Ethiopian coming to BRU?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

SN30952

Sooner than you think?

Post by SN30952 »

etihad wrote:
SN30952 wrote:An Addis Abeba - Brussels - Toronto would be two quite even sectors.
Therefore, they need 5th freedom rights. If those are not granted, we won't see Ethiopian in Brussels anytime soon.
Maybe sooner, than you think, dear Union,
My answer to that is in the 'Brussels-Phuket with BelgiumExcel'-forum of Erna, where I answered also your other questions.

waldova

Post by waldova »

etihad wrote: Addis Ababa - Brussels - Toronto - Brussels - Addis Ababa is indeed the routing ET is interested in.
This would be really great for Brussels. This way we get two new routes that don't exist yet. One to Toronto and one to Addis Ababa. For SN the best thing would be to have code shares with Ethiopian. Also they should then manage to get code shares with Ethiopian from Addis Ababa to other cities in Africa.
If they don't do the codeshare they get a new concurrent. Of course this would be really nice for the passangers, reducing the prices to Africa because with SN they are really high.

Also BRU misses a link to Canada. Only in the summer there is Montreal, YUL, with Air Transat. I know a lot of people who would be interested in a regular flight during the whole year to Canada.

So Ethiopyan, please come to BRU!!! We are waiting for you and please choose BGS as Handling Partner!!!!

Tatay

Post by Tatay »

Something that might be of interest to both SN Brussels Airlines and Ethiopian is:

SN Brussels Airlines operates the Brussels - Toronto - Brussels flights (with a A330-300) in code-share agreements with Ethiopian.
Ethiopian operates the Addis Ababa - Brussels - Addis Ababa flights (using their appropriate aircraft) in code-share agreements with SN Brussels Airlines.

This would give a passenger flying from Toronto to Addis Ababa the opportunity to experience the two airlines.

Plus, let's admit that we'd really like to see SN Brussels Airlines on the North American continent. :D
Last edited by Tatay on 14 Sep 2004, 04:34, edited 1 time in total.

waldova

Post by waldova »

Tatay wrote: Plus, let's admit that we'd really like to see SN Brussels Airlines on the North American continent. :D
I have read somewhere a couple of months ago that SN Brussels Airlines has acquired the old Sabena Slots in Canada. Is this a sign that one day they will start operations to Canada again?
I really hope so. In my opinion there is a big market gap at BRU to Canada.

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Those slots is just a codeshare with AA to Montreal via Chicago.

OrientThai

Post by OrientThai »

BRU is confirmed!!!
Here is the source:http://www.atwonline.com/indexfull.cfm?newsid=4808

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Yoepie yoepie yoepie yoepie yoepie.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

Great news!!!

TkPol

Post by TkPol »

Per the info on the following page, Ethiopian has a plan to fly to Brussels.

http://www.atwonline.com/indexfull.cfm? ... newsletter

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

TkPol, your link is to the same article as OrientThai.
Last edited by sn26567 on 10 Dec 2004, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Beloxi

Post by Beloxi »

Probably some old news already, but ETH is moving it's cargo operations from Ostend to Brussels. The first flight out of BRU should be somewhere in January. A spokesman of ETH said that they have much more expansion possibilities in BRU and onward connections to the USA. Rumours say ETH has a contract with DHL for the next years, which would explain the move from OST to BRU.

nelly747

Post by nelly747 »

Lyulka wrote:
The CEO who expressed preparations to create hub in West Africa said also that Ethiopian is currently striving to widen its market accesses to Brussels, Toronto and Abudabi
I've got the feeling this does not mean they will operate a flight into Brussels. Looks more like a code share to me...
Are they still operating flights to Ostende? Perhaps it's just about moving from Ostende to Brussels?
Hi, I'm working on airport of Ostend and can confirm that ET is leaving Ostend and going to BRU because of expansion and taking on passengers

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

OrientThai wrote:BRU is confirmed!!!
Here is the source:http://www.atwonline.com/indexfull.cfm?newsid=4808

Remember what I said in August: Maybe sooner, than you think.
Ethiopia has a very nice portfolio of traffic rights.

Avro

Post by Avro »

That's a very good news. I wish them good luck on the BRU route and hope to see them over here for a long time.

Chris

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Hi everybody.
But when do they start?
Regards
Pat
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

Giving Ethiopian Airlines a freedom to serve the BRU-TOR route sounds not so opportune to me..
Why ?
Because there should be other interesting candidates serving better BRU airport development.
For ex why not a Singapore-BRU-Toronto route to enforce Singapore Airlines presence in BRU or in the same vein why not a Delhi-BRU-Toronto route to attract the indian national carrier ?
Anyway this BRU-TOR route should be served on a daily basis and I don't see Ethiopian doing that.
Don't misunderstand me , I don't want to underrate the Ethiopian carrier which is really doing a wonderful show since a very long time in the airlines business.
Another topic: Concerning SN rights to Canada, I don't see many travellers happy to stop in Chicago on their way to Montreal..
Lots have been said on the high potential of the BRU-YUL route and we cross our fingers to see again one day a belgian carrier on this route on a regular basis.

YYZ727

Post by YYZ727 »

BRU-YYZ would be great news, by any airline, though i agree to be viable you need a daily service on this route.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sn-remember wrote:Anyway this BRU-TOR route should be served on a daily basis and I don't see Ethiopian doing that.
Why? Even Sabena did not fly daily to Montreal, its only Canadian destination. And now there is even less transit traffic through Brussels to justify a daily flight to Canada.
Last edited by sn26567 on 13 Dec 2004, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

sn26567 wrote:
sn-remember wrote:Anyway this BRU-TOR route should be served on a daily basis and I don't see Ethiopian doing that.
Why? Even Sabena did not fly daily to Montreal, its only Canadian destination. And now there is even less transit traffic thropugh Brussels to justify a daily flight to Canada.
Yes Andre SN was flying daily to Montreal (Dorval at the time)
And also daily non-stop flights to Boston, Washington, Chicago, Dallas plus two daily flights to New York...(2001 summer timetable)
True, everyone knows that you better have some feeder service at the 2 end of such daily nonstop links but that is how airlines build their network...
Also when I dreamed about a daily Brussels-Toronto BRU-YTO route, I was seeing this as the 2nd leg of a flight served by an asian carrier.... thus the feeding was there.
Of course some sort of cooperation with SNBA is certainly a plus as SNBA has now quite some experience in the sharing of 3d party flights ...
Why daily ?
Because it is a must if you want to aquire a name (and therefore a profit) in this extremely competitive market.

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Wel, at the moment SN could attract more passengers to Montreal if it is possible to find this city back at flysn.com. I only see Montreal in their timetable and at the indexpage (america--> canada, antilles, states). But nothing on their map with destination or booking form....