Is Flightgear a worthy alternative for MFS?

The place for all your flight-sim experiences, questions, etc...
Conti764

Is Flightgear a worthy alternative for MFS?

Post by Conti764 »

I am looking to purchase a flight simulator.

Since I only want original software, I have to buy them. Microsoft Flight Simulator comes in min, of course. My preference goes to FS2004, since FSX doens't offer too much improvement, requires a heavier machine and has less add-ons then FS04.

But now Flightgear has come in mind. It is free to download, or you pay a sum fairly smaller then for FS, to get the game on a three DVD-set, with all available add-ons, terrain and airports included.

Does anyone have experience with Flightgear? Is it a worthy alternative for Flight Simulator or is Flight Simulator much better then Flightgear?

jan_olieslagers

Re: Is Flightgear a worthy alternative for MFS?

Post by jan_olieslagers »

I looked into it, and couldn't get it to work satisfactorily. And yet I'm a great supporter of the world of open software, indeed FS is one of the few erasons I still have a windows machine.
Perhaps I should have tried harder, I must admit I didn't spend a lot of time on it. After all, MS's Flight Sim is not expensive and quite worth its money, for me at least.
It also seems to me that Flightgear hasn't seen much progress recently, which I consider a bad sign.
My 2 cents...