Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Stij

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Stij »

I can only agree with the criticism!

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Question: is BRU (BAC) using this passenger-free period to do some extra maintenance/renovation works at the airport? I've read Schiphol was speeding up its renewal of several infrastructures.

I'm thinking of the renewal of the horrible bus-station, drop off, reclaim area,...

Is BRU doing something, and thus making advantage of this unique (and ideal) period ?

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Boavida wrote: 07 May 2020, 15:48 Question: is BRU (BAC) using this passenger-free period to do some extra maintenance/renovation works at the airport? I've read Schiphol was speeding up its renewal of several infrastructures.

I'm thinking of the renewal of the horrible bus-station, drop off, reclaim area,...

Is BRU doing something, and thus making advantage of this unique (and ideal) period ?
Short answer? No.

It's been a while since I've been there, but the expansion on FP3 and the jetway replacement at pier B had halted at some point.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

How about the modernisation of this (Soviet-looking) façade? I thought they were renovating it a few months ago? Is it finished?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Boavida wrote: 14 May 2020, 16:29 How about the modernisation of this (Soviet-looking) façade? I thought they were renovating it a few months ago? Is it finished?

The side part of the building is fully done. It's on the same way like the Deloitte building. I thought that I placed the picture of that here.
The front will be also done on the same way

Don't worry

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Haven't seen a picture of it unfortunately.

So the side is done in the same way as this? I presume we're talking about the bottom part with the narrow windows and the all-glass ground level?

Are the works at the front already started?

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Boavida wrote: 14 May 2020, 17:24 Haven't seen a picture of it unfortunately.

So the side is done in the same way as this? I presume we're talking about the bottom part with the narrow windows and the all-glass ground level?

As many companies, since a few days works around BRU have started again. The construction of FP3 is back underway.
And yesterday they were constructing the structure on which the future shelter of the old terminal will be attached. It has the same style as the ones on the excisting terminal so I assume the old terminal will get the ecaxt same facade as the other one.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Boavida wrote: 14 May 2020, 17:24 Haven't seen a picture of it unfortunately.

Yes, the same kind of stone, to have the same looking. Not a whole bunch of different styles but unity

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

I have question about the measure Brussels Airport is taking with distancing of 1.5m knowing this is impossible in the plane why is it necessary in the Airport?

Because if we really need to keep or distancing measures forget to fly before 1year at least?! :shock:
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

lumumba wrote: 18 May 2020, 11:38 I have question about the measure Brussels Airport is taking with distancing of 1.5m knowing this is impossible in the plane why is it necessary in the Airport?

Because if we really need to keep or distancing measures forget to fly before 1year at least?! :shock:
Because you need to take the practical side into consideration. Maintaining 1,5 meter distance between each other is doable in the airport. In a plane it isn't.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Conti764 wrote: 18 May 2020, 12:38
lumumba wrote: 18 May 2020, 11:38 I have question about the measure Brussels Airport is taking with distancing of 1.5m knowing this is impossible in the plane why is it necessary in the Airport?

Because you need to take the practical side into consideration. Maintaining 1,5 meter distance between each other is doable in the airport. In a plane it isn't.
So where is the point to do it :?:
After that you will stay a couple of hours has sardines in a tube...I just try to understand the meaning.
If they want to keep this 1,5m keep the planes on the ground that would be logic.

And believe me this 1,5 rule is not sustainable for restaurants,busses,trains etc...all this is not logic.

Anyway people are already afraid to put there kids in school or take the public transport if they continue to support this rule everybody will be afraid to fly!
This means the end of our Aviation industry and restaurants etc...please let this rule go and we will have to learn to live with this virus even when the vaccination will be ready it will not be 100%.

Sure this confinement was necessary but it has to stop before it's to late.

The morality of this virus is 1% or less it's like dead is becoming taboo.

In Africa millions of people die from Malaria etc...nobody stop the world for them.

PttU

Post by PttU »

Because in a plane there's a passenger list: if someone is infected, it's possible to trace who's at risk. Furthermore the risk is bigger as the period of contact was a couple of hours at least.
In the airport, it's impossible to keep trace of who was there at the same time as the infected person. So it's more important to prevent than it is to re-mediate afterwards, and preventing can be done by keeping distance, using masks,...

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

PttU wrote: 18 May 2020, 23:10

Because in a plane there's a passenger list: if someone is infected, it's possible to trace who's at risk. Furthermore the risk is bigger as the period of contact was a couple of hours at least.
In the airport, it's impossible to keep trace of who was there at the same time as the infected person. So it's more important to prevent than it is to re-mediate afterwards, and preventing can be done by keeping distance, using masks,...
I understand but it's a bit ambitious to track people around world try to find someone in Kinshasa?!

But you make a point fair enough.

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

PttU wrote: 18 May 2020, 23:10 Because in a plane there's a passenger list: if someone is infected, it's possible to trace who's at risk. Furthermore the risk is bigger as the period of contact was a couple of hours at least.
Are you saying there is no need for prevention because you can trace? Please tell me I understood this wrongly!
How many people are going to inform the airline they flew with about their infection? The first days of contact tracing are a big disappointment, the majority of infected people are claiming they had contact with maximum 1 person...
Successfully fighting this virus is all about prevention, there are no hard rules for flying yet, but that’s because airlines are lobbying fiercely against them. Why do you think so many airlines are having commercials about masks, disinfecting their aircraft and HEPA filters? Just because they don’t want any hard rules as it will reduce their yields.
Nobody tells you the infection takes place long before the air hits the HEPA filter or long before the aircraft is disinfected overnight. Furthermore on the older aircraft not all the air goes through the HEPA filters.
I remember being shot down on here for pointing out that at the beginning of March Brussels Airlines was still boarding without APU despite EASA recommendations.
A study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, revealed that 1 person infected 22 passengers, all sitting around him, with SARS during a three hour flight...
https://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa031349
Flying without strict distancing will kill more people than the 737Max!

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Poiu wrote: 19 May 2020, 09:45
PttU wrote: 18 May 2020, 23:10 Because in a plane there's a passenger list: if someone is infected, it's possible to trace who's at risk. Furthermore the risk is bigger as the period of contact was a couple of hours at least.
Are you saying there is no need for prevention because you can trace? Please tell me I understood this wrongly!
How many people are going to inform the airline they flew with about their infection? The first days of contact tracing are a big disappointment, the majority of infected people are claiming they had contact with maximum 1 person...
Successfully fighting this virus is all about prevention, there are no hard rules for flying yet, but that’s because airlines are lobbying fiercely against them. Why do you think so many airlines are having commercials about masks, disinfecting their aircraft and HEPA filters? Just because they don’t want any hard rules as it will reduce their yields.
Nobody tells you the infection takes place long before the air hits the HEPA filter or long before the aircraft is disinfected overnight. Furthermore on the older aircraft not all the air goes through the HEPA filters.
I remember being shot down on here for pointing out that at the beginning of March Brussels Airlines was still boarding without APU despite EASA recommendations.
A study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, revealed that 1 person infected 22 passengers, all sitting around him, with SARS during a three hour flight...
https://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa031349
Flying without strict distancing will kill more people than the 737Max!
Don't forget 40 to 50% are asymptomatic but will infect others!

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Short update.

1) in meantime the front facade is receiving its new glass and tiles front. The same style as the renewed side wall and the Deloite building. It really looks very nice.

2) our new office building is also in good progress. 9 levels high and will replace the satellite building and departments who are sitting in the Passport Building.

3) also under this new admin building the new baggage facility is under construction.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Atlantis wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 14:31 Short update.

1) in meantime the front facade is receiving its new glass and tiles front. The same style as the renewed side wall and the Deloite building. It really looks very nice.

2) our new office building is also in good progress. 9 levels high and will replace the satellite building and departments who are sitting in the Passport Building.

3) also under this new admin building the new baggage facility is under construction.
Great. I always considered it as a stupid move to change the satellite into office space when it can accommodate boarding gates. I fondly remember boarding Sabena 747s to the US from the satellite.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

sn26567 wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 16:20

Great. I always considered it as a stupid move to change the satellite into office space when it can accommodate boarding gates. I fondly remember boarding Sabena 747s to the US from the satellite.
The satellite is earmarked to hold several government services (customs, federal police,...) Afaik nothing has been decided yet but it is an option to replace BAC in the future. Ground level is already occupied by police and a small customs office.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Only partially, no? I assume deliveries are affected by Covid...?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Conti764 wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 17:54 The satellite is earmarked to hold several government services (customs, federal police,...) Afaik nothing has been decided yet but it is an option to replace BAC in the future. Ground-level is already occupied by police and a small customs office.
I thought that police was in an office next to the Sheraton?
André
ex Sabena #26567