2020 Liège Airport (LGG/EBLG) latest news

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

LJ

Re: 2020 Liège Airport (LGG/EBLG) latest news

Post by LJ »

ZavCity wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 18:28
Hi
There will be no restrictions for cargo in AMS after this crisis..Simple reason:enough slots now that pax traffic will me much declining..For example KLM is becoming smaller..So , no I don't think Air Bridge will return to LGG..Same in BRU here..We lost LATAM to AMS..For good I'm afraid..
gtz
paul
The Dutch government supposedly killed QRs idea to have 34 flights out of AMS during this crisis (they're now back to 9 freighters a week). Can't find a source other than this is gossip, but it seems reality as the number of planned flights is less than at the beginning of the crisis. Moreover, the slots currently used by ABC and other full freighters at AMS are valid till June 6th (if not extended). Afterwards they go back to the slot pool and Local Rule 2 will be applicable again. Thus you assumption that there are "no restrictions for cargo at AMS" is a bit premature and depend heavily on what's in the waiting list after this crisis.
Acid-drop wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 20:20 So ABC will come back... most likely. Hopefully.
Good luck with fuel then, ABC means some serious growth
It leaves the question why go to AMS at present when you can have your own facilities at LGG? The only logical reason is that they can get a better yield at AMS at present (though with KLM entering the party with 3 747 Combis yield will probably go down a bit). We'll see in June what they're going to do. If the second part of the construction is delayed even further we'll know that ABC will scale down its LGG operations (from the current plan).

SR20

Post by SR20 »

Bracebrace wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 13:20 That would be too specific and only make people focus on details and not the general picture...

I don't see a lot of "deep" coordination between Brussels and Liège. Brussels just does what they need to: sequence and hand off to Liège approach. There are controllers in Brussels who really try to help Liège, but others just seem to sit "in their bubble". If both would sit around the table and accept Liège needs a lot more these days than simple sequencing from Brussels, rushhour would become a lot easier to manage. But that requires the acceptance that Liège is becoming very important (maybe more important than Brussels at night...? yeah, go kill me, I've said it :-))
Figures prove it : there is more traffic in LGG at night than in BRU ! But why would there be less coordinations between ACC and LGG approach rather than between ACC and BRU approach ? All those controllers are working for Skeyes !

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Bracebrace wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 13:20 That would be too specific and only make people focus on details and not the general picture...

I don't see a lot of "deep" coordination between Brussels and Liège. Brussels just does what they need to: sequence and hand off to Liège approach. There are controllers in Brussels who really try to help Liège, but others just seem to sit "in their bubble". If both would sit around the table and accept Liège needs a lot more these days than simple sequencing from Brussels, rushhour would become a lot easier to manage. But that requires the acceptance that Liège is becoming very important (maybe more important than Brussels at night...? yeah, go kill me, I've said it :-))
The only reason they have more night time activity is because BRU is heavily limited in movements at that time.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Could you elaborate the push back limitations due to the military layout ?
How can it be a problem ?

(In the country beeing a discreet bubble is sometimes the only way to grow)
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

SR20

Post by SR20 »

Acid-drop wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 17:04 Could you elaborate the push back limitations due to the military layout ?
How can it be a problem ?

(In the country beeing a discreet bubble is sometimes the only way to grow)
As there is only one tawiway on the south side, an aircraft performing a push-back is blocking the way for other aircraft ready for taxi.

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace »

flightlover wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 16:58The only reason they have more night time activity is because BRU is heavily limited in movements at that time.
You really think freight companies need Brussels? Ok...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Acid-drop wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 20:20 So ABC will come back... most likely. Hopefully.
Good luck with fuel then, ABC means some serious growth.
Maybe. The world will be a different place now
ABC will not leave. On the contrary, they are investing in LGG, together with handler WFS and Aero Services:

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/airb ... -capacity/
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

I dont know how you conclude anything from this article
It looks to me that they rented the first half of their warehouse and delayed the construction of the other half.
No good news here and no sign of come back strategy.
Perhaps you understood it differently?
The only positive thing is that ABC is clearly mentioned in those articles. Its not "any" warehouse.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

The use of the words "Pop up" is weird.

In a shopping mall, a "Pop up store" is a temporary outlet set up for a couple of weeks.

At LGG the "Pop up" is limited to May 31th.

Positive news indeed in consideration of the need to set up quickly and assist in the effort against the COVID-19 but kind of a half-full or half-empty glass as to what comes after.
(I know, the day after is June 1st but ... ;) )

H.A.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

LJ wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 15:33
737MAX wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 10:20
Acid-drop wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 16:44 I thought LGG was connected to the nato pipeline, its not enough apparently, weird because other sources mention the traffic is barely increased...
Airbridgecargo alone could potentially generate much more traffic than this no ?
Will you ever survive that ABC story?
The number of long haul flights increased at LGG recently, with or without ABC.
I think that Acid-drop fears that ABC won't return to LGG once the crisis is over. Cargo traffic will return to normal levels once the passengers flights return in a few months. The question is whether ABC will return to LGG or remain at AMS. That will be a reduction of traffic in LGG. For now, any medium size to large airport not handling more freighters does something terribly wrong.
It is not a secret that ABC would like to fly more to AMS or to have their huge base there. But we know that due to the restrictions it is not possible. However during the COVID there are hardly pax flights so they opened the market widely now for freighters.

That's why ABC has all their flights now at AMS centralised and not spread over some European airports.

We will see what will be when pax will fly again and the cargo market will be narrow again

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

There is zero chance the pax market will resume as strong as it was... might take 3 years, if ever
So keeping ABC is the biggest challenge of LGG i suppose

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Liege Airport among the eight airports worldwide (and the only one in Europe) selected by the WHO to distribute vital medical equipment.

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/lieg ... equipment/
André
ex Sabena #26567

SR20

Post by SR20 »

30 additional flights a week according to Luc Partoune !

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_aeropo ... id=2624311

LJ

Post by LJ »

Acid-drop wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 10:15 There is zero chance the pax market will resume as strong as it was... might take 3 years, if ever
As mentioned before, ABC uses ad hoc slots at AMS. ACN (Dutch slot coordinator) has put Local 2 on hold till June 6th. After June 6th (or later should the policy be extended) ABC will have the same issues getting slots at AMS as before (though it will be slightly easier as there are more slots available). Moreover, Local rule 2 at AMS is complex and provides no guarantee to ABC that it gets the slots it needs at AMS for a longer period of time (at least till start of W20/21).

ABC decided to wait for the lease to come into effect as of June 1st. Moreover, they've delayed deciding on phase II till June if I'm not mistaken. Coincidence? I don't think so. However, they will come back to LGG as they've a lease on a wharehouse.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

LJ wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 18:06
Acid-drop wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 10:15 There is zero chance the pax market will resume as strong as it was... might take 3 years, if ever
As mentioned before, ABC uses ad hoc slots at AMS. ACN (Dutch slot coordinator) has put Local 2 on hold till June 6th. After June 6th (or later should the policy be extended) ABC will have the same issues getting slots at AMS as before (though it will be slightly easier as there are more slots available). Moreover, Local rule 2 at AMS is complex and provides no guarantee to ABC that it gets the slots it needs at AMS for a longer period of time (at least till start of W20/21).

ABC decided to wait for the lease to come into effect as of June 1st. Moreover, they've delayed deciding on phase II till June if I'm not mistaken. Coincidence? I don't think so. However, they will come back to LGG as they've a lease on a wharehouse.
Even slots are available, cargo is not getting them all. If I'm not mistaken, QR requested for 36 or 39 extra flights/slots, but they didn't received it. So they only maintain their 9 flights a week to AMS. The other extra flights they transferred to BRU.

But everything is temporary.

For ABC is the same. The reason why they fly again more to AMS is bcs they want to be there as their main European cargo airport and temporary they centralise everything at AMS, also the flights of LGG.

ZavCity

Post by ZavCity »

Hi
AMS will not have the same pax volume as before..For years..So cargo slots will be granted for years too..We lost LATAM again for AMS by the way!
gtz
paul

ZavCity

Post by ZavCity »

Hi
Luchtvaartnieuws just announced that AMS will have NO restrictions on cargo flights till end 2020!So no coming back for ABC in the near future!
gtz
paul

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Maastricht-Liege in 747 :)
There you go
20200419_181945.jpg