What about the future of Sn Brussels Airlines ?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

flyexel

What about the future of Sn Brussels Airlines ?

Post by flyexel »

I was wondering if some of you know what the plans of SNBA are for the future...
Are they planning to expand in Africa ?Will they add some new destinations?Will they change the long haul equipment ?
I really hope to see some of that expantion here in brussels,would be nice and good strategie if they want to join a big alliance like One World for ex.

Sn Brussels Airlines is our national carrier and look how small their package of destinations are....They have do grow!

HorsePower

Post by HorsePower »

To my knowledge, SN is a little bit closer from Star Alliance than OneWorld. For the moment, they have to focus on their merger with Virgin Express.

Regards

Seb.

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Sn Brussels Airlines is our national carrier

I'm sorry, but I do not agree to call SNBA our national carrier. For me there was only 1 national carrier in Belgium and that was Sabena. SN is just a small private company, nothing more, nothing less. And they are growing, although only by creating new codeshare agreements.

SicilianFalcon

Post by SicilianFalcon »

Would be good as the national airline of Belgium to have Belgium in their name rather then just Brussels? But thats just my opinion.

8) Forza!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Let's not call it our Belgium's national carrier, but Belgium's flagship carrier, i.e. the major airline of the country.

It need not have the name Belgium in its name. See LH, KL, LO, EI, etc.: none of these flagship carriers has the name of its country.
André
ex Sabena #26567

maximenaeyaert

Post by maximenaeyaert »

sn26567 wrote:Let's not call it our Belgium's national carrier, but Belgium's flagship carrier, i.e. the major airline of the country.

It need not have the name Belgium in its name. See LH, KL, LO, EI, etc.: none of these flagship carriers has the name of its country.
i agree with you, and sn will probably extend their network in Africa( see article with Rob Kuijpers) and they would fill a gap in the market with flight's to China, but i'm afraid this is not for near future.
max

Avro

Post by Avro »

Could you provide us a link to that article pls ?

Chris

SicilianFalcon

Post by SicilianFalcon »

Never said they did ... But to have an Airline named after 1 city as the national carrier I wouldnt like.

8) Forza

themole

What about it?

Post by themole »

flyexel wrote:Are they planning to expand in Africa ?
No.
flyexel wrote:Will they add some new destinations?
Maybe 1 or 2, operated with own equipment that is.
But don't ask me which ones, because I :shutup:.
flyexel wrote:Will they change the long haul equipment ?
No, though the interiors will be refurbished.

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Well, one of the new European destinations for next summer already leaked out on the web anyway, so it isn't a secret to give it here once more:

As from the end of March, SN is going to open a brandnew service to GLASGOW, operated with BAe146.

These SN operated flights will also bear a BA flight number and will leave early morning and late afternoon, allowing for smooth connections on SN's European flights, something vital to make this new route profitable.

At present GLA doesn't have many direct links with south and central Europe, nor is it served by global 'network carriers' like LH or AF, so SN (with the help of BA as code share partner) has a good chance of succesfully filling those 2 daily flights.

themole

Post by themole »

I second the comment of member 'tolipanebas', and confirm Glasgow as a new SN Brussels Airlines destination.

Also take a look at the following topic, where I already clearly hinted Glasgow as a new SN Brussels Airlines destination. :arrow: https://www.aviation24.be/postlite7142-.html

SN30952

a brandnew service? Come on.

Post by SN30952 »

tolipanebas wrote:As from the end of March, SN is going to open a brandnew service to GLASGOW, operated with BAe146....so SN (with the help of BA as code share partner) has a good chance of succesfully filling those 2 daily flights.
Yes, call that an expansion... Here are 3 more expansions:
GLASGOW >>G L A S G O W
G L A S G O W >> G L A S G O W >> G L A S G O W

SN is going to open a brandnew service? Come on.
Here is a SABENA BAC1-11 on approach into Glasgow... Image

Is your memory short?
Here is what happened on Wednesday, 3 October, 2001: Sabena files for bankruptcy:
London City Airport said it had detained one of Sabena's aircraft.
Charles Buchanan, the airport's head of business development, said: "We have detained one aircraft pending clarification of their financial situation,"
The airline owed money for airport services, Mr Buchanan said.
British airport operator BAA said it had delayed a Sabena plane at its Glasgow airport earlier on Wednesday but the aircraft had now departed.

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

You may argue that SN Brussels Airlines is indeed just plain old Sabena in disguise, but I know of quite a lot of members on this forum who will take a shot at you for that, so yes, for SN Brussels Airlines (which is now the official holder of the ex-Sabena IATA abreviation) GLASGOW is a brandnew destination.

SN30952

(Nieuwe) Wijn in oude zakken...

Post by SN30952 »

tolipanebas wrote:You may argue that SN Brussels Airlines is indeed just plain old Sabena in disguise, but I know of quite a lot of members on this forum who will take a shot at you for that, so yes, for SN Brussels Airlines (which is now the official holder of the ex-Sabena IATA abreviation) GLASGOW is a brandnew destination.
(Nieuwe) Wijn in oude zakken...

maximenaeyaert

Post by maximenaeyaert »

tolipanebas wrote:You may argue that SN Brussels Airlines is indeed just plain old Sabena in disguise, but I know of quite a lot of members on this forum who will take a shot at you for that, so yes, for SN Brussels Airlines (which is now the official holder of the ex-Sabena IATA abreviation) GLASGOW is a brandnew destination.
i completely agree with you!

sn-remember

Re: What about the future of Sn Brussels Airlines ?

Post by sn-remember »

flyexel wrote:...Sn Brussels Airlines is our national carrier and look how small their package of destinations are....They have do grow!
I know some people in this forum who will agree with you and I am one of them...
In the case of SNBA the results are far beyond the common expectations but the company has the immense merit to exist ;o)

Of course it dramatically lacks ambition : The intercontinental level is dropped with the timid exception of the 3 A330s serving as an (involuntary ?) heritage of the exSabena's african network.

The present paradigm is the "niche" development as opposed to the "overall" development.
And the niche here is obviously the city of Brussels as the name of the Co indicates, but Brussels perceived as a european city rather than a city in the world.

There are different points of view and why not approach the development process from the "regional" point of view ?
I mean beyond developing just a one star network around 1 base (BRU), why not try to focus on a multi base (mesh) network ! Of course you can argue with lots of pertinent objections but my point is that the ambition (and the imagination ?) seems to lack ..

Also on the "niche" definition we can discuss :
Do you think that the present african network of SNBA is a typical "niche" example ?
I think not. To become one it should at least double !
The latin american network of Iberia souds to me a better example of a niche ! A sensible difference in scale don't you think so ?

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

Sn added 6 new destinations last summerseason: Moscow and St Petersburg, Oporto, Istanbul, Casablanca and Warsaw (Code share excluded)
Only one this summerseason ? Glasgow?

And in this article https://www.aviation24.be/article7211.html

The airline also plans to expand its flights to Western Europe, from Africa, to respond to a 9 percent increase in traffic on this route between 2003 and 2004.

Can we expect more flights from Africa ?

Greetings,

Airbuske :) [/list]

Avro

Post by Avro »

I don't think you will get more flights to Africa. To make more flights to Africa SN needs more long haul planes, and as you know they won't lease one additional plane in the near future. So forget about the expansion on the African continent.

Chris

fly

Post by fly »

hello lads,

what SN Brussels Airlines needs is an urgent invester to take over the company and a brandnew management.
A management that has balls and uses its imagination but for that a large capital injection is needed maybe some big arab carier or somebody like Richard Branson will take over the SN Airholding so expansion can take place for both longhaul and short to medium haul.
Wasn't that the plan anyway , to sell SnBA in 2006?

best regards... :roll:

BBKing

Post by BBKing »

The SNBA management provides at this moment what is the most important asset on the long term: PROFIT !!

Very carefully they are expanding the network, but always with profit as goal.

Last years we have seen plenty of people setting up a carrier, dreaming about expansion, doubling the fleet every year, ...

Most of them ended at the Commercial Court filing for bancruptcy.

A steady and carefull grow is what is needed bySNBA, remaining profitable at all times. As far as I'm concerned, the management is doing a great job !!!