2019 Antwerp Airport (ANR/EBAW) latest news

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

PttU

Re: 2019 Antwerp Airport (ANR/EBAW) latest news

Post by PttU »

In short:
* Rumours about flights to Geneva, Zurich, Hamburg, Munich, Manchester and even Tel Aviv. No company mentioned or insinuated.
* Parking P2 will be expanded, old buildings will be broken down as Parking P3 will become a bus-garage for De Lijn.
* Antwerp Airport is profitable, but discussion whether fees for airport security should be included.
* WILLOO and other complainers are complaining.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Antwerp - Tel Aviv would be profitable indeed, rumours in an Antwerp Spotters group, is to see TUI with the E2 (with recent arrival at BRU of E2, and departure to LBG)...
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

TLspotting wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 20:56 Antwerp - Tel Aviv would be profitable indeed, rumours in an Antwerp Spotters group, is to see TUI with the E2 (with recent arrival at BRU of E2, and departure to LBG)...
Is an aircraft able to depart from Antwerp Airport, fly for five hours to Tel Aviv ? I doubt that!

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

5 hours minus 1 (cf random flight of El Al to BRU).
E2 series have more possibilities than E1 series and I'm sure that if they work like AB with CRL and HKG, then can find the middle between fuel and passengers. I'm convinced that the E2 can make this flight.

VLM_Antwerp

Post by VLM_Antwerp »

TLspotting wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 23:02 5 hours minus 1 (cf random flight of El Al to BRU).
E2 series have more possibilities than E1 series and I'm sure that if they work like AB with CRL and HKG, then can find the middle between fuel and passengers. I'm convinced that the E2 can make this flight.
Aircrafts such as the E2 or the A220 are perfectly capable of flying this route, but I doubt that this route will be operated by a European airline. If and only if this route would be flown in the future, the most likely airline to operate this is Arkia with its Embraer fleet. The EMB190 (E1) has a range that would allow this flight as well.

VLM_Antwerp

Post by VLM_Antwerp »

Does somebody heard any rumors on which airline would be most likely to operate the 5 new destination out of Antwerp, starting in April? Thx!

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

The question is rather whether the Embraer, E1 or E2, would be able to make it out of EBAW for a 5 hour flight whilst being commercially viable.
That’s something only people with flight planning software and a look at the yields can decipher.
Thomas

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

VLM_Antwerp wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 11:32 Does somebody heard any rumors on which airline would be most likely to operate the 5 new destination out of Antwerp, starting in April? Thx!
Might be Air Antwerp because I don't see "La Nova" start soon...

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

PttU wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 14:56 In short:
* Rumours about flights to Geneva, Zurich, Hamburg, Munich, Manchester and even Tel Aviv. No company mentioned or insinuated.
* Parking P2 will be expanded, old buildings will be broken down as Parking P3 will become a bus-garage for De Lijn.
* Antwerp Airport is profitable, but discussion whether fees for airport security should be included.
One thing is sure Antwerp Airport is not profitable for years now I think that none of the airports in Flanders are profitable( I'm not sure about that)and could not work without subsidies.

I think that last year more than 16 million went to all the airports in Flanders.
It should be smarter to strengthen the link to Brussels Airport and close down Antwerp airport in my opinion I also think that Deurne is to close to the city centre for more heavier traffic.

You could make a beautiful park out of this place for example!

But one thing should be taken in consideration are there enough airports or airfields for light and sport aviation?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

lumumba wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 23:52
One thing is sure Antwerp Airport is not profitable for years now I think that none of the airports in Flanders are profitable( I'm not sure about that)and could not work without subsidies.

I think that last year more than 16 million went to all the airports in Flanders.
It should be smarter to strengthen the link to Brussels Airport and close down Antwerp airport in my opinion I also think that Deurne is to close to the city centre for more heavier traffic.

But one thing should be taken in consideration are there enough airports or airfields for light and sport aviation?
As far as I know BRU is situated in Flanders. Hard to imagine they are not profitable.

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

If i remember well they already tried manchester and geneva (i think even a couple of times) in the past but was never a succes. Why bothering to try again??

PttU

Post by PttU »

If I remember well, they flew ANR-LCY in the past, and that company went bankrupt. Why try again?

Maybe because they have a better plan now?

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

They went bankrupt when they tried to launch other routes than ANR-LCY, and when the management of the LCY route was taken over. VLM operated the route under its own control for many years, with up to 5 flights per day.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

flightlover wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 00:18
lumumba wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 23:52

As far as I know BRU is situated in Flanders. Hard to imagine they are not profitable.
True you are right.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I guess that lumumba meant "airports managed by Flanders", as opposed to BRU, located in Flanders but considered as a national airport.
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

sn26567 wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 11:06 I guess that lumumba meant "airports managed by Flanders", as opposed to BRU, located in Flanders but considered as a national airport.
That's the case but nevertheless Brussels Airport is in Flanders.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

The local anti airport lobbygroup "Verlenging Nooit" has filed a criminal case against two civil servants and the airport management, for "voluntary violating the construction legislation".
https://www.gva.be/cnt/dmf20190912_0460 ... misdrijven

(president of Verlenging Nooit vzw is Theodoor Van Herck, a local company auditor (bedrijfsrevisor) with solid financial background. Thus no problem for the association to pay for excellent lawyers).

PttU

Post by PttU »

Regarding Tel Aviv, and some wikipedia'ing... BRU-TLV is 3255km, so expect about the same for ANR. ANR has a runway of 1510m. A Fokker 50 has a maximum range of 1700km (and it would take over 6 hours to fly there), so that's no option at all. But what are the options...

Good-old Avro's? CityJet has a few of them:
* RJ-85 requires 1390m of runway for take-off (dunno if it's at MTOW), range 3650km.
* RJ-100 3340km of range with 1535m of runway
After the 22/3-attacks on BRU, Their Avro's also flew from ANR. Does anyone remember where they flew to? What was the maximum distance they flew from ANR?

Embraers?
* ERJ145XR can reach 3700km, but needs 2070m of runway.
* Embraer E170: 3982km of range at 1644m of runway
* Embraer E175: 4074km, but a runway of 2244m needed for MTOW
* Embraer E190: 4537km, but a runway of 2100m needed for MTOW
* Embraer E195: 4260km with a runway of 2179m for MTOW
TUI is using E190 from ANR, but not for the full distance, so they don't need the full runway length: I guess Nador is their longest flight, with only 1901km about 2/3rd of the distance to Tel Aviv. Furthermore: TUI is built around its holiday packages, and I expect a more business-focus airline for these flights.
KLM has a fleet with ERJ 175 and 190's, so without a full load, that could be a "maybe"...
Arkia has a few of E190 and E195 as well.
The E2-generation is a better option:
* Embraer E175-E2: 3735km of range, required runway of 1800m for MTOW
* Embraer E190-E2: range 5280km, runway 1450m
* Embraer E195-E2: range 4800km, runway 1970m
KLM has ordered 35 of those E195-E2

Airbus A220's? Lufthansa/Swiss?
* Airbus A220-100: 6300km range, needs a runway of 1463m at MTOW
* Airbus A220-300: less interesting at 6200km of range but with a runway of 1890m needed.

So, yes: Arkia is an educated guess and one of the limited feasible options

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Nice research, PttU.
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Wasn't there at one time an intention/plan/dream for a "diamond express" Antwerp-TelAviv-Delhi? To be operated with SSJ-200, one of the rare types with sufficient range, yet able to use that shortish runway?