The Beer Topic!

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
Comet

The Beer Topic!

Post by Comet »

Seeing as some people seem to object to beer being mentioned on other threads, here is one topic where we can talk about beer as much as we like without ruining other threads, and in the Luchtzak Pub it can't be off topic, can it?

Sloeber is the best golden ale in Belgium, end of argument.

Orval tastes like oral polio vaccine without a sugar lump.

Rochefort 10 is to dark beers what Sloeber is to goldens (ie the best!)

Stella Artois is brewed in Leuven and nowhere else!

Brugs is better than Hoegaarden, which tastes like soapy water.

The best Abbey-style beer is Ename, followed by Tongerlo and Ciney.

Ara Bier is nice but not for beginners because it has a bitter aftertaste, provided in part by Goldings hops.

What does anyone else have to say about beer?
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

A Blonde Leffe can really taste, and Maes Pils is the best pils in the world ;)

Avro

Re: The Beer Topic!

Post by Avro »

Comet wrote: Sloeber is the best golden ale in Belgium, end of argument.
That's what you think !!!!!!

Just to remind you everybody has it's own tastes and thanks to the great variaty of beers in Belgium everyone can find one which he likes most.

Chris

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Rago

Post by Rago »

Stella Artois is brewed in Leuven and nowhere else!
Brugs is better than Hoegaarden, which tastes like soapy water.
Sloeber : no way!
Stella : correct but you have to love the taste of "canal-water" to love stella!!!
Brugs misses the finishing touch that you can find in a Hoegie

:cheers:

Rago

Post by Rago »

Avro wrote:
That's what you think !!!!!!

Just to remind you everybody has it's own tastes and thanks to the great variaty of beers in Belgium everyone can find one which he likes most.

Chris
Oooooooo so true Avro! :drink:

Stoney

Post by Stoney »

Stella is my favourite...
After 3 months without belgian beer at all, I drank a 6 euro Stella in the airport in Hong Kong, this was divine... Like an angel pissing on my tongue ;)

If I want something sweet I prefer a "Kriek"... Most sweet is Lindemans, best taste goes to Mort Subite, off course, all my personal opinion...

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

comet wrote: Seeing as some people seem to object to beer beeing mentioned on other threads
I was only referring to the fact that CN-RAM=rel's intro was hijacked by the beer topic, I'm suggesting that we all stick to the particular topic in that part of the forum we are in; instead of going :offtopic: , that way everybody should get a fair go at their own topic instead of it being hijacked; that is all, thank you people :!: :!: 8) 8)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:Sloeber is the best golden ale in Belgium, end of argument.

Orval tastes like oral polio vaccine without a sugar lump.
End of argument? Nothing is final, Louise. I prefer by far Leffe Blonde (and Luchtzak will agree with me on that one. Tripel Westmalle or Tripel Karmeliet or Chimay White alre by far more divine beverages than Slubber, or how did you name that almost unknown brand?

As for your opinion about Orval, it show that you know very little about Belgian Trappist beers. Take the time to enjoy it, and you will see that Orval (which has only one type of beer, contrary to all other trappist abbeys) is on the top of the Trappist league.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Leffe Blond is merely a mass-produced Interbrew product (they'll be brewing a fake version over here soon I'll bet!) And don't imply that I know nothing about beer :evil: Have you ever tasted neat oral polio vaccine? Because then you would see its strong resemblance to Orval, which doesn't even taste remotely like beer. This is not my view only - VC10 once bought a bottle of Orval and she said she had never drunk anything which tasted so bad!

As for Leffe, I prefer the brown version, it has a lovely roast-nuts hint in its taste. Has anyone here ever tried the Leffe Vieille Cuvee? That is very hard to find anywhere.

And don't insult Sloeber! It's not my fault it is hard to find, but that doesn't make it a bad beer. Westvleteren is not always easy to get, but that doesn't mean it is bad quality. Likewise for Rochefort 6, that is a very pleasing beer, admittedly not as great as the 10, but very nice nonetheless (so I know nothing about Trappist beer? :evil: ) I know that Westvleteren is sometimes available in shops and not only available if you go to the Abbey, like someone on here once said! I know that Orval uses hop types not found in too many other beers, the Goldings give it the bitter aftertaste, and there is a German hop type in there as well, and occasionally Styrian which would impart a slight orange aftertaste.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote: Chimay White
It is now known as Chimay Tripel to avoid confusion with white beers such as Hoegaarden (so people don't go thinking it is a "white" beer, but you only have to look at its strength - 9%- to know that it is a Tripel!)

And you cannot class Sloeber, which is in the same group of beers as Duvel, Hapkin, Judas, Piraat etc with Westmalle, Chimay and Karmeliet, which are all Tripels, and often have different hops to provide a completely different kind of taste ("harsher" than the average golden ale). It is like comparing Cantillon Lambic with Gulden Draak or Bush, you cannot because they are all different types of beers.
Louise

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Comet,

are you sure Leffe is an Interbrew-product?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

luchtzak wrote:are you sure Leffe is an Interbrew-product?
I am sure! Bart, it is called InBev now (after the merger with the Brasilian brewery AmBev).

Louise, ever seen the Leffe abbey near Dinant?
Last edited by sn26567 on 05 Oct 2004, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

VC10

Post by VC10 »

This is getting to be quite an argument, so I'll just say that I enjoy most of the beers mentioned on here (apart from Orval!!)

I also think that Sloeber is a nice beer :wink:

Nuff said now, so bye bye boozers!! :lol: :lol: :drink: :drink: :drink:
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Last week Interbrew-unions planned to go on strike as the management decided to replace the normal beer into a non-alcohol version during the employees lunchbreak.

American investors who visited the factory where very surprised to see that the workers where allowed to drink 2 beers during lunch and 2 beers after work. Apparently the American investors didn't agree with this kind of operations ;)

Earlier the management dediced to limit the beer-consumption to 2 per lunch as before some workers already had 10 beers at lunch ;)

Als je bij de bron zit ;)

VC10

Post by VC10 »

Spoilsports!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:
Louise, ever seen the Leffe abbey near Dinant?
No Andre, unfortunately I haven't, though I did see a sign for it whilst we were in Dinant, and also one for Ciney (I took a shot on video but unfortunately not a photo so I can't include it with the Dinant city guide - which will be a beauty because we had a perfect day for weather and Dinant is such a beautiful place :D )

Surely Leffe beer should actually be called "Lesse"? If the abbey takes it's name from the river, which is Lesse, and the "f" in the beer logo is actually a medieval "s" (they wrote "s" like "f" in medieval manuscripts) then there is no such place as Leffe and the beer is also wrongly pronounced?
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

No, Louise, the Lesse river does not flow in Leffe village, but at 15 km from there. These are two separate denominations. If I am not mistaken, there is also a Leffe river that flows in Leffe village. But this needs double-checking...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:No, Louise, the Lesse river does not flow in Leffe village, but at 15 km from there. These are two separate denominations. If I am not mistaken, there is also a Leffe river that flows in Leffe village. But this needs double-checking...
Sorry Andre, I thought that the "f" in the name on the bottle was actually a medieval "s" because that is how they were written in that kind of script, I didn't know there was a Leffe as well as a Lesse.

We bought a new beer to try, La Divine from the Silly brewery. That is the first time that beer has been sold in Scarborough. We haven't tried it yet, but looking at its strength (over 9%) it is a tripel abbey-style beer and therefore a golden colour.

In 27 days I will be able to go into a proper beer shop again, I haven't been in one since 15th September :cry:
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:
Orval (which has only one type of beer, contrary to all other trappist abbeys) is on the top of the Trappist league.
Is that why you see so many people drinking it in bars all over Belgium? I have only ever seen Orval being drunk four times in all the Belgian bars I've been in. I have seen more people drink Sloeber (which some people falsely regard as rubbish), Rochefort and Chimay than I have seen drinking Orval!
Louise