Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

PttU

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by PttU »

Atlantis wrote: 22 May 2019, 21:18 Look at the article of KLM, they do the same. You can check in your baggage at a certain point, check yourself in, take the train and at the airport you can go to the gate.
You will see this more and more. Aviation will and has to change

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... stimuleren
That's not the same: in the article it's about KLM, whereas this was about BRU airport.
Furthermore: with KLM you can also check in your luggage, which removes a lot of hassle. In this case it's just about checking in, with the biggest advantage only for those travelling light :)

Stij

Post by Stij »

I agree, If you're travelling without bags there're so many better options to check in...Bags are the problem to solve!

Stij

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Stij wrote: 23 May 2019, 09:43 I agree, If you're travelling without bags there're so many better options to check in...Bags are the problem to solve!

Stij
There might be only one solution, but it's quite expensive: dedicated trains from major railwaystations to Brussels Airport with a seperate luggage compartiment.

b720

Post by b720 »

I think that they must work on their poor punctuality before addressing other issues.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

b720 wrote: 23 May 2019, 11:46 I think that they must work on their poor punctuality before addressing other issues.
They do, but the rail network should be partially opened to private operators and in such scenario BAC may look for a private partner to operate dedicated trains.

In an environment where you want to 'interline' aviation and railtransportation you can't rely on unefficient state companies.

PttU

Post by PttU »

Even a private operator will be dependent on the Infrabel-infrastructure.
Even in an environment without inefficient state companies, there can still be a "person's accident" or something else preventing any traffic on that line passing by.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

PttU wrote: 23 May 2019, 14:19 Even a private operator will be dependent on the Infrabel-infrastructure.
Even in an environment without inefficient state companies, there can still be a "person's accident" or something else preventing any traffic on that line passing by.
Yes, but it's not the Infrabel infrastructure which is the problem, it's the NMBS. The only issue in the infrastructure is the North/South junction which is saturated and the slightest incident has a snowball effect. For most destinations outside of Brussels the NS-junction doesn't have to be passed.

And indeed, accidents can always happen but are actually quite rare.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Just kidding, of course ;-)

Matt

Post by Matt »

2 other things to address at BRU:

1: faster immigration
2: faster luggage retrieval

I was in Tokyo Haneda the other day and OWH MY GOD!

Got of the plane ( long haul ) , got through immigration, got my luggage within 5 minutes and I was on the subway to Shinagawa in less than 30 minutes after disembarking the plane!

Why is this not possible at BRU???? ( Or even within 45-50 minutes? )

b720

Post by b720 »

Matt wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 03:58 2 other things to address at BRU:

1: faster immigration
2: faster luggage retrieval

I was in Tokyo Haneda the other day and OWH MY GOD!

Got of the plane ( long haul ) , got through immigration, got my luggage within 5 minutes and I was on the subway to Shinagawa in less than 30 minutes after disembarking the plane!

Why is this not possible at BRU???? ( Or even within 45-50 minutes? )
Sometimes baggage retrieval at BRU takes longer than
The flight itself!!!

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

There was an appeal/letter from the CEO of Brussels Airport, Arnaud Feist, to the new (future) governments in Belgium. The federal, Flemisch, Brussels and Walloon. Points were to increase the number of trains to BRU bcs this is decided also on federal level. Also to bring more TGV via BRU and to connect it with important European cities. To reach the target of vision 2040 there must be 50% of the travellers coming by train.
Also the aim to connect BRU with metro and tram links.

The next point, comes always back, is the direct connection of the E40 from Leuven to BRU.

Other point is the saturation of the Ring. This makes that is difficult to reach during rush hours or in case of accident

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

When you see that the metro, even at the stop called Kraainem, is strictly on Brussels region soil, and that the new tram lines in Evere are stopping at the Brussels-Flanders region border to meet future trams coming from Flanders... I wouldn't hold my breath.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

BrightCedars wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 09:06 When you see that the metro, even at the stop called Kraainem, is strictly on Brussels region soil, and that the new tram lines in Evere are stopping at the Brussels-Flanders region border to meet future trams coming from Flanders... I wouldn't hold my breath.
For now, yes. The plan however is to have the MIVB/STIB exploit the trams to and from Brussels Airport on infrastructure funded by the Flemish government from the Flanders/Brussels border to the airport. The reason is because MIVB trams run on standard gauge tracks (1,435 m) while the Flemish trams run on meter gauge. I assume the future Brabantnet tramlines will also run on standard gauge track not to interfere with Brussels trams.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

BrightCedars wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 09:06 When you see that the metro, even at the stop called Kraainem, is strictly on Brussels region soil, and that the new tram lines in Evere are stopping at the Brussels-Flanders region border to meet future trams coming from Flanders... I wouldn't hold my breath.
Hey Brightcedars.

Hou have some trams and bus lines from the MIVB going to Flanders.
Now like usual it's a complicated story, till begin 90s you had even more tram lines going to Flanders like to Vilvoorde for example and in the 50s you had several going even till Leuven etc...

In the 50s it was the car that took everything over in Brussels they constructed highways in the middle of the city crazy years...

And in the 90s it was the creation of Federal Belgium that ended the other lines.
For example the line till Vilvoorde stopped in 93 because Flanders did not want to maintain the tracks.

Sad story like usual and if you look to the last election it looks Belgium is at the edge.
Last edited by lumumba on 20 Jun 2019, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Atlantis wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 21:44 The next point, comes always back, is the direct connection of the E40 from Leuven to BRU.
Working on the airport, I very much welcome the idea. But is there already any idea on how it would run? Because between the airport and the E40 there is some pretty densely populated area.

About A-pier West, how certain is the delay mentioned earlier in this thread? Especially in the morning the airport is pretty much saturated. I've even seen a lot of SN-tails pretty far away on remote stands. A-pier West could relieve the pressure by moving SN Africa ops to free up space at the current T-gates which could be used as regular A-gates troughout the day.

And it becomes pretty clear the current terminal can hardly cope with the morning rush. It sometimes becomes overcrowded. T2 should really be in the plans to improve the passenger experience at BRU, even if it would be empty in the afternoon.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Conti764 wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 10:10
Atlantis wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 21:44 The next point, comes always back, is the direct connection of the E40 from Leuven to BRU.
Working on the airport, I very much welcome the idea. But is there already any idea on how it would run? Because between the airport and the E40 there is some pretty densely populated area.

About A-pier West, how certain is the delay mentioned earlier in this thread? Especially in the morning the airport is pretty much saturated. I've even seen a lot of SN-tails pretty far away on remote stands. A-pier West could relieve the pressure by moving SN Africa ops to free up space at the current T-gates which could be used as regular A-gates troughout the day.

And it becomes pretty clear the current terminal can hardly cope with the morning rush. It sometimes becomes overcrowded. T2 should really be in the plans to improve the passenger experience at BRU, even if it would be empty in the afternoon.
Another solution could be to open the satellite for charter and low cost flights for example would be less big investment.

Matt

Post by Matt »

E40/R22/R0 are meant to be dealt with with the upcoming works on the Ring.

More info:

https://www.werkenaandering.be/nl/homepage

However, the Zaventem Interchange between the A201 and the R0 is a huge problem, haven't seen much plans for that.

The idiocy for this is: you go from the most left lane to the most right lane in 500 meters! and there is only 1 lane going to the airport or to the Nato. WHO TOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA ???????

Also he tram lines: I heard it was also a problem that the Brussels gouverment would like Flanders to pay for the infrastructure but not get any benefits from it. i.e. : let the Flemish pay and give them nothing in return for it.

A rumour tough. don't quote me on this !

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

lumumba wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 10:18
Conti764 wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 10:10

Another solution could be to open the satellite for charter and low cost flights for example would be less big investment.
They'll first have to move several offices from the building and the connection between the terminal and the satelite has been cut for the current protocolservice.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

But anyway they gone re open the satellite so they will make a passage.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Conti764 wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 16:50
lumumba wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 10:18
They'll first have to move several offices from the building and the connection between the terminal and the satelite has been cut for the current protocolservice.
In the airport masterplan Strategic Vision 2040 it's foreseen to eventually built Pier C at the location of the current satellite. The office buildings Gateway and Passport have been built taking into account a corridor that will in the future connect the Skyhall/Old Terminal with a new Pier C. The Protocol 'building' is just minor infrastructure that can be easily moved elsewhere with the space retaken for the development of Pier C.

However anyway on the short term that's not a relevant discussion, Pier A West and the development of the multiple-purpose 'building 2' are primary developments in the terminal area.

BRU has crowded peak times, but it's not that it's in desperate need of physical capacity extension. At least not yet. The exact timing of any new very big infrastructure invesment also, as you can imagine, depends on the plans of SN/EW/LH in BRU and it's a but an uncertain period in terms of that to say the least.