Flanders : Plane-pooling

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

cathay belgium

Flanders : Plane-pooling

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Our Flanders minister decided that she will fly to Madrid for the climate change conference, this by plane-pooling !
This means she will fly with a full plane instead of with a minimum of pax.

If so...
Will she fly SN-FR-UX-IB ??
Will she fly within europe in Y or C ???
Or will she invite some friends to fill up the E145 of the Belgium government for a wknd Madrid ??
If she will,.. I'm free this weekend ! :)

So finally the CO2 and aviation discussion can stop...
We pax and all carriers want to plane-pool and fly full planes , so this will reduce our carbon footprint by..
Massive !!!

Finally our Belgium government is acting !
Solutions.. made in Belgium...signature .. Magritte !!

CXB

Well this is an interesting idea for the future no ??

- by no political opinions ;) just the idea of plane pooling for the topic okay ??!! , I know political opinions are not wanted here haha
New types flown 2022.. A339

sn26567

Re: Flanders : Plane-pooling

Post by sn26567 »

:lol:

A funny post of yours, CX B.

But let's be serious for a moment. Although aviation emissions represent only 2 to 3% of the total greenhouse gases emissions of the planet, many people consider them as a luxury that the Earth can no longer afford. The aviation industry counters that aeroplanes have never been as efficient as now and turns to the governments which cannot agree on a Single European Sky that would cut emissions even more.

And then, are planes the most efficient way to travel when the distance is less than 500 km? KLM has taken a first step by cancelling one rotation (out of 5) between BRU and AMS. SN tried to do the same between Paris and BRU, but it failed. This shows that even on short distances we are far away from having people changing their mind.

Aeroplanes will remain needed in the future. For speed and for distances above ... (up to you to set the limit). And aviation will evolve to become cleaner. Airbus is studying hybrid planes. But it will take a lot of time before we see a full-electric plane capable of transporting dozens of passengers.

Let's look with confidence to the future!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

My two cents:

The more efficient the planes become, the cheaper tickets become, the more people fly, the more fuel is burnt, the more emissions.
So more efficient planes cause more emissions.

Cheers,

Stijn

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Stij wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 12:00 My two cents:

The more efficient the planes become, the cheaper tickets become, the more people fly, the more fuel is burnt the more emissions.
So more efficient planes cause more emissions.

Cheers,

Stijn
Interesting interpretation... totally agree

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace »

sn26567 wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 11:21many people consider them as a luxury that the Earth can no longer afford. The aviation industry counters that aeroplanes have never been as efficient as now and turns to the governments which cannot agree on a Single European Sky that would cut emissions even more.
Don't think the majority of the people think that way, we are to keen on our "freedom to travel".

The problem is that from an engineering point of view, travel by air IS luxury. It's been too long from my studies, but I believe luxury can be determined on a scale of required investment/kg. Aviation on that scale ends up in luxury. You can economise by applying "masses" but only to a certain extent.

To come back to the original subject: "plane-pooling" is not a solution, as it destroys the "mass" idea. It limits the amount of flights. You can limit the amount of flights, but then... people need to pay a luxury price again. So one can plane-pool, but one also needs to pay full price, like we all should. Only then the impact on climate can be valid as the amount of flights are reduced. The impact of the current amount of flights, even only 3% or whatever, cannot be neglected.