The CityJet Sukhoi SSJ100-95 saga is hurting Brussels Airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

airbuske

Re: The CityJet Sukhoi SSJ100-95 saga is hurting Brussels Airlines

Post by airbuske »

Rumours are that the SSJ will be removed from the Cityjet fleet and that they will only use the CRJ900 for wetlease.
Best regards,

Airbuske

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Brussels Airlines may move its wet-lease arrangement from CityJet, following long delays in solving technical problems with its SSJ100s. The contract is scheduled to expire in March 2019 and the carrier is at the RFP stage of determining who will be the capacity provider.
André
ex Sabena #26567

spagiola

Post by spagiola »

Has the situation with the SSJs improved? Looking at about a week's worth of FR24 data I see only one flight cancelled.

Flanker3

Post by Flanker3 »

It looks like reliability is way up now.
Perhaps SN should look at maintaining the cooperation and ask for a clause with big compensation for each delay/cancellation in the form of rebates on the monthly ACMI charges.
The SSJ fits well in SN's operations, the aircraft can't help it if Cityjet is unable to support it properly. Adding a type like the SSJ saves on capital cost but requires the same if not bigger investments in logistical support. It looks like the operators are not well prepared for that and expect everything to be available off the shelf from Sukhoi or SJI.

convair

Post by convair »

Flanker3 wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 01:33 It looks like reliability is way up now.
I got the same impression.
Flanker3 wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 01:33 Perhaps SN should look at maintaining the cooperation and ask for a clause with big compensation for each delay/cancellation in the form of rebates on the monthly ACMI charges.
The SSJ fits well in SN's operations, the aircraft can't help it if Cityjet is unable to support it properly. Adding a type like the SSJ saves on capital cost but requires the same if not bigger investments in logistical support. It looks like the operators are not well prepared for that and expect everything to be available off the shelf from Sukhoi or SJI.
Why not? It seems to be a good aircraft, but It's new and, as any new machine, it's having its teething trouble. I read on this forum that the russian manufacturer is slow in supplying the needed spare parts but I assume Cityjet has now collected enough data/arguments to put the adequate amount of pressure on them to expedite those matters. The winter slack should also help having a replacement aircraft available in case of a problem.

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

convair wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 02:03Why not? It seems to be a good aircraft, but It's new and, as any new machine, it's having its teething trouble. I read on this forum that the russian manufacturer is slow in supplying the needed spare parts but I assume Cityjet has now collected enough data/arguments to put the adequate amount of pressure on them to expedite those matters. The winter slack should also help having a replacement aircraft available in case of a problem.
The SSJ is a formidable aircraft and would fit in well into many fleets. Pax-wise, the only thing that bothers me is the noise level, which seems to be higher than on comparable regiojets of Western manufacturers. But otherwise, flying with the SSJ is always a nice and comfortable experience. I heard from pilots that it is popular with the crews as well, as it is quite similar to fly as an Airbus.

I guess that it is mainly the lack of spare parts that continuously plagues SSJ operators worldwide. This is no new problem though, as Russian manufacturers seem to "forget" about spare parts when it comes to production. The same happened with the Tu-154 in the early 1980s - it seems that Russian managers (?) forgot to learn some lessons throughout all those years.
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

According to a pilot, a lack of MEL (minimum equipment list) forces the pilots to not fly. Other aircraft types have a better MEL in case one or few instruments/items are not working.

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

luchtzak wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 11:14 According to a pilot, a lack of MEL (minimum equipment list) forces the pilots to not fly. Other aircraft types have a better MEL in case one or few instruments/items are not working.
Interesting, thank you for that information. To my knowledge so far, it was "lack of spare parts". This info seems to be a bit more precise.
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Vic Diesel wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 12:13
luchtzak wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 11:14 According to a pilot, a lack of MEL (minimum equipment list) forces the pilots to not fly. Other aircraft types have a better MEL in case one or few instruments/items are not working.
Interesting, thank you for that information. To my knowledge so far, it was "lack of spare parts". This info seems to be a bit more precise.
It's a combination of things:
1. If there is an issue, it takes time to find out how serious it is, if it prohibits them from flying etc due to a lack of a (proper) MEL
2. Technicians are not readily available at many stations for this type of aircraft
3. Spare parts are not readily available at many stations
4. Even if all that is fine, CityJet has crew shortages which caused a big part of the cancelations this summer

Wayfarer515

Post by Wayfarer515 »

Hello, newcomer here. I just wanted to ask if its true the SSJs will stay with SN? It sounds as if they will only swap the BMA flight to A319, but the rest of the routes will be kept with the wet-lease flights with the Sukhois, can anybody else verify if this is true?

BR.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Wayfarer515 wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 17:01 Hello, newcomer here. I just wanted to ask if its true the SSJs will stay with SN? It sounds as if they will only swap the BMA flight to A319, but the rest of the routes will be kept with the wet-lease flights with the Sukhois, can anybody else verify if this is true?

BR.
Welcome to Aviation24, Wayfarer.

The CityJet contract with Brussels Airlines expires in March 2019. Knowing the problems with the SSJ100s, it is unlikely to be extended.
André
ex Sabena #26567

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

sn26567 wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 18:01
Wayfarer515 wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 17:01 Hello, newcomer here. I just wanted to ask if its true the SSJs will stay with SN? It sounds as if they will only swap the BMA flight to A319, but the rest of the routes will be kept with the wet-lease flights with the Sukhois, can anybody else verify if this is true?

BR.

The CityJet contract with Brussels Airlines expires in March 2019. Knowing the problems with the SSJ100s, it is unlikely to be extended.
Contract won't be extended with the SSJ but they might keep it with Cityjet operating with CRJ's or something else.
Citybird
The flying dream

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

CTBke wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 18:16
sn26567 wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 18:01

BR.

Contract won't be extended with the SSJ but they might keep it with Cityjet operating with CRJ's or something else.
No CRJ’s or Embraers possible from Mother Lufthansa?

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

De SSJ will be fased out starting 28 oct.
They will be replaced by CRJ-900 and CRJ-1000 aircraft from Air Nostrum.

1st 28/10
2nd end of Decembre
2 others in January 2019

Axn75

Post by Axn75 »

And what's your source, if you don't mind me asking?

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

Axn75 wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 16:48 And what's your source, if you don't mind me asking?
Brussels Airlines

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

Kapitein wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 18:49 De SSJ will be fased out starting 28 oct.
They will be replaced by CRJ-900 and CRJ-1000 aircraft from Air Nostrum.

1st 28/10
2nd end of Decembre
2 others in January 2019
Although it's sad to see the SSJ go, I'm glad to read SN will get something decent in return. The CRJ rarely disappoints! Now I wonder whether we'll see an CRJ in full SN colours.

thisguy

Post by thisguy »

Does anyone know why we're going back to the SSJ next week on the Birmingham flight after we had the A319 for over a month ?

Wayfarer515

Post by Wayfarer515 »

thisguy wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 01:36 Does anyone know why we're going back to the SSJ next week on the Birmingham flight after we had the A319 for over a month ?
And there´s the reason for my initial question, I am seeing the SSJ announced on many routes this year and pretty well into 2019, Birmingham and Nantes being the obvious ones, BMA was kind of expected to become an A319 operation, but it does makes you wonder if something else is going on behind scenes, another thing that caught my attention is EI-FWB coming back from its extended C-check directly to operate SN flights, if they were going to start retiring the fleet why bother to do that in the first place? BTW, sept and october data shows a very good dispatch reliability from the SSJ fleet, what changed after the may-june debacle?

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

Flew recently with the sukhoi as well. I was well impressed inside. 1 downside was that i found it pretty noisy. Got also the information that the sukhois will be replaced with the crj’s. No idea if cityjet will get off them permantely.