Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

jan_olieslagers

Re: Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2018

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Wow! That is REALLY bad!

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

What does it mean if this flight office is on strike for the next 24 hours ?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Has that strike really had an impact on LGG traffic?
André
ex Sabena #26567

SR20

Post by SR20 »

sn26567 wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 15:51 Has that strike really had an impact on LGG traffic?
I don't think so. Anyway at 0600 LT the Notam had already disappeared !

Perry

Post by Perry »

any update on strike, seem cargo terminal also affecting, cargo flight was changed the routing landed at other countries.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Not a strike but an extraordinary staff meeting at Swissport, the meeting only lasted for 30 minutes but it has a big impact on the operations of the airport with around 50 delayed flights (I counted them on the Brussels Airport departure page)

https://www.aviation24.be/ground-handli ... r-traffic/

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

luchtzak wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 13:40 Not a strike but an extraordinary staff meeting at Swissport, the meeting only lasted for 30 minutes but it has a big impact on the operations of the airport with around 50 delayed flights (I counted them on the Brussels Airport departure page).
Shortly before noon, Swissport staff resumed work. Swissport’s COO talked to the employees and promised to tackle the issues. According to the trade unions, no new actions are planned for the time being...

I wonder if the COO managed to explain to the employees what this means: a loss of 4.749.131 € in 2017, resulting in a reported loss ay 31/12/2017 of 12.234.599 €.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Ansett wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 15:10 I am not an economist, but my conclusion is that handling fees charged to airlines are too low (this probably also applies to Aviapartner) : suicidal competition!
I'm no economist neither - I just notice the figures. But indeed: both SwissPort and AviaPartner are making huge losses at BRU. So both really need to get more revenu (and reduce costs, probably). Thus rejecting the business if the client is unwilling to pay more.

But then the Belgian disease strikes again, with some people thinking that salary increases, work stoppages and strikes are a basic human right. Even within a company in huge distress like SwissPort, even when the cost of their disruption could lead to the company's final failure.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Passenger wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 16:06
Ansett wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 15:10 I am not an economist, but my conclusion is that handling fees charged to airlines are too low (this probably also applies to Aviapartner) : suicidal competition!
I'm no economist neither - I just notice the figures. But indeed: both SwissPort and AviaPartner are making huge losses at BRU. So both really need to get more revenu (and reduce costs, probably). Thus rejecting the business if the client is unwilling to pay more.

But then the Belgian disease strikes again, with some people thinking that salary increases, work stoppages and strikes are a basic human right. Even within a company in huge distress like SwissPort, even when the cost of their disruption could lead to the company's final failure.
So you can see the management issues but still you fail to understand that the workers are pushed over the edge. Because after all they should just shut up and swallow everything.
In the end, when you throw people in an ocean with no land in sight they may swim for hours but they will give up and hope for a swift end.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

flightlover wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 17:07 So you can see the management issues but still you fail to understand that the workers are pushed over the edge. Because after all they should just shut up and swallow everything.
In the end, when you throw people in an ocean with no land in sight they may swim for hours but they will give up and hope for a swift end.
Their ongoing losses are not an issue for management only. It's something that should concern everybody within the company.

Since many years, shareholders from both Swissport and Aviapartner have zero Return On Investment. And what is answer from their willingness to put more money into the company, year after year? Insults like "they throw people in an ocean with no land insight". Or strikes, aiming to increase the losses even more.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Passenger wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 21:53 Their ongoing losses are not an issue for management only. It's something that should concern everybody within the company.

Since many years, shareholders from both Swissport and Aviapartner have zero Return On Investment. And what is answer from their willingness to put more money into the company, year after year? Insults like "they throw people in an ocean with no land insight". Or strikes, aiming to increase the losses even more.
And how do the workers have influence on the contracts the management negotiates with the clients?

If management is willing to make a loss on everything they do, they should not expect the workers to just suck it up and do the job, even when it is impossible to make good on the promises made by their managers.

If the owners of Swissport and Aviapartner don't like to put more money towards the loss making contracts they can sack the management or force them to only accept money-making contracts.

Perry

Post by Perry »

luchtzak wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 13:40 Not a strike but an extraordinary staff meeting at Swissport, the meeting only lasted for 30 minutes but it has a big impact on the operations of the airport with around 50 delayed flights (I counted them on the Brussels Airport departure page)

many tks for an update, as current situation become worst as cargo unable arrival Belgium including LGG/BRU airport, and seems all connecting from Belgium was broken