Direct flight vs Nonstop flight

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Konus

Direct flight vs Nonstop flight

Post by Konus »

Is there someone who can explain the difference between a direct flight and a nonstop flight ?

Can either be a multileg flight ? With only one or more flight numbers ?
Can either have a (planned) technical stop (fi. refuelling, crew change, …) ?
Can either have an aircraft change ?

Thank you.

sn26567

Re: Direct flight vs Nonstop flight

Post by sn26567 »

Let's start with the simplest case: a non-stop flight will bring you from A to B without any intermediate stop, even not a fuel stop (except for extraordinary circumstances: technical problems, adverse weather conditions, medical emergencies, etc.).

A direct flight will also bring you from A to B, without a change of plane or flight number, but with (or without) intermediate stops.

A direct flight can thus be non-stop, but might also involve one or more intermediate stops. I remember the old Sabena flights to Tokyo having multiple intermediate stops: Athens, Tehran, Bombay, Manila. But it was still a direct flight.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Wasn't even "a" UA flight that required a change of plane though carrying the same flight number throughout?

I seem to remember an LAX or SFO to IAD on a 75, then boarding on a 76 to cross the Atlantic and all on the same flight number !
This was called a direct flight.

H.A.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 18:01 Wasn't even "a" UA flight that required a change of plane though carrying the same flight number throughout?

I seem to remember an LAX or SFO to IAD on a 75, then boarding on a 76 to cross the Atlantic and all on the same flight number!
This was falsely called a direct flight, because it required a change of plane. That practice of using a single flight number for two flights with two aeroplanes was not rare a few decades ago, not only with UA. Many American carriers used that scheme (e.g. Delta from BRU to LAS with a change of plane in ATL). I'm not sure it still exists.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Konus

Post by Konus »

Thank you for the explanation. It is clear for me.

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

sn26567 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 18:27
Homo Aeroportus wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 18:01 Wasn't even "a" UA flight that required a change of plane though carrying the same flight number throughout?

I seem to remember an LAX or SFO to IAD on a 75, then boarding on a 76 to cross the Atlantic and all on the same flight number!
This was falsely called a direct flight, because it required a change of plane. That practice of using a single flight number for two flights with two aeroplanes was not rare a few decades ago, not only with UA. Many American carriers used that scheme (e.g. Delta from BRU to LAS with a change of plane in ATL). I'm not sure it still exists.
Indeed Delta has it with DL42-43 MSP-JFK-BRU with change of planes.
Aeroflot has this also SU262 is NRT-SVO-LHR with change of planes.
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

EBAW_flyer

Post by EBAW_flyer »

I had to look twice last year when my MIA-ATL was displayed as Miami-Atlanta-Brussels at the gate in Miami.
The first flight was on a MD80, and ATL-BRU on 767.
Now the DL80 seems to be MEM-ATL-BRU.