Brussels Airlines in 2020

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2020

Post by sn26567 »

Ansett wrote: 18 Apr 2020, 14:07 Thanks for the info ! I should have checked first 😱 fwiw, it confirms my feeling that she is on her way to take over from CS. If and when, time will tell...
IMHO, Thorsten Dirks is ahead of her.
André
ex Sabena #26567

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

sn26567 wrote: 18 Apr 2020, 14:12
Ansett wrote: 18 Apr 2020, 14:07 Thanks for the info ! I should have checked first 😱 fwiw, it confirms my feeling that she is on her way to take over from CS. If and when, time will tell...
In fact, but given the apparent results of Eurowings, can we say that this is flamboyant management?

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

nordikcam wrote: 18 Apr 2020, 14:55 In fact, but given the apparent results of Eurowings, can we say that this is flamboyant management?
Would you be so kind to clarify “apparent results” and “flamboyant management “ as I, and probably many others, have no idea what you are talking about?

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

I guess zero result and idem management !
Pretty clear to me :) haha
No more explanation necessary if you look at the results...

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

Eurowings has abysmal results, even their shift to profitability hasn't worked.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Poiu wrote: 18 Apr 2020, 15:12
nordikcam wrote: 18 Apr 2020, 14:55 In fact, but given the apparent results of Eurowings, can we say that this is flamboyant management?
Would you be so kind to clarify “apparent results” and “flamboyant management “ as I, and probably many others, have no idea what you are talking about?
Oops... I said "apparent" ... sorry. Results: deadweight loss in 2016, in 2017, hundreds of millions of euros in 2018 ... So "abysmal" results as other members ( cathay or theeuropean ) said. And "flamboyant" means ... flamboyant ...euh sorry for my english. In french "flamboyant" means éblouissant, éclatant, étincelant, brillant...

oldblueeyes

Post by oldblueeyes »

sn26567 wrote: 18 Apr 2020, 14:12
This won't fit into the LH style.

As of today, there is an age limit for Senior Management of 60 years.
Spohr is born in 1966, Hohmeister in 1964.
Diercks is out oft he game - he is born 1963, so his mandate will end 2023 and he was focused right now outside the commercial area.
All 3 will end their active service between 2023-26 and it is logical that they should be followed up by the generation born around 1970 and younger.
Hohmeister is the strong commercial man for the hub airlines and Christina had several strategy oriented positions in her career.Thus the logical step would be that she will assume HH's role in 2024 and Carstens' in 2026, as she is in the highest position in her generation ( unless we consider the fact that Lufthansa wants to have at least one woman in the board and after 2 ladies in the HR she might have been the choosen one for political reasons)

According to their age and current functions in the daughter companies of the group, the next generation to aspire to a board position would be Tamur Pour and Markus Binkert from Swiss, Alexis von Hoensbroch from Austrian and Dorothea von Boxberg from Lufthansa Cargo.

Flanker3

Post by Flanker3 »

Considering the poor track record of Foerster at SN, where she didn't do anything to mark her rather short term, other than unscrupulously relieving Gustin from the throne, I doubt that she'll make a difference at OS.

I think that LH Group will se a major transformation in the next year.
These are some predictions:
-LH Passage crews will be shown a Eurowings contract. Take it or get furloughed.
-An even more bare LCC structure will be created below Eurowings. Eurowings Light/Express perhaps. Eurowings crews will be offered EW Light/Express conditions similar to US regional airlines.

-A majority stake in Swiss will be sold to the Swiss government for a cash amount or capital injection. LH remains a minority stakeholder.

-Austrian will be offered to the Austrian government. The Austrian government may decline and OS could be absorbed into Eurowings (perhaps after obtaining a loan), significantly downsizing the VIE presence.

-Belgium
A. Most likely: SN will be offered a low interest loan with virtual strings attached. After receiving the loans, it will be absorbed into EW and downsized.
B. Less likely but better scenario: Belgian government will be offered a minority stake but will take a majority stake in Brussels Airlines for an equity injection that dilutes LH. LH remains a minority stakeholder (could be 49%, could be 75% or even less).
If LH sees a strategic importance in SN, they will take option A. However, this is not certain. SN is unlikely to make any earnings in the next 5 years, it's more a liability than an asset, while LH has bigger fish to fry in Germany.

oldblueeyes

Post by oldblueeyes »

@Flanker3

You should consider the difference between an Executive and a non Executive position.
Executives of the Group have typically non Executive mandates in other companies - so CS does not have the leading role in Austrian.

And she didn't kicked out Gustin from the throne. He was doing this himself.

Luke777

Post by Luke777 »

Strong man Davignon leaves the bridge in heavy storm-times, not a good sign....

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Luke777 wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 11:12 Strong man Davignon leaves the bridge in heavy storm-times, not a good sign....
It was decided before the corona crisis!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Johan23

Post by Johan23 »

He doesn’t leave the bridge btw...

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

It seems a SN plane is en-route to ABJ.
Flt SN1037. BRU-ABJ - a/c : A333 -OO-SFE
Finally some cargo-flight or still another 'repatriation' flt?

Grtz.

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace »

Luke777 wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 11:12 Strong man Davignon leaves the bridge in heavy storm-times, not a good sign....
I try to stay away from SN Brussels discussions, but in my opinion Davignon is still a dinosaur from the old age (pre-Sabena). He is there for his contact list, nothing more. He is the last remaining dinosaur of an old school network that has proven not able to run an aviation company in this modern age. These people should have stepped out in the post-Sabena era already, long time ago.

All companies that have evolved to profitable aviation in Belgium have hardly anything to do with that "circle".

Take my opinion for what it's worth.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

FLYAIR10 wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 13:17 It seems a SN plane is en-route to ABJ.
It is not a repatriation flight, but a cargo flight (at long last) bringing humanitarian relief equipment to ABJ and OUA.
André
ex Sabena #26567

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sn26567 wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 15:18
FLYAIR10 wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 13:17 It seems a SN plane is en-route to ABJ.
It is not a repatriation flight, but a cargo flight (at long last) bringing humanitarian relief equipment to ABJ and OUA.
The other (repatriation) flights also brought (humanitarian) cargo to Africa on their outbound legs.

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace »

Ansett wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 14:07I absolutely do not want to offend you "Bracebrace", not at all the purpose of this post, but we should learn, especially during this nightmare, to show some respect for the elderly.
Don't worry, I am by far offended by discussions, I even like such answers.

However my experience in general is that you don't pay a lot of "respect for the elder" by going along in their same story and leaving them in their position...

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

Ansett wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 14:07as far as I can remember, sn brussels airlines was not in the red until the very unfortunate decision to merge with Virgin Express.
SNBA was not profitable, state aid and the sale of LHR slots kept them around zero, but not really profitable.
2002: loss 35 million, 2003 profit 1 million, 2004 profit 1 million, 2005 profit 5 million. (Annual state aid 4 million) So without state aid loss making during their whole existence except 2005.
Virgin Express was for sale, a merger was the only chance of survival for SNBA. Not buying them would have put the door wide open for someone else, possibly easyJet, buying VEX and killing SNBA.

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace »

Ansett wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 23:00???
Ever worked with the people who "refuse to retire"? It's better to force them to retire at some point, before they destroy what they've created themselves because of many many reasons.

How old is Davignon? 88... please... he was 68 20 years ago. How much experience do "other" people gain in 20 years? He is replaceable. We all are. Which is a good thing.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Ansett wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 15:45 The only conclusion seems to be that neither Belgians nor Germans & Belgians can make a Belgian airline profitable. So, why keep it alive ? I don't want Belgian taxpayers money to be spent on it, especially when we are faced with major health and sanitary problems. If LH wants to keep it alive alone, that's fine with me.
This whole discussion about bottom line profitability is cleary a recurrent issue on this website:
a Belgian airline which makes say +10 m/year for say 10 years in a row is a must have for Belgium;
the same airline which makes -10m/year for 10 years in a row is not?

It's a dead wrong conclusion since none of us is a shareholder of this company (and thus not affected by profits/losses), so the bottom line results of the past are totally irrelevant to us.
We just have to look at what they give us outside of the balance sheet and yes, we're all enjoying great economic benefits of their presence in BRU through their contribution to our national economy, as the Belgian National Bank has proven.
Are we ready to give that up? Right at a time when nobody else is going to step in and other countries in Northern Europe are preparing to unlock???
In the next few months the fate of our country's wealth will be decided for the next decades!
Do we want Belgium to stay in the economic slipstream of the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Denmark? Or do we want to slide down to the weaker group of France, Italy, Spain?
Infrastructure and connectivity will be vital for our exporting businesses to re-establish links with their export markets in Europe and the world: better not make it more difficult for them than it already will be.

A small word on their so-so financial results: don't forget it has been mentioned several times in the past their result is very much country specific: put the very same financial performance through for instance a Dutch social/fiscal regime and they come out profitable, let alone an Irish one! Better net results than Aer Lingus even, believe it or not! (true)
Is the main problem with the airline, or rather with the country then?