Impact of the coronavirus crisis on aviation

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

lumumba

Re: Impact of the coronavirus on aviation

Post by lumumba »

sn26567 wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 21:49
sn26567 wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 17:51
lumumba wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 17:30 Why is Milan Malpensa still open?
From tomorrow, Alitalia is suspending ALL flights from/to Milan Malpensa and operates only a reduced number of domestic flights from/to Milan Linate.
Alitalia reorganises services to Milan and Venice after Italian decree quarantining Lombardy and other regions

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/alit ... r-regions/
I understand but if the region is in quarantine all airports should be closed or do I miss something?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sn26567

Re: Impact of the coronavirus on aviation

Post by sn26567 »

lumumba wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 22:25
sn26567 wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 21:49
From tomorrow, Alitalia is suspending ALL flights from/to Milan Malpensa and operates only a reduced number of domestic flights from/to Milan Linate.
Alitalia reorganises services to Milan and Venice after Italian decree quarantining Lombardy and other regions

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/alit ... r-regions/
I understand but if the region is in quarantine all airports should be closed or do I miss something?
As I understood, essential travel is still allowed in exceptional cases. And anyway there aren't enough civil servants or police to fully enforce the quarantine.
André
ex Sabena #26567

globetrotter

Re: Impact of the coronavirus crisis on aviation

Post by globetrotter »

PIA suspended Qatar and Italy service.

China Southern grounded A380 fleet.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand imposes a new rule: pax need to provide a medical certificate to show "they have no risk of #COVID19". Airlines are responsible for expenses incurred for isolation, quarantine, etc.

This may practically stop people from travelling to Thailand.

Entry to Qatar has been suspended for travellers arriving from certain countries. Check out the Qatar Airways travel alert for the latest updates.

However, passengers with onward connections through Qatar will be accepted for travel.

LOT has suspended all flights to Italy in connection with the spread of coronavirus. The suspension is to be in force until March 12.

Meanwhile, Wizz Air has decided to suspend its flights from three Polish airports to Bergamo, until April 3.

Rick Cotton, the executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the region’s major airports (and also bridges, tunnels and bus terminals) has tested positive for the coronavirus, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo of New York announced on Monday. Mr. Cuomo said that Mr. Cotton, who had been overseeing the Port Authority’s response to the virus, had self-quarantined at his home and would be working remotely.

The Head of French airports group ADP (Aéroports de Paris) also tested positive for coronavirus. A dangerous job!
André
ex Sabena #26567

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

The prime minister of Israel just announced that EVERYONE needs to go in quarantaine for 2 weeks when they enter the country even their own citizens. Guess Brussels Airlines will stop its flights to TLV as well now since their crew who stays there will be blocked for 2 weeks otherwise .?
Citybird
The flying dream

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Embraer is receiving requests to defer delivery of aircraft due to the effects of the coronavirus on businesses. No order cancellations have been received.

Chinese airlines may record staggering losses of US$72 million per day for February 2020, as thousands of flights were cancelled due to the coronavirus epidemic.
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Qantas Group reduces capacity by 25% – grounds eight Airbus A380’s

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/qant ... rbus-a380/

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Italy is being placed in complete lockdown over coronavirus fears

https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous ... rus-fears/

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

luchtzak wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 09:14 Italy is being placed in complete lockdown over coronavirus fears

https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous ... rus-fears/
yep, but Ryanair is still maintaining its service to Malpensa tomorrow and on Thursday when I have flights from and to BRU. I'm disgusted... though I wasn't going to use the MXP-BRU flight anyways, as I have a flight to Budapest from Milan.
However, they cancelled yesterday my flight from Bergamo to Budapest this Thursday, so I can be refunded but I wanted to ask you guys : I am entitled to much more under the EU261, as thay cancelled 3 d before, right?
Is there anything I can do about my two flights that are not cancelled? It doesn't make sense to me, although I understand there will be more people from Milan to Brussels... thanks!

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

stefanel wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 11:11 However, they cancelled yesterday my flight from Bergamo to Budapest this Thursday, so I can be refunded but I wanted to ask you guys : I am entitled to much more under the EU261, as thay cancelled 3 d before, right?
I think it's going to be a difficult one, as they might claim;
'the cancellation was caused by extraordinary circumstances that could not have been avoided by any reasonable measure'
Though, in that case, you might think ALL Ryanair flights to/from Italy would be cancelled.

I'd still file a claim

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Boeing Statement on Employee Diagnosed with COVID-19

EVERETT, Wash., March 9, 2020—Boeing is providing its full support to an employee at our Everett facility who has tested positive for COVID-19. The employee is now in quarantine receiving the care and treatment necessary for their recovery. We have notified our employees and are following the advice of public health officials. As a precaution, we’ve asked all coworkers of the employee who were in close contact to remain home to self-quarantine and self-monitor, and we’ve conducted a thorough cleaning of the work areas and common spaces.

We’re taking action to ensure the health and safety of our employees and their families. As previously communicated, we have asked employees in the Puget Sound region who are able to perform work offsite to telecommute from home. We continue to communicate openly and frequently with our employees and encourage everyone to exercise caution and take all appropriate health and safety measures, in coordination with their managers.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

British Airways, Wizz Air, easyJet, Ryanair and Aer Lingus cancel all flights to Italy. Expect many other airlines to follow suit...

Austria prohibits flights from North Italy (Milan, Venice, Bologna) to land on its territory. Denmark also forbids flights from Corona-heavily-affected countries to land at its airports.

Spain suspends all air traffic with Italy over coronavirus.

Air France-KLM chief executive Benjamin Smith has said that environmental taxes on aviation should be postponed due to the economic impact of the coronavirus. I think he is dreaming...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Dreaming to call it that way, but some money will need to flow his way soon or later I suppose.
They fly empty planes to keep slots and have no revenue, how can it last much longer ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

ezis_bis wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 11:36
stefanel wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 11:11 However, they cancelled yesterday my flight from Bergamo to Budapest this Thursday, so I can be refunded but I wanted to ask you guys : I am entitled to much more under the EU261, as thay cancelled 3 d before, right?
I think it's going to be a difficult one, as they might claim;
'the cancellation was caused by extraordinary circumstances that could not have been avoided by any reasonable measure'
Though, in that case, you might think ALL Ryanair flights to/from Italy would be cancelled.

I'd still file a claim
At the moment of the cancellation of Bergamo-Budapest, both airports were operational. The reason for the massive cancellations is not "the corona virus", which would be extraordinary circumstances indeed. The reason for the cancellations is: "low occuppancy" (due to the corona virus).

When this comes in court -which is almost allways the case with Ryanair- the judge may decide indeed that the corona virus is the reason. But against Ryanair in court is their severe cancellation policy: when there was already a negative travel advice, almost all other airlines offered free change or even refund, Except Ryanair: they stuck with their severe incasso policy: you cancel, you loose:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67995&start=140#p393259

If you don't have free legal assistance, there is no other choice fighting Ryanair then joining one of the incasso firms.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

SAS is asking employees to accept a 20% pay cut amid the coronavirus outbreak — which has thrown global aviation into crisis.
André
ex Sabena #26567

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

EU temporarily suspends airport slots rule to avoid airlines operating “ghost flights”

https://www.aviation24.be/organisations ... t-flights/

Aeroflot is reducing flight frequencies between Moscow and Tehran to one flight a week

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/aero ... ht-a-week/

Finnair cancels flights to Milan from 9 March to 7 April and to Rome from 12 March to 7 April

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/finn ... o-7-april/

Finnair further adjusts its European traffic in April due to the impacts of the coronavirus

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/finn ... ronavirus/

Air Malta suspends all flights to Milan amid Covid-19 concerns

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air- ... -concerns/

Norwegian cuts 15% of flights until mid-June; eyes temporary layoffs

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/norw ... -of-staff/

Delta Air Lines takes measures to address the financial impact; reduces capacity by 15%

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/delt ... ity-by-15/

lumumba wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 17:30 Why is Milan Malpensa still open?

From tomorrow also, airBaltic, LOT and Austrian are cancelling all flights to Malpensa.

I guess many airlines will make similar decisions.
+ Verona for airBaltic :

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/mila ... ronavirus/

+ airBaltic temporarily also suspends flights to Rome and Tel Aviv until 31 May

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/airb ... il-31-may/

...and reduces further capacity by 7% :

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/airb ... city-by-7/
sn26567 wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 12:27 Ryanair cancel all flights to Italy.
https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/ryan ... all-italy/
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

AF cancels all flights to Italy from 14 March until 3 April.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

What about Brussels Airlines? Still flying to Italy?

Looking at the Brussels Airport schedules for tomorrow, I see that most SN flights to Italy are cancelled, but I still see:

SN3201 to Venice (STA 0950)
SN3125 to Bologna (STA 1430)
SN3181 to Rome (STA 1440)
SN3195 to Turin (STA 1540)

Will they fly?
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

EL AL Israeli Airlines estimates its losses from the coronavirus crisis at US$70-90 million in January-April 2020, weighed down by its fleet renewal program. Revenue to be hit by $140-160 million during the period.

EL AL has already begun laying off some 20% of its workforce; and is requesting government aid. Israel announced a $1.1 billion fund to help companies struggling because of the effect of coronavirus.

Etihad has announced that it suspended temporarily all flights between Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia, in response to a directive from the GCAA of Saudi Arabia, to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Korean Air is grounding all 10 of its A380s plus approximately 90 other aircraft as traffic rapidly decreases from countries imposing entry restrictions on South Korea.
André
ex Sabena #26567

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Arkia will cut jobs and cancel most international routes until further notice. Israir will also cancel most, if not all, international routes within a week as the country implements quarantine measures.

Bamboo Airways has revised planned Hanoi – Prague service launch until 26 April 2020, with B787-9.

Cabo Verde Airlines to suspend flights to Washington DC until 31 May 2020, citing lack of demand due to global health concerns.

Etihad has announced that it suspended temporarily all flights between Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia, in response to a directive from the GCAA of Saudi Arabia, to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Garuda Indonesia is seeking to deploy capacity on cargo routes and to renegotiate leases as it seeks to contain the damage from the coronavirus outbreak.

Juneyao Air plans to resume to 50% of its previous capacity by the end of March 2020.

Xiamen Airlines has resumed 70% of its previously suspended domestic capacity.