Alitalia saved by the Government and reborn as ITA Airways

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Belgaviation

Re: Alitalia near bankruptcy. Can it be saved?

Post by Belgaviation »

It is official in the meantime: Italian government to take control of Alitalia: draft decree

Stij

Post by Stij »

Stij wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 09:49
Passenger wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 09:35 Corona is an excellent opportunity for the Italian government (and/or Alitalia's administrators) to do what has to be done. Close it down, blame it on the virus.
My 2 cents: That should be done, but they'll do exactly the opposite. They'll use the virus as an excuse to pump in even more money...

Cheers,

Stij
I hate it when I'm right...

Helping viable companies during this crisis is one, helping the not even walking dead is another...

Stij

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

I always said it won't be over, didn't I haha

Instead of discussing this foreseen bad ridiculous action... Will the Corona crisis give aviation a new wave of nationalisations and bring back true flag carriers.

KLM-AF , IAG, Lufthansa and sons... are begging for state aid.. and will they get a blanco cheque ...
It is it time for governments to take back control of such highly important economic and social tasks in this globalised world ?

We will see but for now..#blijfinuwkot

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Belgaviation wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 11:02 It is official in the meantime: Italian government to take control of Alitalia: draft decree
Pretty much as expected; France is also contemplating stepping in AF, btw.

it's within the boundries of realism now that most national carriers will be receiving massive government aid in one way or another, as they are deemed systemic infrastructure needed to be under direct control of the state to help relaunch the economy after the pandemic wil be over and the long and slow recovery will have to be started: in that moment, as a country, you do not want to be left to the mercy of others as they will logically prioritize their own domestic needs over those of you.

Contrary to national airlines, it will be much harder for non-nation affiliated pan-European airlines to crape together sufficient funds and gain access to the required financial instruments to keep them afloat for the next 3 to 6 months (and beyond), and even then... the aviation landscape may look completely different by next year.

Knowing a full economic reset in about to happen at least in aviation, it may even be a smart move of a country to already be strategically positioning itself so it can take full benefit of this unique opportunity to suddenly catch up with those countries who seemed to be lightyears ahead. The reset allows you to somehow undo strategic errors from the past, of which you have meanwhile seen the full outcome.... ;)

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Stij wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 11:49
Stij wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 09:49
Passenger wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 09:35 Corona is an excellent opportunity for the Italian government (and/or Alitalia's administrators) to do what has to be done. Close it down, blame it on the virus.
My 2 cents: That should be done, but they'll do exactly the opposite. They'll use the virus as an excuse to pump in even more money...

Cheers,

Stij
I hate it when I'm right...

Helping viable companies during this crisis is one, helping the not even walking dead is another...

Stij
I'm not agree an airline is a strategic industry sure for a country like Italy doesn't have to be profitable in my opinion.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Stij

Post by Stij »

lumumba wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 13:04 I'm not agree an airline is a strategic industry sure for a country like Italy doesn't have to be profitable in my opinion.
If Alitalia went bust a few years ago as it should have, Air Italy would have been Italy's national carrier by now...

Cheers,

Stij

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Stij wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 13:38
lumumba wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 13:04 I'm not agree an airline is a strategic industry sure for a country like Italy doesn't have to be profitable in my opinion.
If Alitalia went bust a few years ago as it should have, Air Italy would have been Italy's national carrier by now...

Cheers,

Stij
I don't think so to build again what Alitalia is would be quite impossible today .
It has to be a national project that involves a lot of cash a state can only assume.

Regards
Patrice

Stij

Post by Stij »

lumumba wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 14:22 I don't think so to build again what Alitalia is would be quite impossible today .
It has to be a national project that involves a lot of cash a state can only assume.

Regards
Patrice
Let's agree to disagree...

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Stij wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 15:23
lumumba wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 14:22 I don't think so to build again what Alitalia is would be quite impossible today .

Regards
Patrice
Let's agree to disagree...
Fair enough

Regards

Pat

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The Italian government plans to take control of loss-making carrier Alitalia in a month or so, creating a new company that will have an initial fleet of 25-30 aircraft, union sources said on Monday.

Before the impact of the coronavirus outbreak, the carrier, which is run by a state-appointed administrator, was operating a fleet of 113 aircraft.

Source: Reuters
André
ex Sabena #26567

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

sn26567 wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 17:08 The Italian government plans to take control of loss-making carrier Alitalia in a month or so, creating a new company that will have an initial fleet of 25-30 aircraft, union sources said on Monday.

Before the impact of the coronavirus outbreak, the carrier, which is run by a state-appointed administrator, was operating a fleet of 113 aircraft.

Source: Reuters
If they change their name, we won't be able to say "aircraft lands in Torino, all luggages in Amsterdam" :lol:
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Alitalia may now get €700 million in state aid, as part of its nationalisation, which includes maintaining employment levels and absorbing the employees of other liquidated companies — like Air Italy. It seems that the coronavirus came at the right time for Alitalia!
André
ex Sabena #26567

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Maybe they can ask KLM again for some co-operation ?
🤔😁

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

BATAVIA

Post by BATAVIA »

Does anyone know why Alitalia keeps flying FCO-BRU-FCO on a more than daily basis?
Are those flights empty?, is there special health check control upon arrival in BRU?
There must be a reason why they keep on flying to BRU?

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

What is the situation of AZ right now?

jerry

Post by jerry »

Many airlines have kept BRU flights also due to the EU commission, parliament etc. Same for Aegean. They stopped all international flights but BRU.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Alitalia will receive EU approval or not on its nationalisation plans depending on “the way it’s done” and “if it’s done at market prices,” says EU antitrust chief Margrethe Vestager.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Italy’s government plans to go ahead on the creation of a “new” Alitalia once the pandemic is over. The slimmed-down state carrier is expected to launch in May 2020.
André
ex Sabena #26567

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

How could could look the scaled down Alitalia?
Focus on FCO only?
Fleet consisting on 30, 40, 50 planes?
Reduced network, destinations axed?