Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 14:46
Boavida wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 14:04
Matt wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 09:54 So yes. The airport represents this kind of cacaphony that is Belgium. A mix of new and old, not sticking to 1 style (I think it's ugly as **** but that's another story )

Point taken :lol:

Atlantis wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 22:09 And where the hell you will go with all the passengers if you want to start from 0 again?? Easy to say from an armchair, but such projects needs to be done in phases to minimise the inconvenience for the pax.
Easy :)

When I say "start from 0", I don't mean demolishing anything but stripping the complete interior and start with a new interior design. This can be done in phases, obviously.

Btw, have you seen pictures of the new extension during the presentation you attended?
What exactly do you want them to change inside? The options in the 90's-terminal are very limited.
As a matter of fact you have some possibilities. First one is to bring the entrance more to the front. What actually will be done.

After, just like Boavida wrote, you have to keep the entrance completely clean and clear. This is the South West Side, so you have plenty of daylight to bring in. Shops should be rather limited in the departure hall. You can keep essential ones like pharmacy, something to drink and eat, but that's it. It should be wider and functional with more space for self check in and manned desks. For the growth its needed to have that space

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Atlantis wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 21:27
Boavida wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 14:04

Point taken :lol:

Easy :)

When I say "start from 0", I don't mean demolishing anything but stripping the complete interior and start with a new interior design. This can be done in phases, obviously.

Btw, have you seen pictures of the new extension during the presentation you attended?
What exactly do you want them to change inside? The options in the 90's-terminal are very limited.
As a matter of fact you have some possibilities. First one is to bring the entrance more to the front. What actually will be done.

After, just like Boavida wrote, you have to keep the entrance completely clean and clear. This is the South West Side, so you have plenty of daylight to bring in. Shops should be rather limited in the departure hall. You can keep essential ones like pharmacy, something to drink and eat, but that's it. It should be wider and functional with more space for self check in and manned desks. For the growth its needed to have that space
But you still remain with the low ceiling in the departures hall above the C/I-rows, renovating the bagage reclaim area is limited to aesthetics only,...

Parts of the commercial area in the dpartures hall are only just build or renovated,...

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 20:40

But you still remain with the low ceiling in the departures hall above the C/I-rows, renovating the bagage reclaim area is limited to aesthetics only,...

Parts of the commercial area in the dpartures hall are only just build or renovated,...
You really have possibilities with this low ceiling. Don't forget that there are a lot of offices. If you remove those offices, to the new build buildings, you can have a really high ceiling with a lot of light and other possibilities

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 20:40

Just to add also this. You can see already the big difference between the Leisure Terminal where you have a high ceiling and bring very bright, and going to the main terminal where you have the low ceiling.
If you make them equal, you can create a huge space.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Well, then let's hope so! Looking forward to more information, renderings,... 8-)

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 14:10 Well, then let's hope so! Looking forward to more information, renderings,... 8-)
In some time. The main start is as from 2025. So there is still time. But we see progress/start of the demolition of Building 2

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

It would be great if they could remove that low ceiling. Or even a part of it, and make the roof gradually lower like this for example:

Curved lines are always more pleasing to the eye ;)

Possibilities are endless, exciting times ahead! :P

JOVAN2

Post by JOVAN2 »

Atlantis wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 15:44

Hi,

Vision 2040 is not existing anymore. The satellite is now fully taken by the police for the next 5 years. By then a whole new building will be constructed for them. Still uncertain, at this moment, what the future will be for the satellite.

The airport still needs to recover from the pandemic and attracting again airlines, long haul is priority now, and pax.
BRU seems forever to be a sick patient, victim of depression and burn out.

Nothing new happens there. They announce something new and even long term plans, which soon die a silent day.

No new airlines, no new destinations,. No new investments for the PAX,

Not even connections to World business places like SIN, HKG, BKK (SQ,CX, TG not coming or not coming back)
Nothing East, nothing West.

With AMS having big cramps, and having to reduce number of flights by more than 10%, BRU remains in sleeping mode....

b720

Post by b720 »

JOVAN2 wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 22:19
Atlantis wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 15:44

Hi,

Vision 2040 is not existing anymore. The satellite is now fully taken by the police for the next 5 years. By then a whole new building will be constructed for them. Still uncertain, at this moment, what the future will be for the satellite.

The airport still needs to recover from the pandemic and attracting again airlines, long haul is priority now, and pax.
BRU seems forever to be a sick patient, victim of depression and burn out.

Nothing new happens there. They announce something new and even long term plans, which soon die a silent day.

No new airlines, no new destinations,. No new investments for the PAX,

Not even connections to World business places like SIN, HKG, BKK (SQ,CX, TG not coming or not coming back)
Nothing East, nothing West.

With AMS having big cramps, and having to reduce number of flights by more than 10%, BRU remains in sleeping mode....
I think that you re being a bit too harsh. We can’t really compare NL F UK and German image abroad to that of Belgium when it comes to tourism even business. We are often overlooked squeezed between those “giants” and best case scenario we re known as Europe’s best kept secret! Add to that that most Belgians travel within Europe. It is more difficult for us to attract lh carriers than it is for amsterdam FRA CDG etc..

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

I agree with you b720.

BRU offers less connections than AMS, CDG or FRA.
Even, if imho, it is definitely easier to have a connection at BRU than CDG, and in most cases also easier than at AMS or FRA, most travelers outside of Europe have never heard or hardly ever heard of Brussels (the capital of Belgium and Europe - where is Belgium ? and they will (wrongly) find it more secure (fear of BRU, the unknown) and "sexier" to connect at AMS or CDG. Well, too bad for them, but that is imho one of the problems of BRU. Lack of visibility (probably due to a lack of promotion).

I do not find the facilities at BRU really a problem. The low ceilings do not bother me, neither does the general look. Imho, it's not worse than AMS, FRA or CDG. You cannot expect BRU to become an airport similar to those you will find in Asia. However, what continues to bother me seriously, is that nothing has been done to improve both the arrival area where people take taxis or the drop off area and bus station. Here improvement can (and should/must) be made. This will not imply huge costs which, anyway, would be an investment in a better airport.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

PopUp wrote: 19 Apr 2023, 20:03 I agree with you b720.

Even, if imho, it is definitely easier to have a connection at BRU than CDG, and in most cases also easier than at AMS or FRA, most travelers outside of Europe have never heard or hardly ever heard of Brussels (the capital of Belgium and Europe - where is Belgium ? and they will (wrongly) find it more secure (fear of BRU, the unknown) and "sexier" to connect at AMS or CDG. Well, too bad for them, but that is imho one of the problems of BRU. Lack of visibility (probably due to a lack of promotion).

I do not find the facilities at BRU really a problem. The low ceilings do not bother me, neither does the general look. Imho, it's not worse than AMS, FRA or CDG. You cannot expect BRU to become an airport similar to those you will find in Asia. However, what continues to bother me seriously, is that nothing has been done to improve both the arrival area where people take taxis or the drop off area and bus station. Here improvement can (and should/must) be made. This will not imply huge costs which, anyway, would be an investment in a better airport.
Imho SN ending up in the Lufthansa Group and joining Star Alliance ultimately wasn't the best option for both SN and BRU.
They'd have been better off as a member of Oneworld (smaller alliance, bigger role to play) and under the umbrella of IAG. SN as a carrier and BRU as a hub would have had way more options.

BRU is idealy located between AMS and CDG. It's not that the potential isn't there, it's underused because of the main operator of the airport being under the wings of an airline group and within an alliance where it can bring very little to the table.

JOVAN2

Post by JOVAN2 »

PopUp wrote: 19 Apr 2023, 20:03 I agree with you b720.

In my opinion, the big problem of BRU is that it run by former auditors. Most of the former EY, KPMG, PwC etc guys & girls are actually bookkeepers, and will always remain bookkeepers.
Not taking commercial risks or initiatives. Just making figures nice and attractive for the shareholders, and cashing their bonus.

What we need more in Belgium, and BRU in particular, is guys like Fernand Huts, P-J De Nul, ... Real ENTREPRENEURS.
BRU is a jewel (as far as location and opportunities are concerned), but a dull place because 75 % of the airport is obsolete.v, unefficien( Pas control pier B arriving and departing, baggage handling etc.. Yawn... Boring place.

Mr. Feist and C° are more like concierges, keeping the place safe and clean. (also important).
But attracting new airlines and expanding the destinations is a non-issue at BRU, it seems.

EBKT

Post by EBKT »

Anyone knows what is going on the parking lot of Brussels Airport. Was there this morning, impossible to find a free spot. Cars are parked everywhere… you hardly could manoeuvre trough with your car…

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

EBKT wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 13:33 Anyone knows what is going on the parking lot of Brussels Airport. Was there this morning, impossible to find a free spot. Cars are parked everywhere… you hardly could manoeuvre trough with your car…
I need to be a lot in the airport for myself, or picking people up/dropping off, and my unscientific impression is that I see *way* more Dutch number plates. But really a lot more.
I think they come less by public transport.

Luckily for people from Brussels and Belgium, we can use much more the STIB and trains.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

EBKT wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 13:33 Anyone knows what is going on the parking lot of Brussels Airport. Was there this morning, impossible to find a free spot. Cars are parked everywhere… you hardly could manoeuvre trough with your car…
Very long weekend in Holland. They have King's day tomorrow and the bridge on Friday + day off on Monday. But a lot of them took this week the whole week off. They prefer to fly from BRU to avoid queues and cancellations at AMS + higher ticket prices from AMS

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

If you want to see the demolition of Building 2, be my guest. The previous weeks the were demolishing inside as everything has to be recycled. So it was not that visible, but now it is

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Building 2
Attachments
DSC05440-Enhanced-NR-3.JPG

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

So happy to see this horrible Soviet-looking building being demolished - finally!

Wondering when BAC is going to communicate about the plans for this area (the extension of the terminal building)...

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Boavida wrote: 30 May 2023, 14:46 So happy to see this horrible Soviet-looking building being demolished - finally!

Wondering when BAC is going to communicate about the plans for this area (the extension of the terminal building)...
On one of this part the new second hotel will be. There is only discussion how many rooms it will have.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Atlantis wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 21:46
Boavida wrote: 30 May 2023, 14:46 So happy to see this horrible Soviet-looking building being demolished - finally!

On one of this part the new second hotel will be. There is only discussion how many rooms it will have.
And how many stars?
André
ex Sabena #26567