Impact of the coronavirus crisis on aviation

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

Re: Impact of the coronavirus crisis on aviation

Post by Inquirer »

LOT to halt all flying as from tonight.

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

luchtzak wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 00:23 British Airways CEO Alex Cruz sends internal memo to employees titled: “The survival of British Airways”

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/inte ... -survival/
Mr Cruz is known for his scaremongering and bullying, he is a copycat of MOL but only has 1% of Micheal’s charisma. IAG is, behind Ryanair and easyJet, one of the most robust airlines in Europe.
That being said the situation is of course serious and the consequences will be felt during a long time.
I am sure SN employees received a probably even more alarmist memo stating the life expectancy of the company is, without state aid, a couple of weeks at best...
Last edited by Poiu on 14 Mar 2020, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Inquirer wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 08:01 LOT to halt all flying as from tonight.
The last flights departed on Friday. Air Belgium really impacted. I have some echoes that they have made their last flight for the Polish airline last night.

It is a reaction because of Mateusz Morawiecki announcement to close borders, halt all international flights, all international trains and so on...

ABD & ABE to get home today.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

737MAX wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 08:03 Flights between France & Morocco are suspended UFN.
Saudi Arabia did same thing. They cancel all international flighs, from this Sunday.

Singapore Airlines will suspend its Paris CDG service, from 16 MAR20 to 31MAY20.

I work at Paris CDG. The airport is a Ghost airport, since weeks. For people who know, Paris CDG airport, they will close some terminals.

Terminal 3, mainly used by Low cost airlines and charter airlines (LEVEL, Iberia Express, ASL France, Vueling CDG base, Air Arabia, Air Transat,...) will close from 18 March to early July 2020, if the situation doesn't improve.

Not yet confirmed

Terminal 2G (Air France HOP, Luxair, CityJet) will also close from 18 March to early July 2020.

Terminal 2E, gates M (S4), where you find some Air France long haul flights, and also MEA, Delta Airlines, Kenya Airways or Chine Southern, will also close from 18 March to early July 2020.

Some airlines will be relocated to the Terminal 1 or Terminal 2, on others concourse (2F, 2D, 2A).

Air France has started to store Aircraft across France: B777, A380, A320 family
Last edited by rwandan-flyer on 14 Mar 2020, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

Delta is suspending India.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Yes Belgium - Morocco flights still up and running !

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

737MAX wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 10:20
rwandan-flyer wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 09:25
737MAX wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 08:03 Flights between France & Morocco are suspended UFN.
Saudi Arabia did same thing. They cancel all international flighs, from this Sunday.
Morocco does NOT stop all international flights, at least for now. Not quite the same...
In deed, i made a mistake, about the fact that both Saudi Arabia and Morocco have stopped flights to France.
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Surinam Airways cancels until further notice.
Aeroflot :
From 16 March, scheduled flights will be temporarily suspended between Moscow and Barcelona, Burgas, Frankfurt, Heraklion, Munich, Thessaloniki and Zurich.

Flight frequencies will be reduced between Moscow and Copenhagen (from 14 March) and Prague (from 16 March) following decisions taken by local authorities to restrict entry for foreign tourists.

Scheduled Rossiya Airlines flights operated under Aeroflot’s SU code from St Petersburg to European destinations including Geneva, Larnaca, Prague and Vienna will be halted from 16 March.
AA to retire its Boeing 767-300ER in May 2020.

Air Tahiti Nui is testing a direct PPT - CDG flight, Vancouver is to become the technical stop afterwards iso LAX, 2 times per week, iso 4.

LOT suspends for 14 days iso 10.

Italy closes the half of its airports until 25 March 2020.

Emirates stores 8 A380 at DWC, 12 A380 at DXB, 7 B777-300ER at DWC, suspends FLL, MXP, VCE, BLQ, DXB-ATH-EWR and DXB-MXP-JFK.

Air France expect to maintain routes to ATL, ORD, DTW, LAX, JFK, SFO & IAD from 14 to 28 March 2020.
Last edited by TLspotting on 14 Mar 2020, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

I think its back to the middle age for a month...
LOT has a clear vision, they are the first, probably not the last
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

It’s amazing how some smart people loose all sense of reality when they see/hear the name ‘Trump’.

The reason why Trump forbits flights from European travellers to the USA, is because that’s the best way for the USA to keep out as much corona as possible. Fact: Europe is today the number one corona hotspot. I remember the critics on Trump when he was the first head of state to close airspace from China. “A scandal, utterly protection of the home market, …” However, the figures down below (source: WHO) show that Trump was damned right.

I read the same nonsense here that Trump implements “America First” with his ban for European travellers. Nonsense! Sure, US carriers now have a very minor advantage over EU carriers because US citizens tend to use own cariers for flights to/from Europe. But with his decision, Trump also hurts US carriers and Trump puts the whole incoming tourism business from the EU to a standstill. So he hurts "America First" a zillion times more with the tourism ban then favouritise US carriers with the aviation ban. And even that little bonus is gone for the US carriers because European tourists use US carriers for flights inside the USA. Without European tourists, those seats are empty.

The actual figures on Worldometers.info, based on official WHO figures and press releases, show that there is a solid reason to limit the EU ban to the European mainland: the U.K. has a very low number of corona cases (to % inhabitants).

The "percentage of cases" down below are cases per 1 Million of population:

Italy: 292,1 % cases with 1.266 deads
Norway 183,7 % cases 1 dead
Spain: 157,7 % cases with 133 deads
Sweden: 81,3 % cases 1 dead
Switzerland: 131,6 % cases 11 deads
Austria 66,8 % cases 1 dead
France: 56,1 % cases 79 deads
Belgium: 48,2 % cases 3 deads
Netherlands: 46,9 % cases 10 deads
Germany: 43,9 % cases with 8 deads
Portugal 11,0 % cases with 0 deads

U.K. 11,8 % cases with 11 deads

USA 7,0 % cases with 50 deads

China: 3.189 deads so far

Source:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

The % of infected people is heavily dependent on the amount of tested people. Testing in different countries is done according to completely different criteria and as such comparing infection rates doesn’t make much sense.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

airBaltic to temporarily decrease capacity by further 30%, reduce fleet and staff

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/airb ... and-staff/

American Airlines announces additional schedule changes related to COVID-19 – In Europe only London maintained

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/amer ... aintained/

Luxair reduces flights and sets up exceptional commercial terms and conditions

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luxa ... onditions/

Lufthansa Group Airlines extend rebooking options for customers

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... customers/

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

Inquirer wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 20:57
The Lufthansa Group is in talks with the German, Belgian, Swiss and Austrian governments for coordinated government aid to the airlines in its group.
https://www.aero.de/news-34440/Lufthans ... wkkaUtYUzc
Aviation is one of the first sectors to be hit by this Corona crisis but many others will follow.
There isn’t unlimited money to be spent unfortunately.
Before any state aid is distributed, it should be carefully considered whether it’s appropriate.
Viability, previous profitability and relevance to the population should be taken into account.
Saving local shops, bars, restaurants,... is much more important for the taxpayer than keeping an airline alive who is transporting passengers from Africa to the US via Brussels.
Spending taxpayer’s money on keeping a wet lease operation alive in times with an unprecedented overcapacity is a waste of money.
By all means public transport should be helped and kept alive, but, imho, there is no money to spend on free for all travel nor to support a German company who’s only goal is keeping IAG and others out of Brussels.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Lets hope they read you
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

TLspotting wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 11:00 Yes Belgium - Morocco flights still up and running !
Morocco just forbid flights with Belgium.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

And UIA suspends flights from 16-17 March until further notice.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Inquirer wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 20:57Meanwhile, reports are emerging that national governments are going to be asked to bail out their flag carriers, including our government.

The Lufthansa Group is in talks with the German, Belgian, Swiss and Austrian governments for coordinated government aid to the airlines in its group.
https://www.aero.de/news-34440/Lufthans ... wkkaUtYUzc
Belgian state has the highest budget deficit in the EU and no money to pay for a German company. That’s the problem when politicians (and voters) don’t appreciate fiscal responsibility during prosperous times: then you don’t have much options when the shit hits the fan.

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

Vietnam Airlines will not allow European pax, starting tomorrow March 15, come to Vietnam.
All flight departing from CDG, FRA and LHR will leave empty back to Vietnam.
Flights to Europe still continue to bring Europeans back home. Lucky me... VN19 to CDG this evening 😏

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

Jordan is suspending air services except cargo.

Air Canada suspends Israel, UAE, Korea, Hong Kong as well as several EU destinations.

El Al suspended India.
Last edited by globetrotter on 15 Mar 2020, 09:19, edited 2 times in total.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Belgium has issued a general negative travel advise:

In Dutch:

...Wereldwijd treffen landen maatregelen om het corona – virus in te dammen en de pandemie een halt toe te roepen. Zoveel landen nemen quarantainemaatregelen of sluiten hun grenzen dat geen normale doorgang over grenzen kan gegarandeerd worden. Het risico voor Belgische burgers om geblokkeerd te raken is zo hoog dat alle reizen naar het buitenland worden afgeraden. Wie zich in het buitenland bevindt dient zich in eerste instantie te richten tot de lokale autoriteiten, hun touroperator of luchtvaartmaatschappij, voor assistentie. In geval van nood kan men de Ambassade van België van het land waar men zich bevindt contacteren...

Full statement, in Dutch:
https://diplomatie.belgium.be/nl

- - - - - -

In French:

...Des mesures sont prises dans le monde entier en vue de freiner la propagation du Coronavirus Covid-19 et d’enrayer la pandémie. Tant de pays adoptent des mesures de quarantaine ou ferment leurs frontières qu’un franchissement normal de celles-ci ne peut être garanti. Le risque que des citoyens belges se retrouvent bloqués est très élevé. Il est dès lors conseillé de reporter tous les voyages à l’étranger. Les personnes se trouvant actuellement à l’étranger doivent en premier lieu s’adresser aux autorités locales, à leur agence de voyage, tour-operator ou compagnie aérienne, pour assistance. En cas d’urgence, l’Ambassade de Belgique compétente pour le pays dans lequel on se trouve peut être contactée.

Full statement, in French:
https://diplomatie.belgium.be/fr

- - - - -

For individual travellers (leisure or business), the above travel advise is an advise, not a legal obligation. Example: business people may assume that their trip is worth the risk of being blocked abroad. But for individual travellers, insurance companies may reject assistance in case one is stuck.

For travel professionals however, the negative travel advise is binding.

- - - - -

edit : in English:

Foreign Affairs advises against all trips abroad

Countries around the world are taking action to contain the coronavirus and end the pandemic. Many have put in place mandatory quarantine measures or have closed their borders. As a result normal border crossing can no longer be guaranteed. Many airlines are also drastically reducing the number of flights they offer.

Consequently, the risk that Belgian citizens get stuck in a foreign country is becoming a lot higher. We therefore advise against any travel abroad.

People who are already abroad and want to return to Belgium are advised to contact their travel agency, tour operator or airline company. In case of emergency, you may contact the local Belgian Embassy for assistance.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Philippe Goffin has also decided to open the Foreign Affairs call center, to facilitate assistance to Belgians facing difficulties abroad due to coronavirus-related restrictive measures. The Foreign Affairs Crisis Center can be reached by phone on 02/5014000 from 9.00am to 8.00pm.

We emphasize that this number is strictly reserved for emergency situations abroad. For any question on measures taken against the coronavirus in Belgium, connect to info-coronavirus.be or call 0800/14689
Last edited by Passenger on 14 Mar 2020, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.