Armenian A320 crashed into the black sea

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Jense

Armenian A320 crashed into the black sea

Post by Jense »

Tonight, an Armenian Airbus A320 crashed into the black sea on it's way from Armenia to the city of Sochi. 113 people were on board.

Shortly before landing, the A320 crashed down in the little city of Sochi, near the coast. The reason of the crash is probably the bad weather. Heavy rain was noted during approach.

The airplane was one of the airline "Armavia".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first crash of an A320? Can't remember others...

More news:
http://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_mast ... ndex.shtml (NL)
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/05 ... index.html

Or information about Armavia:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armavia (NL)
http://www.armavia.ru/

YYZ727

Post by YYZ727 »

I remember a few other A320 crashes / there was a LH 320 at Warsaw in the early nineties and an AF 320 that crashed during a demonstration (I think it was somewhere in the Alsace (Strasbourg ?). There were casualties in both instances, but i don't know how much.
there have probably been more A320crashes.... (Indian Airlines ?)

MKAirlines

Post by MKAirlines »

757Mech

Post by 757Mech »

Hi all,

From 1988 till now there happened 8 major incidents or crashes with A320 models...
- 26/06/1988 F-GFKC Air France Crash after low level demo
- 14/02/1990 VT-EPN Indian Airlines Landed short of rwy
- 20/01/1992 F-GGED Air Inter Hit ground while on approach in fog
- 14/09/1993 D-AIPN Lufthansa overran rwy and hit earthworks near rwy
- 10/03/1997 A40-EM Gulf Air Lost directional control on T/O overran rwy
- 22/03/1998 RP-C3222 Philippine Airlines Overshot rwy on landing hit buildings
- 23/08/2000 A40-EK Gulf Air After missed approach hit the sea
- 03/05/2006 EK-32009 Armavia Crashed into Black Sea opun approach?

Grts

R

Depretair

Armavia crash

Post by Depretair »

Following the statistics of this website www.aviation-safety.net, this is the 12th lost of an A320. Sad news to begin the day... RIP.

Dutchyboi

Post by Dutchyboi »

was ex ansett australia a320-211 VH-HYO c/n 547

first flew 28/06/95 as F-WWIU, and was then registered to Ansett Australia on 7/08/95; departed Toulouse 31/08/95 on delivery to Ansett and arrived in Melbourne on 3/09/95.

sympathy to victims relatives...never good hearing this kind of news

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

I hope it isn't the start of another series of accidents like last year, it's always extremely sad to see a plane crash

earthman

Post by earthman »

Someone said the plane's age might have something to do with it, but this plane is only 11 years old. What's up with that?

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 »

earthman wrote:Someone said the plane's age might have something to do with it, but this plane is only 11 years old. What's up with that?
And the plane was maintenanced by Sabena Technics by a local team.

earthman

Post by earthman »

Ok so either a faulty FBW microchip like the Gulf Air incident, or windshear.

The plane smacked at a 60 degree angle into the sea. That's a very steep descent, could be windshear. Hopefully the cause will be determined soon.

SilverJET

Post by SilverJET »

It's very sad to hear about this crash, and I hope we will know the cause very soon. My thoughts go to the families and relatives of the crew and passengers. Let them rest in peace.

The plane's registration is : EK-32009. Looks like this plane already visited MST for a repaint in 2004.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0705909/M/
Best Regards Raymond

maaspotter

Post by maaspotter »

The plane's registration is : EK-32009. Looks like this plane already visited MST for a repaint in 2004.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0705909/M/
Indeed, this one visited MST for repaint, (also the other 2 Armavia A320's did)... Are the Armavia's Airbusses grounded? Yesterday I was at EHAM, and there A319 was cancelled last minute....

Very said so many people died in this tragic accident... :cry:
R.I.P

Grts,
rob bominaar

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Concerning the May 3 crash of the Airbus A320 belonging to Armenian airlines during a Yerevan-Sochi flight:
After correcting the deviation the aircraft started descend in accordance with approach chart. At 22:10:45 p.m. the pilot reported wheels down and ready to approach, the controller answered the distance from the runway was ten km, cloud base 190 and visibility 4000 and gave permission for approach. However, in 30 seconds the controller informed the pilot that base of clouds became 100 m and instructed him to stop descend, turn right, execute a missed approach procedure, to climb to height 600 m and contact Radar controller.”

The plane’s collision with water of the Black Sea at a distance of only 6 km from the landing strip, became fatal for it.

earthman

Post by earthman »

So what happened, the pilot didn't turn around and crashed into the water?

regi

Post by regi »

very strange story: with or without the clouds, the pilot should have seen on his instruments (and being automatically warned!) he was too low.
I stick with my point it was a sabotage action. It can not be a coincidance that they lost in the same week another plane in a fire at Brussels.

CX

Post by CX »

so it was basically very low clouds and by the time the plane was below the clouds, it was too late for the pilot to know he missed the runway? How can any cloud be THAT low??

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

CX wrote:so it was basically very low clouds and by the time the plane was below the clouds... How can any cloud be THAT low??
You never saw the Black Sea, CX? Ask El Sympatico, he knows the Black Sea.
regi wrote:I stick with my point it was a sabotage action. It can not be a coincidence that they lost in the same week another plane in a fire at Brussels.
Do I read - between your lines - two times sabotage?
And would you also link the LZ-hacking to that subject, Regi?

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

regi wrote: It can not be a coincidance that they lost in the same week another plane in a fire at Brussels.
Strange saying...how can something not be coincidence? :roll:

In your theory someone would thus have lit the fire on purpose and someone would have bribed the pilot to crash the plane in the black sea?Hmm, another conspiracy theory I just can't believe in...

CX

Post by CX »

SN30952 wrote:
CX wrote:so it was basically very low clouds and by the time the plane was below the clouds... How can any cloud be THAT low??
You never saw the Black Sea, CX? Ask El Sympatico, he knows the Black Sea.
regi wrote:I stick with my point it was a sabotage action. It can not be a coincidence that they lost in the same week another plane in a fire at Brussels.
Do I read - between your lines - two times sabotage?
And would you also link the LZ-hacking to that subject, Regi?
sorry my geography is bad...

so are you suggesting that the clouds can be THAT LOW that the pilot must pretty much 'guess' where the runway is?

SN30952

The Welcoming Sea....

Post by SN30952 »

CX wrote:sorry my geography is bad...
Black Sea (ancient Pontus Euxinus*) is lying between southeastern Europe and Asia Minor. (In other words, it is the border area between Europe and Asia Minor. i more ow everything on 'the other side' in not Europe)
1200 km from East to West, a maximum width of 610 km. It drains at lot of rivers from Asia and Europe, as you can see on the map below, making it abundantly stocked with valuable sturgeon and other fish. But pollution took its part.
Severe storms occur frequently on the sea, particularly during the winter season. The prevailing winter winds are from the North. (That makes Winters very cold in the Trabzon area, where the Black Sea is called, Karadeniz Bölgesi)
Notice the East side has fewer (large) rivers, this mountain area.
Flying East-West, many airlines use a route over the southern shores of the Black Sea.
*Meaning the Welcoming Sea, consider that an euphemism, as the sea is known for its storms and bad weather.... It was called by the Greek, Pontos Axeinos, the unwelcoming...
This is why sailors and... airman fear this sea and its weather.

For some reason Sochi, where the Airbus was bound, was home of the tennis players as Maria Sharapova and Yevgeny Kafelnikov. (Because they were trained there, indeed not all Russians come from Moscow) Sochi is twinned with ... Trabzon.
Further there is evidence that Cro-Magnon man(?), the first ancestor of Europeans, dwelled at Sochi’s Akhtyrskaya Cave some 400,000 years ago, leaving Asia behind him or her.