Impact of the New A-380

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

gwillie

Impact of the New A-380

Post by gwillie »

It's obvious that the introduction of this aircraft will mean major changes to commercial aviation, impacting many areas.

Could we use this thread to discuss what some of those are/will be?

One of these discussions is already underway
here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10239

On this topic, Aviation Experts to Meet in Frankfurt for Airbus A380 Superjumbo Conference http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/arch ... c5285.html

More details are here
http://www.a380conference.com/

So, what changes do YOU foresee?????????????

A318

Post by A318 »

A huge growing market for the cargo carriers but in the future I expect the A380 too big for pax.
Everybody knows I follow the idea from Boeing, a small, fuel efficient plane that is flying point to point instead of the hub and spoke idea from Airbus.
But.........the future will tell :)

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Komkommerkom

Post by Komkommerkom »

I think it's just a matter of time before the A380 will take over the heavy traffic routes from the 747. It's just more economical.

The 'Boeing concept' of small planes that fly point to point is not suitable in every situation in my opinion. It's just impossible to connect all airports with each other with one flight. And it's too expensive too (2 pilots for 200 passengers versus 2 pilots for 600 passengers). I think changeovers and big planes will always be necessary.

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

A huge growing market for the cargo carriers
I agree completely!!
It's just impossible to connect all airports with each other with one flight.
Nothing is impossible!!!! (Especially in the field of aviation.) Who would have thought that ~100 years after the first controlled flight that an airplane the size of the A380 would be built, let alone fly?!?!! I say again, nothing is impossible!!
"What's this button do?? I don't know, push it and find out................."

sn26567

Re: Impact of the New A-380

Post by sn26567 »

gwillie wrote:On this topic, Aviation Experts to Meet in Frankfurt for Airbus A380 Superjumbo Conference http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/arch ... c5285.html
And, of course: https://www.aviation24.be/article8345.html
André
ex Sabena #26567

FlightSimCrew

Post by FlightSimCrew »

A318 wrote:A huge growing market for the cargo carriers but in the future I expect the A380 too big for pax.
Everybody knows I follow the idea from Boeing, a small, fuel efficient plane that is flying point to point instead of the hub and spoke idea from Airbus.
But.........the future will tell :)

Greetz,

Erwin
I do not think it will be too large, not for a couple of destinations though but I beleive that far to many have been ordered right now.. not all O&D will be able to take this kind of volume at good prices..

A318

Post by A318 »

I agree and what is going to happen when the A380's are not going to be full?
A huge fuel consuming plane flying with, lets say, 200 passengers?
If that happens the pax A380 will be very soon converted into freighter too.
But once again, we will see what is going to happen in the future.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

earthman

Post by earthman »

I think they might convert them so only the upper deck has pax, the lower deck would be cargo-only.

Avro

Post by Avro »

very interesting topic ;)

In my opinion there will certainly be a market for the A380, but probably not as big as Airbus is claiming and certainly not in all parts of the world. Flights over the Atlantic connecting the US with Europe will certainly not be a market where you will find many A380's if any. I see the A380 more suited for the Asian market.

And as a cargo plane the A380 will certainly be very popular. But even if the total cargo volume of the A380 is bigger than the one of the B744F would it be able to take huge pieces of cargo like the B744 does ? that is the question. The A380 doesn't have a nose cargo door like the B747 does and thus I expect that some goods will only be able to transport with B747's and not with A380's. So in fact the B744F's won't die that quickly ;)

Chris

regi

Post by regi »

We will all be stunned within 5 years when there is a huge fleet of these monsters hovering around. You will see 600 cheap package tourists been dropped of at Miami in 1 go. Or Bangkok. We will see shiploads of expat brittish doing the yearly pilgrimage from Australia to UK for 400£. This mamoth will be a real air bus.

brakes_78

Post by brakes_78 »

SN30952

Success of mass tractors depends on ground accomodation?

Post by SN30952 »

regi wrote:We will all be stunned within 5 years when there is a huge fleet of these monsters hovering around. You will see 600 cheap package tourists been dropped of at Miami in 1 go. Or Bangkok. We will see shiploads of expat brittish doing the yearly pilgrimage from Australia to UK for 400£. This mamoth will be a real air bus.
Not so much me 1), regi
If I read you well, regi, the A380 is not for luxury travel but for mass transport?
1) Then the A380 will be the tractor of asian mass movements.
Then there is a problem in the hospitality business: hotels are not fitted to handle in and out such huge numbers. Since you assume the mass is not using luxury accommodations, there will be a need for (huge) 3-star hostels and hotel at both ends of A380 flights.
In a way the success of these mass tractors depends on ground accomodations? French Accor is Europe's leader and one of the world's largest groups in Hotels ans Services. Do we have to look in that direction?

moons

Post by moons »

Hi,

I found this video of the first test runs of the A380.
But it doesn't lift up yet. :wink:

http://www.atcbox.com/modules.php?name= ... est%20Runs

greets
moons

regi

Post by regi »

Nice point SN , about the hotels. For airport hotels it will be hectic. But i think that most large cities have no problem to lodge 600 passengers instead of 400.
I don't know if there will be more passengers. But the spreading of arrival and departure will be less.
I have been thinking about the impact as a traveller on a A380.
I can imagine that it will take more than an hour just for boarding. Imagine the departure lounge.
And when you arrive at Johannesburg with just 2 immigration booths open, well, the disadvantage will be at the travellers end.
When a checked passenger doesn't show up, his luggage has to be deboarded. Can take sometimes an hour. But with a A380, how long will that take?
If they will give 34 inch seatpitch, you won't hear me complaining. But if the major ones stick to their lethal 31" , there is no advantage for the traveller .

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

Avro wrote:In my opinion there will certainly be a market for the A380, but probably not as big as Airbus is claiming and certainly not in all parts of the world. Flights over the Atlantic connecting the US with Europe will certainly not be a market where you will find many A380's if any. I see the A380 more suited for the Asian market.
I totally agree with that, there will be a market but not such a big one as Airbus want us to believe. Look at the B747, it also was to big in the early and late seventies when every major airline ordered them but could not fill them up. Eventually the B747 has found it's place within the airline market, but on many routes smaller aircraft are used.

I think the same will go for the A380.

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

Something that just came to my attention is with airport lounges. With 500 plus passengers in the gate area, the restaurants lucky enough to be situated next to an "A380 gate" could reel in some nice money!!! :wink:

earthman

Post by earthman »

I can already imagine an episode of CSI where a dead man rolls out on the baggage carousel, and it turns out to be one of two candidate restaurant owners who were competing for the spot next to the A380 gate.

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A318

Post by A318 »

What I do notice in this topic is that also the 1st completely pro A380 aviation nuts also get back on their previous feelings, is this correct?
Do people finally see that this "monster" is a little too much asked?
Or is this all my imagination? ;)

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

earthman

Post by earthman »

I'm still all for the A380, doesn't mean I can't make fun of it though.