When I arrived at BRU a few weeks ago I realised that the current terminal does no longer meet international standards. Especially the entire arrival hall (baggage reclaim area + public arrival area) is WAY too small:
- low ceiling gives it a dated and almost claustrophobic look
- I saw lost baggage being stored next to the luggage belts (near the offices of Swissport & Aviapartner). Apparently they don't have place to store these in sealed off areas. Never seen this at any other airport! It even smelled really bad. I saw bags with destination FIH, OSL, ORD,... You can just take any bag you want!
- there is no daylight anywhere
- the public area of the arrival hall is so cramped. Too many people for a way to small area. Also, not any daylight.
- when you exit the building, you're under an ugly concrete flyover/viaduct
Maybe this terminal design was OK in the 90's, it certainly isn't anymore in 2019, let lone in 2020 or 2040!
They should construct an entirely NEW departure/arrival terminal. A modern, airy design at this location:
There is plenty of space here. Lots of old hangars are already demolished here, they just need to destroy the old Swissport building (is foreseen in a few years). They could build the new terminal while operations continue in the old one, so no problems there. The new terminal perfectly connects to the Connector, Pier A and Pier B. Also plenty of space to arrange a new departures/drop off curb in front of it.
When I see the "BRU 2040" project I have the impression they still want to use the current terminal. But I'm really convinced you can't modernise the current terminal to meet 21st century standards. You just can't. The only option is to build a new one. I hope they realise this and don't waste too much money at an old terminal which simply can't be transformed into a 'terminal of the future'.