Brussels Airport monthly traffic figures

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Re: Brussels Airport monthly traffic figures

Post by Atlantis »

JOVAN wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 20:29

A more dynamic person at the top of BRU, defending the comfort and convenience of the PAX, instead of the sole money interests of the (greedy ??) shareholders would be of great help.
But his mandate has be extended for another 5 or 6 years.
A more dynamic person for BRU. Hmmm, let me tell you once again that Mr Feist is the best ever CEO that BRU had.
We are extremely happy that he will be on position for the next 6 years.

Het has very good interaction with all employees, he is very visible and he takes care of everyone. Something what we cannot say about all previous ones.

Greedy shareholders??? Thanks to to greedy shareholders we have the Connector, the full renovation of Brucargo, two new firestations, double airbridges ongoing and many things.
Should I even tell you how much budget they gave us for each project???

Do they want something in return? Of course. You don't invest in an empty box. If I invest in an other company by buying shares then I also want return. This is business, you give and you take.
By investing more in BRU, they will have even more return and this more will be invested again in other projects.

So, no dynamic in this airport or CEO??? Forget it, it is plenty of it bcs a lot of projects are ongoing in meantime. As second biggest economic place in the country you can't sit and wait. We act instead of dreaming pink clouds
Last edited by Atlantis on 27 Dec 2019, 16:09, edited 2 times in total.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 22:42
Passenger wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 12:02 Unbelievable. About three years after the biggest terror attack ever in Belgium, the airport has not only recovered, but also has set a new passengers record. But some people suggest it's not that good at all...

Congratulations, Brussels Airport!
I fully agree. But I can't stop wondering where BRU would stand today if the 2016 attacks didn't happen... Close to 30 million?
30 million is maybe a bit high as it is only 3 years difference, but the airlines which were in the picture at that time are now flying here, except of some frequenties.
But I can tell you that since 2004, when we had the first big private investor, Macquarie Airports, we have 11 million pax more

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 22:45
Atlantis wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 13:03 India is a huge market. Daily flights are needed.
African continent is the biggest potential. I a couple of years they will have mega cities who will be larger then NY. To not only fly by ourself but to attract also those new carriers from there.
American continent with flights to South America and flights to Houston, SF, Boston and evening flight to NY
Is this what you hope for? What BAC is working towards or what might be in the pipeline?
This is not what I hope for, this is what they are working on it right now

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Jetter wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 23:40 Regardless of how you think BRU is doing you can't blame a single person or entity. Everyone needs to work together to have a big hub in a small country and the needed vision simply isn't there. Compare not only the airport ownership with AMS but what recently happened after AFKL tried to fire the KL CEO who had big support among staff and politicians: the Dutch government put up E 750 million in a few weeks time to become a major shareholder and the CEO is still there. Can you imagine the Belgian state do the same with LH? In the past it's the same, while both government owned SN was managed politically and KL as a business.

It's never to late to change things though. One can hope for a comprehensive aviation agenda in Belgium someday. 8-) Something like this would be a good start. https://www.luchtvaartindetoekomst.nl/l ... fault.aspx (Dutch)
Exactly, it is useless to point one person. There are so many departments who are working daily on many projects.The marketing or Aviation department has contact with every potential airline they would like to bring to BRU. But that's one thing. There is also politics, negotiations, billateral agreements to make it possible. If politics is not interested in it or so slow, bcs they only think about their own position, then you can't do much

lucas

Post by lucas »

Atlantis wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 14:05
Atlantis wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 13:03 India is a huge market. Daily flights are needed.
African continent is the biggest potential. I a couple of years they will have mega cities who will be larger then NY. To not only fly by ourself but to attract also those new carriers from there.
American continent with flights to South America and flights to Houston, SF, Boston and evening flight to NY
Is this what you hope for? What BAC is working towards or what might be in the pipeline?
And what timeline is there for these extra destinations/frequenties? Are these just premature projects or are they in an advanced stage?
Are you even allowed to tell that?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

lucas wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 14:47
Atlantis wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 14:05

And what timeline is there for these extra destinations/frequenties? Are these just premature projects or are they in an advanced stage?
Are you even allowed to tell that?
You never can place a time line, everything goes like it is and when all points are discussed, planes are available, slots are received, the announcement can be and booking can start. A time line would work like a chain.
What is ongoing now is already on high level and stage

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

[/quote]

Greedy shareholders??? Thanks to to greedy shareholders we have the Connector, the full renovation of Brucargo, two new firestations, double airbridges ongoing and many things.
Should I even tell you how much budget they gave us for each project???

Do they want something in return? Of course. You don't invest in an empty box. If I invest in an other company by buying shares then I also want return. This is business, you give and you take.
By investing more in BRU, they will have even more return and this more will be invested again in other projects.

[/quote]

I still believe the problem of BRU lies with the shareholders.
Dividend that BRU is keeping for them is extremely high. ( about 5 times what AMS is paying ).

A more balanced use of the benefits ( a bigger part for investmenst eg) would certainly help to attract new airlines and open new destinations.

Pier A West will not be ready before 2030 probably.
Do you think, for instance, that UA decision makers are positively impressed by Pier B and the Immigration-queues at Arrival and the very long baggage delivery when they consider opening new connections from/to USA?

The airport can do a lot better in making itself attarctive for its customers. (PAX and AIRLINES).

Only Pier A and the Connector are international standard (as far as PAX can judge). The rest is more 70's style; not OK for an ambitious airport.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

JOVAN wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 17:56 I still believe the problem of BRU lies with the shareholders.
Dividend that BRU is keeping for them is extremely high. ( about 5 times what AMS is paying ).
My information says BRU payed 93 million, CDG 173 million and AMS 117 million over 2018. AMS and CDG are multiple times larger thus BRU’s dividend is still remarkably high, especially considering AMS makes most money with real estate and not the aviation business.

BRU made more profit over just 2018 than BRU’s home carriers, handlers etc. over the past decade. That isn’t a healthy balance.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

So what kind of shareholder do you propose?
Before Macquarie Airports the value of the airport was not that high. They invested a lot, new airlines were attracted.
Then the Canadians came and invested even more.
What is even more important, they kept trust in BRU after the attacks.
Since Macquarie left, the airport tripled in value!! And this bcs we have a very mature, responsible management who are doing everything like it should be.

This makes it easier to cooperate with the shareholders

Do you really think that UA cares how the infrastructure looks like? They don't.
To cross the border in The States takes longer there then here. Thousands of people are losing the connections there.
If there would be a category who is very secure regarding punctuality then those are Chinese and Japanese

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Jetter wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 18:54
JOVAN wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 17:56 I still believe the problem of BRU lies with the shareholders.
My information says BRU payed 93 million, CDG 173 million and AMS 117 million over 2018. AMS and CDG are multiple times larger thus BRU’s dividend is still remarkably high, especially considering AMS makes most money with real estate and not the aviation business.

BRU made more profit over just 2018 than BRU’s home carriers, handlers etc. over the past decade. That isn’t a healthy balance.
Quite obvious. The former state shareholder didn't invest in the airport. It was an old airport in 2000. Since 2004 everything changed. Huge investments and many are ongoing. Now finally the return is there after all the effort. This goes back to the users, clients.
To give an example of Brucargo. Almost each client is receiving new buildings. They don't have to invest, BRU is doing this. Clients has to pay only rent. Clients are extremely satisfied about this. There is even a waiting list for companies who would like to open the office there.
Regarding landing fees and fees for pax, this is negotiated in terms. If a term is almost at the end a new and maybe cheaper one can be.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Atlantis wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 19:08

Quite obvious. The former state shareholder didn't invest in the airport. It was an old airport in 2000. Since 2004 everything changed. Huge investments and many are ongoing. Now finally the return is there after all the effort. This goes back to the users, clients.
To give an example of Brucargo. Almost each client is receiving new buildings. They don't have to invest, BRU is doing this. Clients has to pay only rent. Clients are extremely satisfied about this. There is even a waiting list for companies who would like to open the office there.
Regarding landing fees and fees for pax, this is negotiated in terms. If a term is almost at the end a new and maybe cheaper one can be.
And the rent is upped because these buildings are newer also. It is not a gift towards handlers and other companies. The lease of land would be more generous as in time it comes out way cheaper than renting a building.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

flightlover wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 20:33
Atlantis wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 19:08

And the rent is upped because these buildings are newer also. It is not a gift towards handlers and other companies. The lease of land would be more generous as in time it comes out way cheaper than renting a building.
Well it depend from part to part. Certain are renting, others have building of their own since many years including the ground. But constructions has to be all regarding ecology now

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Passenger wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 12:02 Unbelievable. About three years after the biggest terror attack ever in Belgium, the airport has not only recovered, but also has set a new passengers record. But some people suggest it's not that good at all...

Congratulations, Brussels Airport!
Brussels, the capital, released also today their figures regarding tourism. They had a record year ever. 11% more overnight stays, 37% more business travel and 48% more holiday travel. Also 3 years after the attacks they have records

larsV

Post by larsV »

I read the forums alot but I dont comment much.
I dont understand the negativity around BRU that you often read on this forum.
I fly alot and pass through many airports and I feel BRU is one of the best.
I will pay more for a ticket just to arrive in BRU instead of AMS or CDG.
It is one of the smoothest airports regarding immigration and customs that I know.
If you pass through BKK or SGN quite often you will understand what long queues and waiting lines are.
BRU is perfect. It has always surprised me that BRU cannot attract more long haul since it has an excellent geographic location but I feel the situation is improving.
The only thing that looks old to me is arrival (luggage collection area and arrival hall). That does look like a 70’s airport.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

larsV wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 01:07 I read the forums alot but I dont comment much.
I dont understand the negativity around BRU that you often read on this forum.
I fly alot and pass through many airports and I feel BRU is one of the best.
I will pay more for a ticket just to arrive in BRU instead of AMS or CDG.
It is one of the smoothest airports regarding immigration and customs that I know.
If you pass through BKK or SGN quite often you will understand what long queues and waiting lines are.
BRU is perfect. It has always surprised me that BRU cannot attract more long haul since it has an excellent geographic location but I feel the situation is improving.
The only thing that looks old to me is arrival (luggage collection area and arrival hall). That does look like a 70’s airport.
Thanks for your post LarsV.

Being negative is indeed the second name of many of them. They know everything better. They would run an airport better then the most experienced people. Complaining is the favorite sport of Belgians

Let me disagree with you regarding the arrival hall. This is fully refurbished, more space, modern, light. I don't see why you are using the term 70's for this

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

[[ off-topic ]] For this once, dear @Atlantis, I feel it is you that are needlessly negative. Certainly there are those who post all kinds of ideas about how to improve airports and/or airlines; it annoys me too because it sounds so much like the "armchair manager" phenomenon that I so loathe. It is indeed all too easy to know everything better from a comfortable distance; the nearer one comes to reality, the more one will think, and the less will be said. Still, it seems obvious to me those criticisms are more often based on lack of actual knowledge than on real negativism. It is our lot to guide these very enthusiastic but less knowledgeable people to knowledge, perhaps even to a little degree of wisdom.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 14:38 [[ off-topic ]] For this once, dear @Atlantis, I feel it is you that are needlessly negative. Certainly there are those who post all kinds of ideas about how to improve airports and/or airlines; it annoys me too because it sounds so much like the "armchair manager" phenomenon that I so loathe. It is indeed all too easy to know everything better from a comfortable distance; the nearer one comes to reality, the more one will think, and the less will be said. Still, it seems obvious to me those criticisms are more often based on lack of actual knowledge than on real negativism. It is our lot to guide these very enthusiastic but less knowledgeable people to knowledge, perhaps even to a little degree of wisdom.
Hi Jan,

In which way I'm negative? As far as I know I share the knowledge to those ones who don't know.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

They know everything better.
They would run an airport better then the most experienced people.
Complaining is the favorite sport of Belgians

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

Atlantis wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 18:41
jan_olieslagers wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 14:38 [[ off-topic ]] For this once, dear @Atlantis, I feel it is you that are needlessly negative. Certainly there are those who post all kinds of ideas about how to improve airports and/or airlines; it annoys me too because it sounds so much like the "armchair manager" phenomenon that I so loathe. It is indeed all too easy to know everything better from a comfortable distance; the nearer one comes to reality, the more one will think, and the less will be said. Still, it seems obvious to me those criticisms are more often based on lack of actual knowledge than on real negativism. It is our lot to guide these very enthusiastic but less knowledgeable people to knowledge, perhaps even to a little degree of wisdom.
Hi Jan,

In which way I'm negative? As far as I know I share the knowledge to those ones who don't know.
This is a Forum for Aviation Enthusiasts.
People with no interest on this subject and related items will be active on oter sites, I think.

This airport, like many other companies and organisations has not only Shareholders, a highly remunerated CEO and managers, a (politically inspired) B.o.Directors., etc...
There are also Stakeholders: the airlines, employees working long hours in sometimes difficult conditions, the contractors and suppliers (sometimes working with unfair contracts, ... and the PAX (!!).
As a regular PAX, I see BRU could do a lot better.
Like many people I complain about the long queues (Immigration, baggage belts,...) and the many obsolete parts of the Airport Complex.

I appreciate a good, open, polite discussions. That is what Forums (Fora ?) are about.
Atlantis gives a lot of good information and arguments to think about.

Other members immediatly treat you as "armchair manager"; not finding any arguments to contribute to the discussion.

BRU is expensive, not offering the quality and services that PAX expect from an airport.
I travel a lot for my job. So I can compare airports.
As a Passenger I look at things from a Passengers' point of view.

There are things I can accept at CRL . NOT at BRU.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Regarding waiting time at luggage belts is too long indeed. The contractors have too less people to handle the number of planes. There are negotiations between BRU and the contractors to solve this situation. More people during rush hours.
A lot of services are third party related. Not like it was in the past when Sabena had their own aircraft cleaning dept, catering, etc
Everything changed but service should be the same or higher.

A few years ago we installed the new luggage handling, but after a few issues, it is decided to install a whole new one.

Immigration is the same topic, but this is politics related. And as it looks now with this not fixed government, nothing will change for the better which we cannot accept of course.

We saw during Summer the same problems at our neighbour airports. Eindhoven and AMS had a lot of luggage belts problems, especially Eindhoven, fuel problems and strikes at AMS.

Good things were working before. Certain people are leaving and certain knowledge is leaving with them. So the newer ones don't know everything and it takes more time to solve.

You can question yourself how it is possible that it was not seen during maintenance or daily tasks at AMS that a not fixed wire was the cause that they could not fuel anymore. A stupid not fixed wire of a few euro caused such delays and claims

In high standard living, we should never forget about going back to the basics and this is everywhere.

Believe me, PAX are on the first place. Without pax we don't have a business. It's for our PAX that we are doing this with very motivated people who welcome you with a smile every day