Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply
jan_olieslagers
Posts: 2613
Joined: 24 Jun 2006, 08:34
Location: Vl.Brabant
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by jan_olieslagers » 03 Aug 2018, 14:12

Drastic measures are needed at Jet Airways, India's biggest full-service carrier.
Hah! Their own stupid fault! Why did they ever give up their magnificent BRU hub concept? All went SO well, in those days!

<back to normal mode> :mrgreen:


Passenger
Posts: 5560
Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 20:54

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by Passenger » 06 Aug 2018, 20:38

In an open letter to The Times, Alex Cruz, CEO British Airways, complains about the very long waiting time at the border control at London Heathrow.

copy/pasted from BBC, as The Times is for subscribers only:
The boss of British Airways has criticised long queues at Heathrow, saying arrivals face two-hour waits to get through border control. Alex Cruz has written a letter to the Times saying queues at the London airport are "significantly worse" than other major hubs across the world. The letter is in response to proposals for "UK-only" lines after Brexit. The Home Office said most of those arriving at Heathrow passed border control within agreed time limits. These are 25 minutes for EEA (European Economic Area) nationals, and 45 minutes for those coming in from outside that region.

Mr Cruz said UK-only lines were a matter for government, but its priority should be preventing long queues now. The airline chief executive called on Home Secretary Sajid Javid to "take immediate action to address this border farce". Mr Cruz said although the target wait for non-EEA travellers coming into Heathrow was 45 minutes, two hours was "fast becoming the norm". The BA boss said the target was missed 8,298 times last year and the number had already reached more than 6,000 for 2018. He also said that those from within the EEA wait almost an hour.

...

A Heathrow spokeswoman also said delays at border control were too long. "Heathrow is Britain's front door and it should be welcoming, as well as secure. It takes far too long for low-risk passengers who have a right to be here to get through the border, which is unacceptable," the spokeswoman said. "We are calling on the home secretary to allow low-risk passengers from non-EU countries such as the US and Canada to use e-gates, in the same way as our EU friends can."

...

A Home Office spokeswoman said from January to June 2018, more than 95% of people arriving at Heathrow passed border control within the agreed time limits. However, she added: "We understand the frustration for those who have experienced longer waits and remain fully committed to working with our partners to reduce waiting times as far as is possible. "At the same time, we will not compromise the essential checks we carry out at the border which keep our country safe. "We are making sure Border Force has the resources it needs and are deploying 200 additional staff at Heathrow over the summer.

Source:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-45080539

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 33632
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by sn26567 » 06 Aug 2018, 22:30

I like the Border Force being called Border Farce by Alex Cruz. That could sometimes apply to BRU as well.

Now, when the Home Office says 95% of the passengers pass the border within the (generous) time limits, let's make a small calculation. 78 million pax in 2017, from which 73.2 international (I guess the domestic passengers don't pass border control). Let's suppose 50% of them are arriving, i.e.36.6 million. 95% of them pass control within the time limit, thus 5% do not: that's still 1.83 million passengers a year with excessive waiting times at the border or more than 5000 average per day. At all costs it remains a huge problem.
André
ex Sabena #26567

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 10347
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by luchtzak » 09 Aug 2018, 20:32

A Royal Air Maroc Boeing 787 (CN-RGT) landed from Casablanca and was taxiing to its parking position at Istanbul Atatürk Airport when it hit the tail of a Turkish Airlines Boeing 777 (TC-JJZ), almost ready to fly to New York JFK.

Article: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous ... k-airport/



User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 10347
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by luchtzak » 11 Aug 2018, 17:29

An Aeroméxico Connect Embraer ERJ-190 was evacuated at the gate at Mexico City Airport following an APU fire warning



User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 10347
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by luchtzak » 12 Aug 2018, 14:40

Envoy AL/ AA Eagle Embraer E-145 (N655AE) narrowly avoids an airport vehicle crossing the active runway 14 at Springfield, MO, USA. ATC mistakenly gave crossing permission after issuing take-off clearance to flight #AA3660 to Chicago.


User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 10347
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by luchtzak » 12 Aug 2018, 15:38


User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 10347
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by luchtzak » 12 Aug 2018, 15:40


User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 10347
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by luchtzak » 13 Aug 2018, 06:21

Calafia Airlines Embraer E-145 (XY-UVX) evacuated after a smoke warning at Loreto Airport (MMLT), Baja California, Mexico

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 10347
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by luchtzak » 13 Aug 2018, 06:29

luchtzak wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 17:29
An Aeroméxico Connect Embraer ERJ-190 was evacuated at the gate at Mexico City Airport following an APU fire warning
From 30 seconds

Passenger
Posts: 5560
Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 20:54

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by Passenger » 13 Aug 2018, 13:50

Passenger wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 20:38
In an open letter to The Times, Alex Cruz, CEO British Airways, complains about the very long waiting time at the border control at London Heathrow.

copy/pasted from BBC, as The Times is for subscribers only:
The boss of British Airways has criticised long queues at Heathrow, saying arrivals face two-hour waits to get through border control. Alex Cruz has written a letter to the Times saying queues at the London airport are "significantly worse" than other major hubs across the world. The letter is in response to proposals for "UK-only" lines after Brexit. The Home Office said most of those arriving at Heathrow passed border control within agreed time limits. These are 25 minutes for EEA (European Economic Area) nationals, and 45 minutes for those coming in from outside that region.

Mr Cruz said UK-only lines were a matter for government, but its priority should be preventing long queues now. The airline chief executive called on Home Secretary Sajid Javid to "take immediate action to address this border farce". Mr Cruz said although the target wait for non-EEA travellers coming into Heathrow was 45 minutes, two hours was "fast becoming the norm". The BA boss said the target was missed 8,298 times last year and the number had already reached more than 6,000 for 2018. He also said that those from within the EEA wait almost an hour.

...

A Heathrow spokeswoman also said delays at border control were too long. "Heathrow is Britain's front door and it should be welcoming, as well as secure. It takes far too long for low-risk passengers who have a right to be here to get through the border, which is unacceptable," the spokeswoman said. "We are calling on the home secretary to allow low-risk passengers from non-EU countries such as the US and Canada to use e-gates, in the same way as our EU friends can."

...

A Home Office spokeswoman said from January to June 2018, more than 95% of people arriving at Heathrow passed border control within the agreed time limits. However, she added: "We understand the frustration for those who have experienced longer waits and remain fully committed to working with our partners to reduce waiting times as far as is possible. "At the same time, we will not compromise the essential checks we carry out at the border which keep our country safe. "We are making sure Border Force has the resources it needs and are deploying 200 additional staff at Heathrow over the summer.

Source:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-45080539
Same issue, more figures: 2,5 hours waiting time?!

"...On 30 out of 31 days in July, Border Force missed its target of a maximum 45-minute wait for 95% of visitors from outside the European Economic Area. According to the data, the longest immigration queues were on July 6 when passengers from outside the EEA had to wait for up to two hours and 36 minutes..."

https://www.travelmole.com/news_feature ... id=2033560

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 10347
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by luchtzak » 13 Aug 2018, 17:51

This evening around 17:00 at Brussels Airport, clouds gathering above the airport

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 10347
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by luchtzak » 14 Aug 2018, 11:47

luchtzak wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 15:38

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 10347
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by luchtzak » 14 Aug 2018, 12:01


User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 10347
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by luchtzak » 14 Aug 2018, 12:04


Passenger
Posts: 5560
Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 20:54

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by Passenger » 14 Aug 2018, 15:30

European Investment Bank (EIB) renews backing for Copenhagen Airport

Press Release date EIB - 14 August 2018

- DKK 600 million loan to help CPH Airport cater for future growth in air traffic and enhance passenger service standards and operational efficiency.

- Project will guarantee compliance with most recent security and passport control regulations.

- As phase II of project initially financed by EIB in 2016, expansion will enable CPH Airport to handle up to 40 million passengers per year.


The European Investment Bank has signed a DKK 600 million (EUR 81m) loan agreement with Copenhagen Airport (CHP), continuing the longstanding relationship between the two parties. The financing will be used to provide additional passenger processing capacity in the terminals. Copenhagen Airport will also upgrade its baggage security standards by introducing a state-of-the-art passenger and hand baggage security screening concept. In addition, the airport’s capacity will be increased by the addition of further wide-body aircraft stands and a range of other associated airside infrastructure.

“The EIB is pleased to continue its relationship with one of the core network airports of the European Union’s TEN-T framework," said EIB Vice-President Alexander Stubb. He added: “As a frequent user myself, I’m happy that the Bank is supporting CPH with its expansion plan to accommodate up to 40 million passengers – a real milestone!”

“The expansion of Copenhagen airport will provide more capacity, better connectivity for business and pleasure travel and, not least, many new jobs,” said Thomas Woldbye, CEO of Copenhagen Airports A/S. He added: “We are happy that the European Union and the EIB are investing in airport capacity, supporting our major expansion projects that will enable Copenhagen Airport to serve 40 million passengers annually”.

http://www.eib.org/en/infocentre/press/ ... anguage=EN

Passenger
Posts: 5560
Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 20:54

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by Passenger » 15 Aug 2018, 13:11

luchtzak wrote:
03 May 2018, 00:46
Image

Aircraft disassembly and dismantling company AELS has recycled a big part of its recently dismantled aircraft. Last January Twente Airport welcomed one KLM Boeing 747 and two Air France Airbus A340s. The company is now selling aircraft seats (first class / business class / economy class), overhead bins, side wall panels and windows, an A340 exhaust, a cargo door, A340 engine inlets with a suggestion to make a hot-tub or a bar with them and … a Fokker F50 cockpit for €2500 !

http://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/ ... 0-cockpit/
There is another online sale now ongoing at AELS:

Web page:
https://www.aels.nl/news/second-alternative-re-use-sale

List and prices - pdf:
https://www.aels.nl/sites/aels/files/or ... r_2018.pdf

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 10347
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by luchtzak » 15 Aug 2018, 16:00


User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 10347
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by luchtzak » 16 Aug 2018, 06:50


Post Reply