First three MI-17 ' s delivered to Venezuela.

A place to discuss military aviation: airshows, stunning pictures, weapons, etc...

Moderator: Latest news team

ElcoB

First three MI-17 ' s delivered to Venezuela.

Post by ElcoB » 05 Apr 2006, 11:10

Venezuela has taken delivery of three Russian-built military helicopters - the first of a total of 15 it has so far ordered from Moscow.
(BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4875906.stm )

pietn

Post by pietn » 06 Apr 2006, 19:36

WOW! what a boost :roll: :D

(for those who don't get it: below the picture there talking about a boost for the armed forces)

greetz, pietn

regi

Post by regi » 10 Apr 2006, 14:59

What a shock!
The picture on the BBC website shows in detail a recruit holding a Belgian made FN FAL automatic rifle.
I can tell you one thing: if it would be to target shooting I would prefer the FAL instead off the AK-47.
And the declaration that Venezuela poses now a regional threat with those old soviet helicopters is also ridiculous.

ElcoB

Post by ElcoB » 10 Apr 2006, 20:47

regi wrote:The picture on the BBC website shows in detail a recruit holding a Belgian made FN FAL automatic rifle............
And the declaration that Venezuela poses now a regional threat with those old soviet helicopters is also ridiculous.

The FN riffle is widely spread in South-America since the weapon was made in Brazil .....see ;http://world.guns.ru/assault/as24f-e.htm

The MI-17 is the military version of the MI-8. Thousands of those choppers were exported and still are. Even the restarting Iraqi Airforce has ordered new MI-17's.
The military variants include the Mi-8T transport, VIP transport, electronic warfare, reconnaissance, Mi-8TV armed version and the search and rescue Mi-8MPS. Recent orders include: 40 Mi-8TV helicopters for India, to be fitted with Vikhr-M (AT-16) air-to-surface missiles, delivered by the end of 2001, a number of Mi-17 helicopters for Iran, ten for Malaysia, 20 for Columbia, six for India, 12 for Pakistan and 13 for Venezuela. In February 2005, the Iraqi Air Force ordered ten Mi-17V-5 from Bumar of Poland. In December 2005, the Czech Army received 16 Mi-17SH helicopters as part of a debt settlement with Russia.

Its a very modern, capable machine and weaponsystem. Google for MI-17 and you will be surprised.
A threat? Everything can be used as a such, specially weaponsystems, as is demonstrated by the USA every day.

Rago

Post by Rago » 10 Apr 2006, 21:46

regi wrote:What a shock!

I can tell you one thing: if it would be to target shooting I would prefer the FAL instead off the AK-47.

AK-47 is considered as a toy-gun, because of it's simplicity, but it is far more usable in the "rough field-conditions" than the FAL.

I wouldn't say that the chopper doesn't pose a threat; the strike-capability for the last up-grades is enormous!!