Impact of the coronavirus crisis on aviation

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Impact of the coronavirus on aviation

Post by sn26567 »

US President Donald Trump sought to squelch talk about any potential bailout for the airline industry, which has seen flagging ticket sales amid growing fears about the spread of the coronavirus.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Belgian government will approve fiscal measures to help Belgian companies suffering from the corona virus crisis.

Amongst the measures to be approved today is a delay/cut in social contributions for this year, as well as a delay in the disembursement of TVA collected by those companies.

https://www.tijd.be/dossiers/coronaviru ... 12796.html

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

The future is not what it used be.

My second cancellation in 24 hours :

"Dear members of the Safety and Technical Committee,
We have just been informed that the Government of Kenya has issued a directive postponing all conferences and meetings of international nature in Kenya due to the ongoing global threat of the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Consequently, we regret to inform you that our Committee meetings as well as the 63rd ACI Africa Regional Conference globally, scheduled for 14-20 March 2020, has been postponed until further notice.

We apologize for
..."

Well "Better safe than sorry" is the motto of our industry, so let it be. Some are suffering much more than a simple cancellation/postponement.

H.A.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Air France suspension :

Hong Kong from 9 until 31 March 2020.
Taipei from 7 until 30 March 2020.
Shanghai PVG and Beijing PEK until end March
Wuhan until further notice
Seoul ICN & Singapore with a reduced frequency.

Lufthansa Group take drastic measure to reduce cash drain by halving its flight schedule

https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous ... -schedule/

Austrian government announced new measures, direct flights to Iran, South Korea, Bologna and Milan, to be suspended for 2 weeks. Selective health checks at border crossings and measure fever.

Passengers from China, South Korea and Iran would need a medical certificate to enter the country, to start next week for 2 weeks as well.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Air Astana has made a number of flight schedule changes, including the suspension of flights to Baku, Hong Kong, Beijing, Urumqi. Paris, Kuala Lumpur, and Mumbai.

Bangkok Airways announces a decrease in flight frequency as well as flight termination on certain domestic and international routes to be in line with current passenger demand.

Cathay Pacific is to close its final cabin crew base in Canada as part of its “ongoing business review”, putting 147 jobs at risk. The Vancouver base will close on 26 June 2020.

Croatia Airlines privatization has been suspended until further notice.

SkyUp suspends flights to Turin from 05 March to an estimated 25 October 2020 due to the coronavirus.

TAP Air Portugal will reduce capacity by 4% in March and 6% in April 2020, which represents a total of around 1000 flights. TAP has already taken some fundamental decisions, such as the suspension of all non-critical investments, the review and cut of non-essential expenses for the business or the suspension of hiring and new admissions, in addition to adapting supply to demand.

China’s Ministry of Finance and the CAA of China to offer financial support to airlines amid the coronavirus outbreak. Direct cash incentives will be poured into supporting domestic and foreign carriers which operate international flights to/from China.

South Korea will extend loans worth a total of US$250 million to airlines facing a liquidity crunch due to the impact of the coronavirus outbreak through Korea Development Bank and allow them to pay airport usage fees later.

Taiwan has prepared US$140 million budget to bail out Taiwan’s aviation industry if the novel coronavirus outbreak gets worse.

OPEC plans for deep and prolonged oil cuts were derailed as Russia refused to support the move arguing that it was too early to predict the impact of a coronavirus outbreak on global energy demand.

ERA urges for Coronavirus to be recognised as an extraordinary circumstance

https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous ... cumstance/

Delta Air Lines reduces Japan flight schedule due to COVID-19

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/delt ... -covid-19/

Brussels Airlines and the other Lufthansa Group airlines introduce flexible rebooking options

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... g-options/

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Onboard service at Air Corsica reduced.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

LOT offers flexible rebooking options.

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

Cathay Pacific has suspended Israel service.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Corona madness, low cost style:

Last Monday, 60-year old Dutch citizen Willem Ouwerkerk, now living in Casal de Merio (Portugal), had checked in at Eindhoven Airport (NL) for his Ryanair flight to Porto. In the airports’ waiting hall, he had a chat with fellow passengers, and he told them he had visited a farewell party for an ex collegue in Altena, his birthday town. So far, so good. At the boarding gate, Ryanair check-in staff asked him “have you been in Altena?”. “Yes”. The Police was then called, and mr Ouwerkerk was guided to the airport exit. Altena is the city in the Netherlands with the first corona case... Ryanair told him he was allowed on a next flight, but only with a fit-to-fly medical declaration.

On Friday, he finally flew to Porto. With Transavia.

Source:
https://www.omroepbrabant.nl/nieuws/316 ... naar-Porto
and
https://www.omroepbrabant.nl/nieuws/316 ... oord-wilde

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

And Lombardy, North of Italy in lockdown. 16,000,000 people living there ....

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Confirmed: Lufthansa Will Ground Airbus A380 Fleet Until at Least May, Possibly Extended into June

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2020 ... into-june/

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

How can we avoid multiple bankrupsies ?
Airlines are already on the edge when everything is ok
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

luchtzak wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 09:29 And Lombardy, North of Italy in lockdown. 16,000,000 people living there ....
New Belgian travel advice for Italy, with rules from today till at least 03th April 2020:

"...Strenge maatregelen moeten bovendien toegepast worden in heel Italië: onder meer de opschorting van congressen, spektakels, meetings; sluiting van musea, pubs, discotheken; de verplichting een meter afstand te houden tussen personen; de raad van thuis te blijven indien men symptomen vertoont; de raad aan risicopersonen van contacten te vermijden en thuis te blijven; verplaatsingen te beperken; regelmatig zijn handen te wassen..."
https://diplomatie.belgium.be/nl/Dienst ... zen/italie

"...En outre, des mesures strictes sont appliquées sur tout le territoire de l’Italie. Ces mesures comportent, e.a. : suspension des congrès, spectacles, meetings ; fermeture des musées, pub, discothèques ; obligation de respecter la distance d’un mètre entre personnes ; conseil de rester confiné à la maison si l’on présente des symptômes, aux personnes à risque de limiter les contacts et de rester chez elles, limiter les déplacements, se laver les mains régulièrement...."
https://diplomatie.belgium.be/fr/Servic ... ion/italie

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Why is Milan Malpensa still open?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

lumumba wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 17:30 Why is Milan Malpensa still open?
From tomorrow, Alitalia is suspending ALL flights from/to Milan Malpensa and operates only a reduced number of domestic flights from/to Milan Linate.

From tomorrow also, airBaltic, LOT and Austrian are cancelling all flights to Malpensa.

I guess many airlines will make similar decisions.
André
ex Sabena #26567

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

That's also what I'm wondering, I have three flights to and from Malpensa and Bergamo next week and so far, FR hasn't cancelled any of them, whilst, we, Belgians are not allowed to go there unless we want to be stuck there till at least 3 April!
I really wanted to go as there are only 360 cases in Milano province out of 4mio inhabitants!
Italian measures are so disproportionate!!!
I don't know who will fly Brussels-Malpensa, even locals don't want to go and be trapped there, many ppl are trying to escape to other Italian regions, it's a big chaos there now.

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Was on U2 GVA-BRU. in inflight service due to covid-19.
Explanation : all the food is not in bags
Second problem : too many noshow and they don't want to put food in the bin.
First flight of the day was FCO-GVA : full reserved and only 21 PAX really on board

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

stefanel wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 18:06
That's also what I'm wondering, I have three flights to and from Malpensa and Bergamo next week and so far, FR hasn't cancelled any of them, whilst, we, Belgians are not allowed to go there unless we want to be stuck there till at least 3 April!
I really wanted to go as there are only 360 cases in Milano province out of 4mio inhabitants!
Italian measures are so disproportionate!!!
I don't know who will fly Brussels-Malpensa, even locals don't want to go and be trapped there, many ppl are trying to escape to other Italian regions, it's a big chaos there now.
Some airlines have adapted flexible cancellation rules for 'corona'. Other airlines hope that the passengers will cancel themselves, thus giving up their payments. Example, now online: "...If you are contacting us in relation to your travel plans in and out of Italy, there is currently no change to advice for airlines or customers from the Italian authorities and our flights are operating as normal. We would like to reassure customers that our existing policies and procedures are in line with the guidance provided by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and EASA..."
https://www.ryanair.com/lv/en/useful-in ... s-covid-19

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sn26567 wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 17:51
From tomorrow, Alitalia is suspending ALL flights from/to Milan Malpensa and operates only a reduced number of domestic flights from/to Milan Linate.
Alitalia reorganises services to Milan and Venice after Italian decree quarantining Lombardy and other regions

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/alit ... r-regions/
André
ex Sabena #26567