Brussels Airlines in 2023

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

nordikcam

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2023

Post by nordikcam »

https://www.lalibre.be/economie/entrepr ... U7YQMS3M4/

Dorothea Von Boxberg ex CEO of Lufthansa Cargo new CEO of SN...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

nordikcam wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 15:55 https://www.lalibre.be/economie/entrepr ... U7YQMS3M4/

Dorothea Von Boxberg ex CEO of Lufthansa Cargo new CEO of SN...
Just like we announced a little bit earlier: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... -airlines/
André
ex Sabena #26567

SLM

Post by SLM »

Why has the plane oo-snn been in Budapest for a few days already? (source flightradar)
Thanks for more information.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

SLM wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 10:38 Why has the plane oo-snn been in Budapest for a few days already? (source flightradar)
Thanks for more information.
The flight number towards Budapest starting with a 9 indicates a ferry flight. Hence, maintenance (long/short term) is most likely the reason.

SLM

Post by SLM »

Thank you.

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

There are persistent rumors that SN will no longer fly to JFK and IAD after the summer season. Only Africa.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Boeing767copilot wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 23:12 There are persistent rumors that SN will no longer fly to JFK and IAD after the summer season. Only Africa.
Scenario: LX, LH and OS on JFK...SN on Africa with at least 8/9 daily flights...to which destinations...new or some gave up by LX or LH ? KF on JFK on a daily basis?

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Boeing767copilot wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 23:12 There are persistent rumors that SN will no longer fly to JFK and IAD after the summer season. Only Africa.
Question has been raised, the answer was that indeed during this winter, the flights hasn't performed as expected but still those flight are generating a lot of transit pax to Africa. There is than no plan at all to scrap it at the moment as those flight are necessary for the feeding.

longwings

Post by longwings »

crew1990 wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 00:39 Question has been raised, the answer was that indeed during this winter, the flights hasn't performed as expected but still those flight are generating a lot of transit pax to Africa. There is than no plan at all to scrap it at the moment as those flight are necessary for the feeding.
No doubt Brussels needs the feed from North America to its African flights, but what Brussels also needs is a consistent image, especially of its service upfront. I am aware that Brussels shares revenue across all TATL flights through the TATL alliance, yet at the same time I am intentionally staying away from any flight on Brussels metal.

Half of my many TATL flights involve a connection. If I were to take Brussels, I'd wonder, am I going to get their new business class, or the angled-seat of Singapore Airlines' old regional business class, or whatever the Best class is on Eurowings? Maybe the question is no longer warranted, but at some point it very much was, and I don't need to find out if it is still justified when I can get far more consistency from Air Canada or United (yes, staying away from Lufty as well for now). Ongoing questions as to whether used A330s about to join the fleet will get a new livery does not inspire confidence at all. Eurowings on the outside = Eurowings on the inside = go with a carrier that has more consistency. Fair or not, that's how it is.

(I also recognize that for many passengers, especially in lower fare buckets, what's on the outside is totally irrelevant, the only thing that matters is what amount gets charged on the credit card)

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Brussels Airlines does not have any aircraft with the old Singapore Airlines cabin.

OO-SFB/C/D/E/F/G/H have the new SN business class cabin
OO-SFX still have the old SN business class cabin
And indeed OO-SFJ with Eurowings business class

Only one out of 9 have is not the Brussels Airlines cabin

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

crew1990 wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 01:42 Brussels Airlines does not have any aircraft with the old Singapore Airlines cabin.

OO-SFB/C/D/E/F/G/H have the new SN business class cabin
OO-SFX still have the old SN business class cabin
And indeed OO-SFJ with Eurowings business class

Only one out of 9 have is not the Brussels Airlines cabin
I think SFX has still the toilets of Singapore Airlines....but indeed not the seats.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

I completely understand and agree with longwing's point about the inconsistency of SN when it comes to their (long haul) aircraft.

It's a "potpourri" of different liveries, interiors,... I understand that a new livery or interior can't be applied immediately and that it can wait until a scheduled maintenance check of the aircraft but still... the new livery was introduced more than a year ago and only 2 A330 are repainted.

Brand awareness is something important and this inconsistency can reflect (very) negatively on people's perception of the airline.

Just look at this mess :shock: All these versions are flying today... (except for the ex CX one, this one got repainted I believe)

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

crew1990 wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 00:39
Question has been raised, the answer was that indeed during this winter, the flights hasn't performed as expected but still those flight are generating a lot of transit pax to Africa. There is than no plan at all to scrap it at the moment as those flight are necessary for the feeding.
Could it be that the A++ partners such as United, AC and others are called upon for feeding to Africa?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Boeing767copilot wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 11:27
crew1990 wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 00:39
Could it be that the A++ partners such as United, AC and others are called upon for feeding to Africa?
I was just going to ask. Maybe United can add a second daily flight to JFK and IAD.

If KF would fly on the same destinations as SN in The States it would be wise to have an interline agreement

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

CityJet's arrival is not a fanfare... canceled flights, impressive delays...

SN501

Post by SN501 »

Boavida wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 11:22 I completely understand and agree with longwing's point about the inconsistency of SN when it comes to their (long haul) aircraft.

It's a "potpourri" of different liveries, interiors,... I understand that a new livery or interior can't be applied immediately and that it can wait until a scheduled maintenance check of the aircraft but still... the new livery was introduced more than a year ago and only 2 A330 are repainted.

Brand awareness is something important and this inconsistency can reflect (very) negatively on people's perception of the airline.

Just look at this mess :shock: All these versions are flying today... (except for the ex CX one, this one got repainted I believe)

Airlines don't really care about livery in 2023. Challenges are aircrafts and crew availability, cash flow, etc. Moreover, I would be interested to read any marketing studies suggesting that the customers perception is badly altered due to a mix of liveries. I think most people don't even look at the paint.

Meanwhile, aircraft from ... are used in their original livery for ...
Air Baltic: Swiss and SAS
Edelweiss: Swiss
Eurowings: LH
Air Nostrum in Iberia livery: Alitalia
Finnair: British Airways

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

^^ If that was true, all planes would be white. Clearly 'brands' and brand identity matters. Every marketeer will explain you why.

Meanwhile in Billund... First flight of White Products Airlines has arrived with a water salute!

Brand awareness/recognition: 0

oldblueeyes

Post by oldblueeyes »

Boavida wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 15:11 ^^ If that was true, all planes would be white. Clearly 'brands' and brand identity matters. Every marketeer will explain you why.
The power of a marketing person depends on the industry type.

From decision making core of the business like in FMCG to a service producing powerpoint templates and brochures, the place in the food chain is different by sector.
And in the airline industry in the current environment driven by re-organisations, delivery delays of new aircraft and spare parts, partially debt constraints, queues in the paint shops etc. nice to have things are not key for the business.

Despite that, who knows how the future of the brand would look like in few years time?

SN501

Post by SN501 »

Boavida wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 15:11 ^^ If that was true, all planes would be white. Clearly 'brands' and brand identity matters. Every marketeer will explain you why.

Meanwhile in Billund... First flight of White Products Airlines has arrived with a water salute!

Brand awareness/recognition: 0
Well ... Let me clarify. Liveries are part of the identity/marketing of any airlines. This is not marketing as a whole. A standardised livery has never filled any planes itself. In 2023 there are clearly other priorities and if a few planes haven't the last livery the vast majority of airlines don't see any problem especially due to the post covid context, see my examples.

Do you really think that prospects of the BLL route won't buy a ticket because a white aircraft is operating the service?
Marketing is the match between offer and demand. Demand is sensitive to prices, journey time and timetable, connections, airport, services, etc. The brand image helps the customer to be confident in the company, but this image doesn't lie only on livery which is not even seen by most people.

When you buy a ticket for a wetleased service, every airlines mention "operated by x". When you fly with OO-SFJ, still an Eurowings cabin, you receive an email informing you prior to your departure.

Most of the discussion about liveries are coming from people not in the industry and/or too much attached on questions of prestige. Customers and airlines think obviously differently.

oldblueeyes

Post by oldblueeyes »

Actually it is more a discussion of either:
- dumb nationalists
- enthusiasts

The key factor selling in the industry is price.
Unless you are not in the cheap-cheap category and in the flying from nowhere to nowhere market, a decent amount of your pax would board in directly from the terminal, not having a clear view on the plane.