BRU Summer 2023: news, new routes, airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Re: BRU Summer 2023: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Atlantis »

VoloperTe wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 11:37 Hi everybody,

I was able to have a little conversation with a member of Aviation Development Team of Brussels Airport. The questions i asked him :

▪New routes with Brussels Airlines or Air Belgium to US, Canada, Africa and maybe South America ?
▪New transatlantic low cost airlines like Jetblue, Westjet or Norse ?
▪Maybe new routes to Houston and San Francisco with United Airlines ?
▪Come back of American with non stop service to Philadelphia ?
▪Is the CBP project still on the agenda of Brussels Airport ?
▪Come back in the future of Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong ? More flights of Hainan to Beijing and Shenzhen, and ANA to Tokyo ?
▪And finally can Royal Jordanian resumes flights to Amman instead of Ryanair ?

Here is the short answer : Most of your questions are actually under discussion between our teams and partners. I can't tell you more. Stay tuned
Which is always the standard answer 😉

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

VoloperTe wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 16:12 Good afternoon everybody,

Vueling will begin seasonal non stop service to Bilbao (Spain) from 3JUL23. It's possible to book right now on Vueling website !
3 weekly flights are planned on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Great to see more destinations with Vueling
Exactly. Its a very nice company. They withdrawed more when Ryanair came. Let's hope they will take some routes back

Miqvell

Post by Miqvell »

Tourism Authority of Thailand is reportedly in talks with Air Belgium to launch a route to Bangkok next summer (article in French) :

https://www.gavroche-thailande.com/thai ... p2Nm9UUh7c

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Miqvell wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 23:56 Tourism Authority of Thailand is reportedly in talks with Air Belgium to launch a route to Bangkok next summer (article in French) :

https://www.gavroche-thailande.com/thai ... p2Nm9UUh7c
Makes no sense. If Thai Airways is not able to fly the route for whatever reason, it will also not work for a foreign one. Especially with no network.

They should discuss this with Thai Airways itself

VoloperTe

Post by VoloperTe »

Indeed Atlantis, there is no sense on that ! Better for Thai Airways to grow up flights in Brussels like before Covid19. There is many more other destinations for Air Belgium (why not Brazil, Mexico, Florida, California) !!!

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

VoloperTe wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 20:46 Indeed Atlantis, there is no sense on that ! Better for Thai Airways to grow up flights in Brussels like before Covid19. There is many more other destinations for Air Belgium (why not Brazil, Mexico, Florida, California) !!!
Why would Brazil, Mexico, Florida or California be any better than Thailand for Air Belgium???

It is nothing else than wishful thinking unfortunately.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

VoloperTe wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 20:46 Indeed Atlantis, there is no sense on that ! Better for Thai Airways to grow up flights in Brussels like before Covid19. There is many more other destinations for Air Belgium (why not Brazil, Mexico, Florida, California) !!!
Thai Airways has to try it again in some time. They were flying the route for many years and upgraded it since then. So it means that there is potential. If we see other airlines to that destination, they are also careful.

Your other destinations. Florida will not work. It was tried many times, Miami and Orlando, but was discontinued very fast by TUI. Even AA never tried bcs no potential. Also the South Coast is no sence. Air Belgium is simply not known. Delsay also tried and also stopped. Mexico, we see that it is also slow with TUI. Varig was flying for many years between Brazil and Belgium. It was a good destination a few years ago but the glory and potential faded away.

What Air Belgium very urgently needs to do is to start negotiations with other airlines. Otherwise they will be never successful without interline agreements.
They have a huge potential at BRU, but I think politics is keeping them away of being successful.

Like I mentioned before, the CIC countries are the niche market now.

VoloperTe

Post by VoloperTe »

Lux_avi and Atlantis, i totally understand that Belgium isn't a big market for long haul like Amsterdam Paris Zurich Frankfurt... Indeed they need more interline agreements ! But i'm sorry there is a big opportunity by example for flights to Brazil with more than 200.000 Brazilian population in Belgium, Impossible with SN because of Lufthansa (hopeless!), maybe AB&AZUL with interline agreements ?

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

VoloperTe wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 10:12 Lux_avi and Atlantis, i totally understand that Belgium isn't a big market for long haul like Amsterdam Paris Zurich Frankfurt... Indeed they need more interline agreements ! But i'm sorry there is a big opportunity by example for flights to Brazil with more than 200.000 Brazilian population in Belgium, Impossible with SN because of Lufthansa (hopeless!), maybe AB&AZUL with interline agreements ?
Yes, they need the demand AND the yields.
People won’t pay more money on these routes to fly direct instead of flying TAP or any other airline from CDG AMS FRA LHR & co…

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Atlantis wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 23:41 Varig was flying for many years between Brazil and Belgium. It was a good destination a few years ago but the glory and potential faded away.
Varig ? Are you sure ? I'm sure that VASP was flying...3 times a week ( BRU REC GRU / BRU GRU / BRU SALVADOR/GRU ) I Flew them many times in the years 90. The same with LAP ( Lineas Aereas Paraguayas ) on the BRU REC ASUNCION...So I guess we could see traffic between those countries if it existed before !

VoloperTe

Post by VoloperTe »

nordikcam wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 12:25
Atlantis wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 23:41 Varig was flying for many years between Brazil and Belgium. It was a good destination a few years ago but the glory and potential faded away.
Varig ? Are you sure ? I'm sure that VASP was flying...3 times a week ( BRU REC GRU / BRU GRU / BRU SALVADOR/GRU ) I Flew them many times in the years 90. The same with LAP ( Lineas Aereas Paraguayas ) on the BRU REC ASUNCION...So I guess we could see traffic between those countries if it existed before !
Yes indeed i remember VASP MD11 every sunday afternoon ! I repeat with the huge brazilian community in Belgium, we could see after many years those flights. But not with Brussels Airlines because of LH (SN is doomed not to grow with Lufthansa)... so i see only Azul or Air Belgium if flights to Brazil come back in the future !!

ZavCity

Post by ZavCity »

VASP even send the DC10 for one or 2 times amongst their MD11's!Great times!

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

nordikcam wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 12:25
Indeed, you are right, I meant VASP

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Corendon is going to move from AMS to BRU. Not in full, but they will increase drastically at BRU till 260.000 seats while at AMS it will go down.

Reasons are the higher taxes at AMS, the long queues, lack of staff

VoloperTe

Post by VoloperTe »

Atlantis wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 14:45 Corendon is going to move from AMS to BRU. Not in full, but they will increase drastically at BRU till 260.000 seats while at AMS it will go down.

Reasons are the higher taxes at AMS, the long queues, lack of staff
Good news for BRU ! Maybe will they any aircraft based in the summer season like Transavia ??

CRJ 900

Post by CRJ 900 »

Talking about 4 Corendon aircrafts to be based in BRU

VoloperTe

Post by VoloperTe »

CRJ 900 wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 15:21 Talking about 4 Corendon aircrafts to be based in BRU
Very bad for AMS the tax increase, long queues, staff shortage last months ! Maybe a chance to see also Easyjet move some flights to BRU to avoid higher taxes ? Ryanair is in cold with Brussels Airport so it's a good opportunity

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

VoloperTe wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 15:35
CRJ 900 wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 15:21 Talking about 4 Corendon aircrafts to be based in BRU
Very bad for AMS the tax increase, long queues, staff shortage last months ! Maybe a chance to see also Easyjet move some flights to BRU to avoid higher taxes ? Ryanair is in cold with Brussels Airport so it's a good opportunity
The biggest problem here is mainly the services given at the airport and not the taxes.
In my opinion taxes is just an excuse here.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

VoloperTe wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 10:12 Lux_avi and Atlantis, i totally understand that Belgium isn't a big market for long haul like Amsterdam Paris Zurich Frankfurt... Indeed they need more interline agreements ! But i'm sorry there is a big opportunity by example for flights to Brazil with more than 200.000 Brazilian population in Belgium, Impossible with SN because of Lufthansa (hopeless!), maybe AB&AZUL with interline agreements ?
200 000?

I see 40 000 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_diaspora

Latin American airlines are mainly focused on Portugal, Italy and Spain. Because there were huge imigrations waves in both ways from South America to Europe and from Europe to South America. The market is big. Then you have France, Germany and UK with Aeromexico and LATAM. Avianca serves now only London & Madrid since they have ended their service to MUC due to covid
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

rwandan-flyer wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 18:03
200 000?

I see 40 000 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_diaspora

Latin American airlines are mainly focused on Portugal, Italy and Spain. Because there were huge imigrations waves in both ways from South America to Europe and from Europe to South America. The market is big. Then you have France, Germany and UK with Aeromexico and LATAM. Avianca serves now only London & Madrid since they have ended their service to MUC due to covid
Don't forget AMS in this. Aeromexico is also flying to AMS.