Inverted name/surname on booking

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Nick33

Inverted name/surname on booking

Post by Nick33 »

Hello everyone,
While checking online at my family's booking (4pax), I noticed my daughter's surname and first name are inverted on my booking. Must have been my mistake at online booking time.
We're flying BRU-ROME-ABU DHABI-Bangkok.

Googling forums advice is mixed. Many say airlines are ok with it and don't contact customer serivice ahead of flight, others say do contact and pay..

Any experience / advice to give ?

Thanks

lumumba

Re: Inverted name/surname on booking

Post by lumumba »

Hey.
With Brussels Airlines you can change it in the first 24h without problem maybe it's like that with other airlines?
But anyway it's always better to call them to see if you have to change something.
Last time it happens to me it was no problem at all the only problem was that they could not linked it to my Frequent Flyer card but that was it.
Regards
Hasta la victoria siempre.

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Happend me also...
My advice... It Will probably be OKAY....
But... I wouldn't contact them, .. if you have to pay you shall pay on check inn no ?
And then there is pressure for them to get it all cleared in time...
Don't start bureaucracy if you can avoid it anyway. .

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

Just out of curiosity: did you choose BRU-FCO-AUH-BKK (2 stop) because of the cheaper fare?

Nick33

Post by Nick33 »

yup cheaper via Rome...
4 pax at x-mas not cheap

Nick33

Post by Nick33 »

Thanks for your replies.

Went to BRU airport today to talk to Etihad check-in lady, said shouldn't be a problem, but better to call the call center...
Had same discussion with Emirates as the wife flew with them today, and they said no problem.
I guess each airline has their own policy...

Nick33

Post by Nick33 »

Just returned the trip on Etihad and contrary to advice from the online travel agent and the airline, we risked it and no questions were ever asked. We traveled fine.

It was for 1 of our party of 4.

routing was Brussels-Rome-Abu Dhabi-Bangkok and return Bangkok-Abu Dhabi-BRU

The online travel agent emailed their answer the day prior to departure :

"If the name on your ticket does not match the one in your passport, your ticket is not valid for travel.
Tickets are personal and non-transferable. The only possibility to change the name is by cancelling your ticket and buying a new one."

Obviously the OTA has to put this in writing and probably the airline too.

But in practice it worked fine.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

IMHO you were lucky, despite the fact that your first name and surname were correct (but in the wrong order).

A good piece of advice is that you always need to check carefully ALL the data before pushing the "submit" button.
André
ex Sabena #26567

airtrainer

Post by airtrainer »

Good to hear it went ok.
As a side note, my first name being "Jean-François" I've never had any confirmation written correctly as most booking engines won't accept "-" and/or "ç". Also many times I see my name as "Jean" or "JeanFranco" (10 letters max). Still doesn't beat a domestic flight on Sriwijaya Air when I was given a boarding pass with no name at all :lol: