Impact of the New A-380

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

dieseljak

Post by dieseljak »

A318 wrote:A huge growing market for the cargo carriers but in the future I expect the A380 too big for pax.
Everybody knows I follow the idea from Boeing, a small, fuel efficient plane that is flying point to point instead of the hub and spoke idea from Airbus.
But.........the future will tell :)

Greetz,

Erwin
Not too many airports falling over themselves to welcome it onto their tarmac. They are either unable or unwilling to stump up the extra finance involved in having such a large guest.

Low cost point to point travel has turned this Industry on its head.
Sept 11 helped to speed things up.
Transatlantic travel took a battering (big jets) whilst the no-frills operators
continued to put bums on seats.
Our captains of industry went AWOL and business high-fliers became no-fliers. Dust became the only occupant of the executive lounge.
However, your ordinary Joe just wouldn't stay at home.
He's becoming more adventuresome all the time, and he is not interested in a side trip to some bloody great big hub to go through another round of security checks and have to pay for them just to get on a big aeroplane.
His requirements are simple - he wants to use his local airport to get on a plane that takes him directly to where he wants to go at a price he can afford. Some people and airlines may argue that this is not feasible....So be it.
Enter the 787!!!
I'm no great fan of Boeing, but, if I had to, I'd put my money on them.

Cheers,

Jak.

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

Some people and airlines may argue that this is not feasible
I spit on those people!!! :x In aviation, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is possible!!!
"What's this button do?? I don't know, push it and find out................."

WreckageTrail

Post by WreckageTrail »

A380 will hopefully be as epoch making as the B747 was at its introduction.
It sure looks the goods to me. I expect hundreds of these beauties to be cruising above the clouds accompanying hundreds of B787's.

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

BTW: the first will be at 26/04/2005 according to my latest info.

A318

Post by A318 »

dieseljak, first of all welcome to this forum and I have to agree with your post.
I do think also that a lot of people prefer direct flights in smaller airplanes then the hub and spoke system Airbus is betting on.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

gwillie

Post by gwillie »

Here's practical impact for you....

$20m USD for now, $50.75m total to re-fit LAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413 ... 36,00.html

'Haven't heard any cost projections from Canadian airports yet but, with all of them running 'on their own' (no government running subsidies), we just know who's going to end up paying for all this. So, with Cdn PAX already screaming bloody murder about current airport usage fees and security surtaxes (all these are added to the advertised ticket price in Canada), ooolala!

I'd say that, if operators of the A380 want to fill their flights, these new costs are going to need to be absorbed in the new fare structures....translation, lower advertised fare costs.

Of course, only 3, maybe 4 Cdn airports need to 'gear up' for the 380....Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and maybe, Halifax I'd say....

Any other Cdn thoughts/perspectives out there ?????????

gwillie

Post by gwillie »

After all the crowing, the rubber hits the road....

World's airports weigh risks of big new Airbus
... the excitement faded. The A380...is going to be more of a burden, and a risk...than Airbus likes to suggest...boost Heathrow's capacity by nearly 10 million people without adding a single new flight...the arithmetic is more troubling. Atlanta, the world's busiest airport, has already said it does not plan to upgrade for the A380;. "Why would airports not want to adapt? They'll have to adapt," said Richard Carcaillet, the head of product marketing for the A380.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/04/29/ ... airbus.php

air travel pushing limits....

industry risks being overwhelmed...By 2025 over 60 European airports will be congested...delays and cancellations...rise and congestion at Europe's top 20 airports...so bad that operators are forced to turn away planes...The A380 is so big most airports have to stop other plane traffic or re-route it while an A380 is landing or taxiing.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/ ... ight_x.htm

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

Atlanta, the world's busiest airport
Sorry to do this, but it's in the name of my home state. Chicago's O'Hare is the world's busiest airport (in terms of departures and arrivals). Atlanta is the world's busiest in terms of passengers.
"What's this button do?? I don't know, push it and find out................."

bits44

Post by bits44 »

The FAA and the Airline pilots Assoc. have raised some concerns regarding the certification of the A380.

http://www.ndt.net/news/2005/20050501a380.htm

gwillie

Post by gwillie »

as predicted.........
Super-jumbo costs push up takeoff tax

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3282699a13,00.html

A318

Re:

Post by A318 »

A318 wrote: 14 Apr 2005, 22:07 A huge growing market for the cargo carriers but in the future I expect the A380 too big for pax.
Everybody knows I follow the idea from Boeing, a small, fuel efficient plane that is flying point to point instead of the hub and spoke idea from Airbus.
But.........the future will tell :)

Greetz,

Erwin
14 years ago I posted above reaction on the introduction of the A380, now reading the news today it turns out I was completely right. Too big, too inefficient.

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... -naar-flop
A Whole Different Animal