Ethiopian coming to BRU?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

winglets

Ethiopian coming to BRU?

Post by winglets »

On A.net there's a discussion about Ethiopian airlines coming to Brussels.
Does somebody knows more or are we daydreaming?

With the following link you can see an article about a press conference.

http://www.waltainfo.com/EnNews/2004/Au ... ug20e5.htm

C_J

Post by C_J »

Would be very nice. Brussels really needs more long haul flights! :!:

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

If its true, it's wonderfull news! Brussels, a small airport getting bigger and bigger in a big world ;)

Maybe we can see the old OO-IHV again :)

Avro

Post by Avro »

If this is true it would indeed be a nice long haul addition to BRU. But I would rather wait and see if this will really become true :?

Chris

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Ethiopian certainly has plans to come to Brussels. But currently they are probably more busy transporting their excellent athletes to and from Athens :-)
André
ex Sabena #26567

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

A former Sabena employee told me that in the past the relationship between Sabena and Ethiopian was verry good. This is maybe the reason why they are looking for Brussels.

Greetz,

Dave

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Hi everybody.
Another idea could be a code-share with SNBA?
Regards
Patrice

Lyulka

Post by Lyulka »

The CEO who expressed preparations to create hub in West Africa said also that Ethiopian is currently striving to widen its market accesses to Brussels, Toronto and Abudabi
I've got the feeling this does not mean they will operate a flight into Brussels. Looks more like a code share to me...
Are they still operating flights to Ostende? Perhaps it's just about moving from Ostende to Brussels?

B737229

Post by B737229 »

I think we have to see if Ethiopian will start a flight to east africa. I think Addis Abeba is the main gateway to the east african continenet, so there may be some potential.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

lumumba wrote:Another idea could be a code-share with SNBA
Like KLM with Kenya? Sounds like a good idea...
André
ex Sabena #26567

etihad

Post by etihad »

lumumba wrote:Hi everybody.
Another idea could be a code-share with SNBA?
I can confirm the serious interest of Ethiopian in Brussels.

SN Brussels could certainly use an African partner, and Ethiopian might well be the one.

Nevertheless, Ethiopian is very interested in some SN routes like Kinshasa, Kigali, Entebbe and Nairobi.

So you could say that Ethiopian wants a piece of the high yield cake.

The SN Brussels African network will be under fierce attack if a co-operation between SN and ET shouldn't appear to be feasible, especially because Ethiopian is one of the better African carriers, with a good reputation.

Ethiopian could also steal a lot of SN pax because they provide good connections out of Addis Ababa to destinations like: Abidjan, Accra, Bamako, Brazzaville, Bujumbura, Cairo, Dar Es-Salaam, Djibouti, Entebbe, Harare, Hargiesa, Johannesburg, Khartoum, Kigali, Kilimanjaro, Kinshasa, Lagos, Lilongwe, Lome, Luanda, Lusaka, Nairobi, N'djamena and Zanzibar.

But we shouldn't feel sorry for SN if other airlines enter the African arena, should we?

Does SN really think that they can go on and on making profit on the African routes, without ever having a direct competitor ex BRU who wants a few slices of that same 'chocolate' cake?

SN30952

ET in Belgium, new wings to Africa?

Post by SN30952 »

liebensd wrote:A former Sabena employee told me that in the past the relationship between Sabena and Ethiopian was verry good. This is maybe the reason why they are looking for Brussels. Greetz, Dave
Yes, Dave indeed.
ET could be interested in BRU, in order to acquire traffic to YYZ.
Therefor it needs traffic rights, and where else than in BRU or LUX can it hope to get these rights?
Then ET should consider more than one weekly frequency, three runs would be ideal.
On the southbound (BRU to Africa) ET can offer a lot of connex, and become a competitor for SNBA. So SNBA would the only opponent to this new entry in BRU. Lets hope they not inherited this troublesome and awkward habbit from former Sabena, as to oppose to all new carriers into EBBR.

Avro

Post by Avro »

I totally agree with you Fons.

But something even better for both carriers is if they cooperate. They could both benefit from such a cooperation.

As allready mentioned SN could really need a partner such as ET. ET could offer them a lot of passengers, new destinations and a good backup system in case there is a technical problem (if you see what I mean).

On the other side, ET would be able to sell tickets to BRU and maybe even to fly some routes to BRU, and even to YYZ via BRU.

That would be a very nice solution I think

Greetz
Chris

SN30952

African turntable

Post by SN30952 »

Avro wrote:I totally agree with you Fons.
Unfortunately you weren't the CEO of Sabena, Chris.
Avro wrote: But something even better for both carriers is if they cooperate. They could both benefit from such a cooperation.
As allready mentioned SN could really need a partner such as ET.That would be a very nice solution I think. Greetz Chris
Yes, one reliable partner in East, one in West and one in Central Africa.

This would in the first place bring clients to Technics and SNBA. Because, inch Allah, not all the Africans come to stay in Belgium.
Secondly, Federal Belgium could allocate legal cooperation fund to develop these 'cooperating' airlines. Why not to them who want to cooperate with the belgian economy. Mutual help, that's what friends are for.

OrientThai

Post by OrientThai »

Hi,do you think the service will be non stop from Addis Ababa to BRU or via MCO, for example.
Thanks in advance

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

OrientThai wrote:Hi,do you think the service will be non stop from Addis Ababa to BRU or via MCO, for example.
Thanks in advance
Via MCO, Orlando, Florida. That's DisneyWorld: are you joking? :lol:

Avro

Post by Avro »

SN30952 wrote:
OrientThai wrote:Hi,do you think the service will be non stop from Addis Ababa to BRU or via MCO, for example.
Thanks in advance
Via MCO, Orlando, Florida. That's DisneyWorld: are you joking? :lol:
No Fons I think he wants to say FCO instead of MCO.

Fons, as you probably know ET has a lot of flights going through FCO.

Well, it's a very interesting question you are asking OrientThai.

BTW welcome to this great site :)

Chris

OrientThai

Post by OrientThai »

Oooops sorry for my mistake and yes I mean FCO.
Thank you Chris.

SN30952

ADD HAAB ADDIS ABABA ETHIOPIA

Post by SN30952 »

Avro wrote:No Fons I think (1) he wants to say FCO instead of MCO.
Fons, as you probably know ET has a lot of flights going (2) through FCO.
Well, it's a very interesting question you are asking OrientThai.
BTW (3) welcome to this great site :) Chris
(3) Yes wecome too OrientThai, but your avatar is TG and not OX, why!
(2) Ethiopia has indeed historical links with Italy. But why should ET add more landings to FCO? A European point more North would be worthwhile to consider commercially and operationwise. An Addis Abeba - Brussels - Toronto would be two quite even sectors. Air Canada's new policy would also be in line.
(1) And indeed, Chris :lol: MCO is not FCO, as a muck is not a f...!
Name Country Lat Long
Addis Ethiopia 4N 37E 3805 Elev in Ft.
ADD HAAB ADDIS ABABA ETHIOPIA AIRPORT: BOLE

etihad

Post by etihad »

SN30952 wrote:An Addis Abeba - Brussels - Toronto would be two quite even sectors.
Addis Ababa - Brussels - Toronto - Brussels - Addis Ababa is indeed the routing ET is interested in.

Therefore, they need 5th freedom rights.

If those are not granted, we won’t see Ethiopian in Brussels anytime soon.