
Joined: 07 Mar 2005, 00:00
Location: Belgium

Re: Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2018

Post by Stij » 19 Oct 2018, 15:16

sn26567 wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 15:58

That's the only time you can see them working at all. Usually, when you arrive at BRU, you can see 4 or 5 customs officers having a nice chat between them, but they don't give a damn about passengers.

Lack of staff? They must be joking...
I agree, either they chat, either they're not there... it's a joke...

Cheers,

Stij
See where I've flown at OpenFlights!

b720
Posts: 816
Joined: 04 May 2006, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airport customs officers on strike (since Wednesday 17 October)

Post by b720 » 19 Oct 2018, 15:29

And Sometimes past 22:00 there is No one!

Stij
Posts: 2099
Joined: 07 Mar 2005, 00:00
Location: Belgium

Re: Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2018

Post by Stij » 19 Oct 2018, 15:30

Conti764 wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 12:45
...In the morning (African flights) they have their hands full...
I arrived back from Uganda on sundaymorning during the African rush... nobody at customs...

Again, a joke... they should be ashamed...

Stij
See where I've flown at OpenFlights!

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1396
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2018

Post by Conti764 » 19 Oct 2018, 15:54

Stij wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 15:30
Conti764 wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 12:45
...In the morning (African flights) they have their hands full...
I arrived back from Uganda on sundaymorning during the African rush... nobody at customs...

Again, a joke... they should be ashamed...

Stij
Hence the 'they are supposed to...' ;)

It's not the hardest working faction on the airport, through…

Passenger
Posts: 5617
Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 20:54

Re: Brussels Airport customs officers on strike (since Wednesday 17 October)

Post by Passenger » 19 Oct 2018, 15:59

They don't bully the passengers (and airlines) because they are understaffed. They bully the passengers (and airlines) because any "social action" at Brussels Airport gets tv coverage.

They don't demand "more staff". They reason for their "social action" is because the government wants to change the sickness-days advantages for public servants.

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1396
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Brussels Airport customs officers on strike (since Wednesday 17 October)

Post by Conti764 » 19 Oct 2018, 19:14

Passenger wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 15:59
They don't bully the passengers (and airlines) because they are understaffed. They bully the passengers (and airlines) because any "social action" at Brussels Airport gets tv coverage.

They don't demand "more staff". They reason for their "social action" is because the government wants to change the sickness-days advantages for public servants.
To a certain extend I agree with you.

I for one prefer actions which do not disturb people outside the discussion (general population). Problem is the unions can only go so far in what actions they anounce. For instance, they can't call on their members to do an action like the police did the past days (call in sick for the Eurotop in Brussels), these kind of actions do not disturb the general population but only put a burden on the organization of the Eurotop and the minister responsible. But it cannot be sanctioned by the unions because in essence it's a breach of duty and even illegal.


The latest action that disturbed the airport was an action sanctioned by the unions. The officers performed their duties in detail (prikactie). Such actions can be and are sanctioned by the unions.

Blame the government and the responsible ministers for it. I don't know how customs work, but police officers can be easily summoned to work as has happend the past few days. So no option to strike, which imo would be logical for intervention services, but the government abuses these mechanism to undercut the right to go on strike for officers. Thus you either get spontaneous actions which in general do not disturb the population, or you get union sanctioned actions but due to the nature of their work, results in the population (passengers) being disturbed.

Stij
Posts: 2099
Joined: 07 Mar 2005, 00:00
Location: Belgium

Re: Brussels Airport customs officers on strike (since Wednesday 17 October)

Post by Stij » 23 Oct 2018, 16:34

http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20181023_03865431 In Dutch
The strike is over! They'll get extra staff by next month.

Personal note: I really still wonder what they actually do... maybe at Brucargo a lot...
But at the terminal I seldom see them picking out a passenger... either they chat, either they're just not there…

Cheers,

Stij
See where I've flown at OpenFlights!

Post Reply