Brussels Airlines in 2019

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

VoloperTe

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by VoloperTe »

Brussels Airlines must keep widebodies fleet in the future... a mix of A330/A321LR for Africa and A330 for USA&Canada. For Europe network i think a mix of A220-100/A320 it's more than enough !

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

Luanda is one of them....
With few weekly flights to Luanda, CDG-Luanda is probably one of most profitable for Air France. Things have probably changed since early 2010s. However AF added a 3rd daily service to Luanda, few years ago. Flights are now operated with a mix B777-200ER / 300ER, A330-200 and soon B787-9.

Air France jostled on its most profitable network

Lufthansa should expand its influence in Africa. A continent which, since the beginning of the economic crisis, is the lifeline of the French company.

Paris-Luanda

Today, the most profitable axis of Air France in margin rate (61%) is Paris-Luanda but the one that yields the most in absolute value is Paris-Libreville (45 million) because of a number of frequencies more important: four round trips a week against two.

https://www.lefigaro.fr/societes/2010/0 ... ntable.php
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

I wonder why people are insisting SN needs to deploy A330's accross the Atlantic.

From BRU the A321(X)LR aircraft is a perfectly capable aircraft. You can fit a cosy 2x2 side by side or 1x1 slanted C product, a PE with some extra legroom and a good economy cabin. This can work also for Africa and for niche routes. Mind you TLV is within range of regular CEO's and NEO's and SN doesn't have the customer base to fill the front of the plane as I describe it on that market. Perhaps a subfleet of PE+Y only should be investigated.

SN should be a boutique airline that addresses it's home market: it's in the name, it's called Brussels Airlines for a reason and they should stick with that. 20 years ago there were 2 trends in aviation: hub & spoke and point to point. We know know which one is sustainable for them: the latter.

The only way SN will be at an advantage against the hub & spoke players, whether by business model like EK, QR or TK or by opportunity to fill their planes like our neighbors AF, BA, KL & LH is by competing on service and on frequency, not on volumes. They need the right sized plane so that people can select the nonstop option on any given day and pay a small premium for it. An airline makes much more money on a point to point ticket than the other undercutting with a one stop at the same total price, that includes more airport & transit taxes.

Wait for a 5-year long reboot and somebody else will have filled the void. What if say Air Belgium leased some A321XLR's and ploughed the Atlantic from CRL (hypothetical) by the time SN has rebooted? In IT terms it's your favorite color (blue for Windows, purple for VMware,...) screen of death.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

rwandan-flyer wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 19:09
Luanda is one of them....
With few weekly flights to Luanda, CDG-Luanda is probably one of most profitable for Air France. Things have probably changed since early 2010s. However AF added a 3rd daily service to Luanda, few years ago. Flights are now operated with a mix B777-200ER / 300ER, A330-200 and soon B787-9.

Air France jostled on its most profitable network

Lufthansa should expand its influence in Africa. A continent which, since the beginning of the economic crisis, is the lifeline of the French company.

Paris-Luanda

Today, the most profitable axis of Air France in margin rate (61%) is Paris-Luanda but the one that yields the most in absolute value is Paris-Libreville (45 million) because of a number of frequencies more important: four round trips a week against two.

https://www.lefigaro.fr/societes/2010/0 ... ntable.php
Hey Rwanda-flyer.

Air France has a BIG contract with Total and other big oil companies here,they have a special frequent flyer card for them the petrol club card....
Brussels Airlines doesn't have this and will never have we don't have a big national oil company anymore.
Lufthansa on the other hand has a huge hub with a lot of possibilities and again SN doesn't have it,a lot of Russians and Chinese fly with LH.
But there is a market for SN but it's smaller for example when flying from the US Brussels Airlines is the only airline to offer a smooth morning connection.

But Brussels Airlines need to remove this Kinshasa stop it's a problem for a lot of customers.
That's why a A321 has a lot of potential here.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 17:26
Conti764 wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 11:09
Passenger wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 10:21 Air France’s “monoply” for Bamako is one 787 on a triangle flight: Paris-Bamako-Abidjan-Bamako-Paris (AF520/AF521).

What’s in there for Brussels Airlines, if they would fly to Bamako too and if Air France is unwilling to cancelling some of their flights: 75 pax per flight? 100 perhaps?

But please, keep up the good work, guys. And maybe someday you will invent the wheel indeed. But with your great Bamako discovery here, I don’t think you have. Apart from the fact that “Bamako” is discussed regularly within Brussels Airlines, ànd with relevant data like arr and dep statistics.
For the umpteenth time, passenger, this is a forum for aviation enthusiasts, not professionals. People on this forum have the right to think about aviation, write down their idea's and read opinions of other aviation enthusiasts. If you are looking for a professional platform, I am sure you can find it somewhere else. No need for (your typical) arrogance.

Back on topic... "if Air France is willing to cancelling some of their flights?" Is that even relevant? Did KL ask SN to cut back frequency to KGL when they started the flight?

And AF flies it daily on a mix of planes, depending on period: B789, A359, B772, A332... And they are the sole airline between BKO and Europe, thus having a factual monopoly on said route.

And indeed, SN has the figures and facts about the viability of this flight, but again this forum is for enthusiasts, not professionals.
Thank you... indeed I am very far for being a professional but I am « only » an aviation enthusiast... and a die-hard brussels airlines fan ;-)
Hi,
Just booked a flight from CDG to BKO... it costed me almost 1100 EUR return, which is very high due to AF monopoly. Again I am quite sure there is room for SN on that route on a triangle flight? ;-)

convair

Post by convair »

SN is still flying to Nantes today. Do they still plan to discontinue?

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

A couple of days ago I heard that details about the Reboot plan will be announced next Thursday.
Anyone to confirm the date ?

Next Thursday is November 7th. What a nice touch to pick that date and not a day before or after.
:cry:

H.A.

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 17:52 Next Thursday is November 7th. What a nice touch to pick that date and not a day before or after.
Why?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

DeltaWiskey wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 22:18
Homo Aeroportus wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 17:52 Next Thursday is November 7th. What a nice touch to pick that date and not a day before or after.
Why?
On 7th Nov 2001, Sabena was declared bankrupt.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Passenger wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 22:24
Why?
7/11 is the end of the 'silence period' and publication of the LHG 3rd interim report 2019 (JAN-SEPT) - that's the primary reason. As from that date (and not a day earlier) much more financial figures can (and probably will) be communicated to the staff (which is basically synonym to external communication - there have been enough leaks over the past months to realise that). I can only assume those figures will be used as a background to give more info about Reboot. But all details? I doubt it

https://investor-relations.lufthansagro ... tions.html

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

Passenger wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 22:24
Why?
Lol, it is just like RoMax said, it's the day that Lufthansa announces its Q3 results. Don't take it personally like H.A., it has nothing to do with Sabena.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

It's also on the same date, 7 November, that Austrian will disclose details of its huge savings plan

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... operation/
André
ex Sabena #26567

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

convair wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 11:03 SN is still flying to Nantes today. Do they still plan to discontinue?
Will end 23/11. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brussels_ ... stinations
Don't know if that information is correct, but that explains it ...

BTW: in the November issue of B-Inspired following destinations can still be seen on the map (but will or might disappear with the reboot plan of course):
- Seville, Almeria, Alicante
- Heraklion, Kalamata, Athens
- Yerevan
- St Petersburg
- Bordeaux, Nantes and 4 destinations on Corsica
- Zagreb, Split, Dubrovnik, Zadar
- Ohrid
- Olbia and 3 destinations on Sicily
- Hurghada
- Funchal
- Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Fuerteventura

I think the latter (4) will remain, I think also several of the Croatian destinations, but many of the above might be dropped. Curious to see which ones will remain.

Most of the Greece destinations are gone, as well as Sal and a few others ...

Cheers,
Danny

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

sn26567 wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 20:36 It's also on the same date, 7 November, that Austrian will disclose details of its huge savings plan

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... operation/
And also AF/KLM will release their Q3 results on the same day, 07/11

Deejay

Post by Deejay »

Shouldn’t SN also ditch their LOOP program? it must have a cost two operate two FF programs...

As a FF myself, I find it rather annoying not to be able to simply login with my M&M account, and be able to make a swift reservation without having to retype all the data...
The only way to login on SN’s website is with the Loop account, and they do not save the M&M data...

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Deejay wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 10:23 Shouldn’t SN also ditch their LOOP program? it must have a cost two operate two FF programs...

As a FF myself, I find it rather annoying not to be able to simply login with my M&M account, and be able to make a swift reservation without having to retype all the data...
The only way to login on SN’s website is with the Loop account, and they do not save the M&M data...
LOOP disappears!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Boeing767copilot wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 13:47 LOOP disappears!
I wonder how they will integrate the people with Loop bonuses and awards into the Miles & More programme. They could rely on the previous experience when SN's Privilege programme was abolished to adopt M&M, but are there still employees who were involved in the switch?
André
ex Sabena #26567

A321Lufthansa

Post by A321Lufthansa »

DannyVDB wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 21:23
convair wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 11:03 SN is still flying to Nantes today. Do they still plan to discontinue?
Will end 23/11. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brussels_ ... stinations
Don't know if that information is correct, but that explains it ...

BTW: in the November issue of B-Inspired following destinations can still be seen on the map (but will or might disappear with the reboot plan of course):
- Seville, Almeria, Alicante
- Heraklion, Kalamata, Athens
- Yerevan
- St Petersburg
- Bordeaux, Nantes and 4 destinations on Corsica
- Zagreb, Split, Dubrovnik, Zadar
- Ohrid
- Olbia and 3 destinations on Sicily
- Hurghada
- Funchal
- Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Fuerteventura

I think the latter (4) will remain, I think also several of the Croatian destinations, but many of the above might be dropped. Curious to see which ones will remain.

Most of the Greece destinations are gone, as well as Sal and a few others ...

Cheers,
Danny
They will also stop operating Moscow flights from 18.11 till 20.12 and from 11.01 till 24.02. According to one of SVO employees their flights are usually loaded with 80-90 passengers. After moving to SVO they have nothing to do against Aeroflot which offers completely same on-ground conditions, a much better service with almost same prices and 21 weekly (3 daily) flights on board B738 against 5 weekly 319 in summer season and 4 weekly 320 in winter season.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

To business destinations you need to have daily flights and the best are twice daily. On this way you can offer to your pax the needed flexibility. Now they just take the competition bcs of very flexible hours and frequentie.

Their route network is a mess as too much leisure destinations. Drop them and keep only a few to Spain where we have a lot of Belgians who are living there and others who are really top destinations.

But to build a real business network is needed bcs foreign long haul airlines are requesting this also from SN but they can't offer.

And as second, invest also in a regional fleet of A220

Deejay

Post by Deejay »

Atlantis wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 19:56
And as second, invest also in a regional fleet of A220
are you sure ?

The LX experience with the A220 is dramatic ... + bad seating, bad pitch...
I do think the OS Embraers are much more reliable, aren't they ?