Why no airline orders the A350 except Air Europa?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

cathayoneworld

Why no airline orders the A350 except Air Europa?

Post by cathayoneworld »

Although I am an Airbus' fan, I need to say that B787 Dreamliner is really a successful project (Anyway, I'm not sure it will fly successfully or not.)

So why A350 isn't that popular? I remember LOT wanted to order A350 a few months ago. However, it has changed its mind and order the B787.

So, Congratulations, Boeing! :x
I really hope B787 won't fly in the future. Then, all of the airlines which have ordered the B787 will switch to A350. :lol:
Last edited by cathayoneworld on 07 May 2005, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

Gate-A1

Post by Gate-A1 »

The B-787 program takes nearly 1 and a half year to win big orders.

The A-350 was lanched within the last 6 mouth.

Maybe a answer to your question.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Airbus has its hands full with the A380. The development of the A350 will cost a lot of money, and this money can come only from refundable loans from Airbus shareholders and European governments. Airbus will not ask for this development money until the row with Boeing at the WTO (World Trade Organization) is solved.
André
ex Sabena #26567

BP

Post by BP »

Cathayoneworld wrote:
I really hope B787 won't fly in the future. Then, all of the airlines which have ordered the B787 will switch to A350.
Hi Cathyoneworld I too am an Airbus fan, but I have to disagree with you on the point that you wish the B787 won´t fly in the future. :( One should not think that way. Competition is healthy for both Airbus and Boeing as they will continue to strive to produce a better aircraft. :D

As to the A350 not gaining new order I would wait a few more weeks and wait for the Paris Airshow in June. Airbus loves the spotlight to announce new orders fingers crossed.

Ps: Hope to see some members their. :D :D

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

I really hope B787 won't fly in the future.
You must not be a true aviation fan huh????? Though I disagree with Airbus's idea of the use of the A380, I had to say that the plane flew beautifully. Why can you not just admire a plane for what it is????
"What's this button do?? I don't know, push it and find out................."

BP

Post by BP »

I totally agree with you Knight255 on that one. :D For a true aviation fan we all wish the best for all new models especially ones that promise to revolutionise the airline manufacturing.
As far as am conserned I wish Boeing all the best and to Airbus wake up and smell the coffee, do something quickly to gain new orders. :D

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

My opinion, if the A350 is going to compete on the same level as the 787, Airbus MUST create an all-new design. An A330 derivative will not offer the same efficiencies. Look at how the market responded to a 747 derivative vs. the A380. :wink:

cathayoneworld

Post by cathayoneworld »

You are right, Knight255 and BP. I must love all the planes built by different manufacturers coz I know that I am a true fan of aviation. So, hope that Airbus and Boeing can win as many A350/B787 orders as they can.
My opinion, if the A350 is going to compete on the same level as the 787, Airbus MUST create an all-new design.
Umm... You are right too. A350 is quite similar to A330. But I'm sure that there are some differences between them. I think Airbus should publish more details as possible to attract more airlines to order them. Airbus should work harder design a truely new airplane that can compete with B787.

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

there are some differences between them.
Exactly, there are only some differences, they should be completely different in order to compete. So if things go well with the development of the A380, I take it then that Airbus could start paying more attention to the A350 right??? Any idea how long this could take?

bits44

Post by bits44 »

I think there are a number of factors to remember regarding the proposed A350, one the Sales Dept, has only been given authority to offer, the authority to actually produce the aircraft has not been given. The one order they do have is only an MOU.

The financing of the aircraft is still very much up in the air, Airbus wants more grants from the Goverments involved in producing the Aircraft, this is not likely to happen in view of the current dispute with the U.S. over non-repayable loans. If in fact they do not receive the loans, Airbus is not in a financial position to proceed with its own operating capital.

They are in a negative cash flow position with the A380, with all the production problems, and overweight penalties they are facing, they don't have any spare cash laying around to finance the project.

With Boeing already filling the order book with 787 orders, and airlines planning ahead for delivery slots, they want to get their orders in now! to ensure delivery when they are needed.

KT

Volare

Post by Volare »

Simple as it is too new to have many orders, Im surprised Air Europa has shown intrest since there is no specs or anything available. Maybe there is and only the ailines know ;)

Give it time.

bits44

Post by bits44 »

Its been reported that Emirates may announce an order for the A350 at the Paris show, but not yet confirmed.

KT

Andries

Post by Andries »

bits44 wrote:Its been reported that Emirates may announce an order for the A350 at the Paris show, but not yet confirmed.
KT
And not a small one either ... I heard for up to 50 planes (incl. options offcourse)

Greetz,

:twisted: Andries :twisted:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

bits44

Post by bits44 »

bits44 wrote:Its been reported that Emirates may announce an order for the A350 at the Paris show, but not yet confirmed.

KT

Oops! maybe this announcement is wishful thinking on Airbus' part, stories circulating at Boeing are there may be a major order for 787-9's, they did say they were holding onto a very very large order to be announced at Paris.
One drawback about the 350 was it has yet to be committed to production, whereas the 787 is already being built.

Should be interesting at Paris.

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

When reading the discussion about the B787, I see that it has a lot of orders already. In those discussions people also do talk about the delivery slots. I know what it is, but I asked myself the following question.
Why does Boeing not expand the production line (or opens maybe a second one) when it seems that there is sufficient demand from the airlines? Because then they can deliver more aircraft in the same timespan, thus not losing orders to competitors because of no early delivery slots being available.
The only answer I could come up was that they want to spread the deliveries over a longer timespan, and not producing B787 like crazy for let's say five years, whereafter the production lines would be empty because all the orders where delivered that fast.
Could anyone shed some light on this?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Today I have read an article in 'The Sunday Times' that Emirates will place an order for 50 aircrafts of the A350!! :lol:
More details at the Paris Air show.

beaucaire

Post by beaucaire »

http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/news/?ID=8399

seems things are moving in the right direction....

boeing797

Post by boeing797 »

Maybe A350 spec is not attractive enough to airlines? But I don't think it's a big problem for A350.
The fact that it is a derivative of A330 doesn't mean airbus cannot win more orders. In my opinion, as long as Airbus can offer prices, and stuffs that airlines see they can make money with A350, airlines would pick A350. Again the bottom line is airlines have to make profit with the planes they choose. It is learned that Emirates love b787 but it's too small for some of the routes they want to operate b787 for.

HorsePower

Post by HorsePower »

boeing797 wrote:Maybe A350 spec is not attractive enough to airlines?
Do you realize that the A350-900 is going to be more efficient than the B777-200ER?

Seb.

A318

Post by A318 »

The A350 is an "old" model just a little polished and the 787 is a completely new design.
Since Air Europa is Spanish I may asume politics has also a slight influence on their decision.

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal