[Discussion] No direct flights anymore between Brussels and Miami

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sffl

[Discussion] No direct flights anymore between Brussels and Miami

Post by sffl »

With the discontinuation of TUI Airlines Belgium's service to Miami, no carrier exists to serve this route, which unfortunately means that BRU is one of the very few large European markets to not serve MIA. From MIA, you can fly to major European destinations (example: Paris, London, Amsterdam, Madrid, Frankfurt, Copenhagen, Lisbon, Milan, Rome, Warsaw,.....etc.) except for BRU.
Rumors had it that Air Belgium would start A340 service between CRL and MIA, but I don't see how this route would be profitable, not anymore profitable than a BRU-MIA route at least. A BRU-MIA route is probably the best way to go. I always thought that either AA or SN should try this route even if it is served seasonally.
I think this route should start anew, but this time, with a better schedule and with opportunities for pax to connect out of BRU and out of MIA. If not MIA, then at the very least FLL. One thing is for sure, BRU needs a direct link between Belgium and south Florida. Your thoughts?

Conti764

Re: BRU-MIA

Post by Conti764 »

TUI was flying it for its tourist business. Apart from that, I don't see much of a market between BRU and MIA since neither side would have a hub function. Even some establised European airlines flying there have seasonal flights (KL, SK, LH to MUC...)

The only major American Airline having a hub at MIA is AA and since losing its ties with SN, AA has completely left BRU so if they couldn't even make JFK or ORD work, why would MIA be succesful?

Accept for LHR, no European airport is among the 10 busiest routes from MIA. I'd say MIA is a major no go for SN.

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Re: [Discussion] no direct flights anymore between Brussels and Miami

Post by Ozzie1969 »

Oh great ! Now that I'm going to Miami next summer, this route ends.

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

MIA, you can fly to major European destinations (example: Paris, London, Amsterdam, Madrid, Frankfurt, Copenhagen, Lisbon, Milan, Rome, Warsaw,.....etc.) except for BRU.
There lots of French people living or visiting Florida, that why capacity between Paris and Miami is high.

Depending sources between 30 000 and 50 000 French live in Florida, while 500 000 French visit each year Florida. Link in French: https://courrierdefloride.com/implantation-dentreprise/

Corsair (3 weekly service with an A330), Air France (daily service with an A380) and American Airlines (daily service with a B777-200ER) operate a year round service. XL France, only a seasonal service. Norwegian operates a year round service to Fort Lauderdale, from Paris CDG. Air France also operated a short lived route CDG Orlando, early 2010s.

MIA with American Airlines has also a good network to Central and South America (the network is bigger than from Dallas). Good connections, from Paris to Central and South America via Miami.
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

I do not think BRU is in extraordinary health at the moment. Losing YYZ (I know AC will then replace), lose MIA or lose PVG ... is not trivial ... and no new acquisition particular ... bof bof bof ! I see the glass half empty, I know, but I do not see the glass half full!

brabel

Post by brabel »

nordikcam wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 17:34 I do not think BRU is in extraordinary health at the moment. Losing YYZ (I know AC will then replace), lose MIA or lose PVG ... is not trivial ... and no new acquisition particular ... bof bof bof ! I see the glass half empty, I know, but I do not see the glass half full!
Well, according to Atlantis, some more routes are gonna be added next summer season, one being SFO

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

nordikcam wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 17:34 I do not think BRU is in extraordinary health at the moment. Losing YYZ (I know AC will then replace), lose MIA or lose PVG ... is not trivial ... and no new acquisition particular ... bof bof bof ! I see the glass half empty, I know, but I do not see the glass half full!
PVG is not lost, it's going seasonal.

YYZ is coming back with AC (as you state yourself)

SFO is in the pipeline.

Only MIA is lost, but was a tourist destination served on a very low frequency.

ZavCity

Post by ZavCity »

PVG seasonal???I was trying to book for next summer, not possible!
gtz
paul

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Mia was for many years in the pipeline of AA with their B757. They requested many slots for it but never used it.

Orlando was a much better destination as many Flemish people bought a villa there after the financial crisis in 2008. Tui was offering those flights and for the cruises.

But those destinations never worked well ex-BRU. Even with the stopover in AMS was not a success.

BRU is more Cuba, Mexico and Dominican Republic oriented.

Mia is the only one which we lose.
YYZ still stays a very important destination for BRU. The reason for the gap was made by SN and AC together. SN has to prove it now by themself as they are a stand alone in LH. Planes will have the needed maintenance to give a great performance for YUL, IAD and the African destinations.

PVG is still a question but for now it will come back in 2020.

More routes to announce soon

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

Atlantis wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 21:16 Mia was for many years in the pipeline of AA with their B757. They requested many slots for it but never used it.

Orlando was a much better destination as many Flemish people bought a villa there after the financial crisis in 2008. Tui was offering those flights and for the cruises.

But those destinations never worked well ex-BRU. Even with the stopover in AMS was not a success.

YYZ still stays a very important destination for BRU. The reason for the gap was made by SN and AC together. SN has to prove it now by themself as they are a stand alone in LH. Planes will have the needed maintenance to give a great performance for YUL, IAD and the African destinations.

Thank you Atlantis, ;)

But still, there's no way a 757 could ever operate MIA-BRU-MIA... Maybe you meant 767.
Only AA could have a MIA-BRU worked out. MIA-MAD-MIA is also a AA/IB joint-venture stronghold. There is a lot of codeshare trafic through IB from BRU to MIA and vv.

On the side note, If I understand well, SN and AC will operate simultaneously on the YUL route for S20 ?

Thanks.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Darjeeling wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 10:42
Atlantis wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 21:16 Mia was for many years in the pipeline of AA with their B757. They requested many slots for it but never used it.

Thank you Atlantis, ;)

But still, there's no way a 757 could ever operate MIA-BRU-MIA... Maybe you meant 767.
Only AA could have a MIA-BRU worked out. MIA-MAD-MIA is also a AA/IB joint-venture stronghold. There is a lot of codeshare trafic through IB from BRU to MIA and vv.

On the side note, If I understand well, SN and AC will operate simultaneously on the YUL route for S20 ?

Thanks.
Hi Darjeeling,

SN and AC will operate indeed simultaneously on the YUL route. SN only seasonal, Summer season, and 5 times a week. As a matter of fact in the same period as Air Transat.
AC will do it year round and on top they will add YYZ also 5 times a week.
For the YUL route, AC belayed the departure time to 3PM to not be a on exact the same time as SN

Tigershroff

Re: [Discussion] No direct flights anymore between Brussels and Miami

Post by Tigershroff »

there is no direct flight between Brussels and Miami but still it will be started. most of the traveler are looking are looking for direct flight. So, government are taking steps to get it soon.

sffl

Re: [Discussion] No direct flights anymore between Brussels and Miami

Post by sffl »

Apparently, according to TUI Belgium's website, they are in fact going to fly between Brussels and Miami next year. The flight operates Tuesdays and Saturdays. Not sure when these flights take effect, but they appear to be for sale already on the tui.be website beginning April 2020.