BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

ezis_bis

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by ezis_bis »

rwandan-flyer wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 19:20 Asiana Airlines is currently financial crisis and has just started the sale process.
Not only that, but the Korean economy is facing multiple issues.
Japanese boycott (started with a Comfort Ladies ruling by a Korean court), DPRK always lurking around and recently some Chinese and Russian fighter jets crossing the airspace.

On the other hand, this does push Korea to find more friends further from home, and I think for BRU OZ makes more sense than KE.

We'll see how this works out, I cross my fingers (would be in my personal interest), but I agree with you there are some very good reasons why this won't happen.

Kzaant

Post by Kzaant »

ezis_bis wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 20:17
rwandan-flyer wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 19:20 Asiana Airlines is currently financial crisis and has just started the sale process.
We'll see how this works out, I cross my fingers (would be in my personal interest), but I agree with you there are some very good reasons why this won't happen.

From what I heard, the talks were already in a far stage. In Dutch we say, ‘A cat in the narrow makes strange jumps’. Also, I found this article back from 2017 in Dutch stating Asiana is considering Brussels: https://www.demorgen.be/nieuws/asiana-a ... ~b2e7e03d/

Someone any idea which routes to the US would be launched? And which airline?

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Kzaant wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 20:35
ezis_bis wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 20:17

From what I heard, the talks were already in a far stage. In Dutch we say, ‘A cat in the narrow makes strange jumps’. Also, I found this article back from 2017 in Dutch stating Asiana is considering Brussels: https://www.demorgen.be/nieuws/asiana-a ... ~b2e7e03d/

Someone any idea which routes to the US would be launched? And which airline?
Asiana would never return to Brussels where she flew, I think via Vienna, about fifteen years ago in my opinion ... at the same time as China Eastern. I hope they will come back in passengers since they come in freighter!

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Kzaant wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 22:52 I got some exciting news about 2020 but i’m not 100% sure since it’s viavia I heard it from someone who knows someone working for BAC. Apparently Brussels Airport is working hard behind the scenes to attract new airlines!
-we can welcome soon Asiana!
-Singapore Airlines interested in starting a route but no concrete plans yet
-two new US routes are in the making but I have no idea which destinations and which airline, maybe lax and boston?
-Some Russian airline is planning to start flights to Moscow
-biggest surprise: oman air interested in launching flights to BRU
-Qatar interested in raising frequency to BRU
-apparently Cathay is not doing too well on the BRU route and since they’re having financial difficulties they might cancel the route I’m thinking now :/
-no news on Brussels Airlines
-BAC is very interested in routes to Latin America, Kenya and South Africa, but no news on this.

Ok this was all I remember, hope enough food for speculation :p
Not only Qatar is interested in increasing the flights to BRU. In general the three ME carriers are doing very well. Emirates wants to start flying with their A380 to BRU if the new triple bridge is working fine. If not, a third daily flight is under consideration. But everything depends on the bilateral agreements.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Atlantis wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 23:33
Kzaant wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 22:52 I got some exciting news about 2020 but i’m not 100% sure since it’s viavia I heard it from someone who knows someone working for BAC. Apparently Brussels Airport is working hard behind the scenes to attract new airlines!
-two new US routes are in the making but I have no idea which destinations and which airline, maybe lax and boston?
-apparently Cathay is not doing too well on the BRU route and since they’re having financial difficulties they might cancel the route I’m thinking now :/
-BAC is very interested in routes to Latin America, Kenya and South Africa, but no news on this.

Not only Qatar is interested in increasing the flights to BRU. In general the three ME carriers are doing very well. Emirates wants to start flying with their A380 to BRU if the new triple bridge is working fine. If not, a third daily flight is under consideration. But everything depends on the bilateral agreements.
as they come with T7 at the moment they can only test 2 bridges. They seem to be working just fine.

travellover

Post by travellover »

flightlover wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 01:18
Atlantis wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 23:33
Emirates wants to start flying with their A380 to BRU if the new triple bridge is working fine. If not, a third daily flight is under consideration. But everything depends on the bilateral agreements.
as they come with T7 at the moment they can only test 2 bridges. They seem to be working just fine.
https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brus ... rbus-a380/

Test flight gave full satisfaction if I'm correct.

More details on the triple bridge :

Type A380 PBB Model BS-D This Passenger Boarding Bridge (PBB) is manufactured by the Chinese firm Shenzhen CIMC Tianda Airport Support. The firm has been active since 1990 in the manufacture of airport equipment and ground services including PBB which it equips almost all Chinese airports. Nearly 4000 PBBs of all types are in service or on order at more than 200 airports in 60 countries and Paris - CDG airport was the first in Europe equipped with a Chinese bridge designed for the A380.
Stretchable length from 19 to 37.5 m and height of 24 m; an empty weight of 37100 kg and able to support a load of 19800 kg the bridge consists of three bridges, two of which serve main floor main deck of the A380 and the third is positioned on the passenger door U1 of the upper floor of the aircraft. Various technological and technical refinements allow a fast and precise implementation of the whole. Air conditioning, large bay windows and appropriate lighting contribute to passenger comfort.

From a console installed in the cabin and according to the different types of aircraft to serve, the control system can be programmed in 24 modes for fully automatic operation. By simply pressing on the LCD screen of the console the operator of the PBB selects the type of aircraft: the bridge adjusts its position such that its cabin height and the angle of rotation of the bridges so that they can adapt to the height of the plane whatever its load. the operator of the PBB can however manually control all the movements in direction and speed of the latter by means of a joystick while buttons to adjust the height and rotation of the cabin and the extension / contraction of the bridges and the return to the car park position. On the screen of the console are also displayed all the parameters in height and rotation of the system while a camera installed under the ramp makes it possible to visualize the movements on the ground.

Source :
https://www.flying-zone.be/reportages/2 ... erelle.php
Cheers

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Will the B-pier be equiped with double loadbridges as well or will they replace 1 on 1 with just new bridges?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 21:21 Will the B-pier be equiped with double loadbridges as well or will they replace 1 on 1 with just new bridges?
Hi Conti764,

In 2017 the Board decided to replace all 24 boarding and de boarding bridges at pier B. The total investment at that time was around 52 million euro.

This to meet the demands of the customers, PAX and airlines. They are All central in our vision as airport. They are on the first place.

The old bridges were dated from 1992. The new state-of-the-art bridges will be all equipped with airco and large windows.

So in total 24 bridges will be replaced. Two thirds of the bridges will be dual bridges to speed up boarding and de boarding. This for A330, A350 and B777, B787.
One triple boarding bridge is already constructed at gate 31 and 33.

Due to the use of pier B, this project will be done in phases and will be completed in 2022

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Atlantis wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 22:31
Conti764 wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 21:21 Will the B-pier be equiped with double loadbridges as well or will they replace 1 on 1 with just new bridges?
Hi Conti764,

In 2017 the Board decided to replace all 24 boarding and de boarding bridges at pier B. The total investment at that time was around 52 million euro.

This to meet the demands of the customers, PAX and airlines. They are All central in our vision as airport. They are on the first place.

The old bridges were dated from 1992. The new state-of-the-art bridges will be all equipped with airco and large windows.

So in total 24 bridges will be replaced. Two thirds of the bridges will be dual bridges to speed up boarding and de boarding. This for A330, A350 and B777, B787.
One triple boarding bridge is already constructed at gate 31 and 33.

Due to the use of pier B, this project will be done in phases and will be completed in 2022
Thanks for the info! ;)

travellover

Post by travellover »

I have made more specific researches about the B31 - B33 triple gate at BRU. Informations collected from last year but interesting. Learning about an issue.

As a reminder, the whole infrastructure has cost a 6 millions € budget. A confirmed chinese technology used wordwide and for the first time at CDG from 2005 to welcome the first A380's.

'' Unfortunately, this first test was not without problems. The first bridge was connected to the lower deck without any problems, but the placement of the second (also lower deck) and third bridge (upper deck) was more difficult. As a result it was only possible to disembark on arrival via the first bridge and the other two bridges were unusable. The problem with the bridge for the upper deck is that it did not touch the device. This left a small gap between the bridge and the plane. "

Almost 16 months after EK183 and EK184 Airbus A380 revenue test flight, is the issue fixed ?
A BRU, I noticed that widebodies are of course using the B31 - B33 infrastructure, for instance I saw a QR Triple Seven, but I didn't pay attention if she was using one or two lower bridges.

Sources :

https://bx1.be/news/brussels-airport-in ... eneration/

https://www.hangarflying.eu/fr/2018/05/ ... s-airport/

https://flightlevel.be/56708/brussels-a ... ng-bridge/
Cheers

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

travellover wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 11:18 I have made more specific researches about the B31 - B33 triple gate at BRU. Informations collected from last year but interesting. Learning about an issue.

As a reminder, the whole infrastructure has cost a 6 millions € budget. A confirmed chinese technology used wordwide and for the first time at CDG from 2005 to welcome the first A380's.

'' Unfortunately, this first test was not without problems. The first bridge was connected to the lower deck without any problems, but the placement of the second (also lower deck) and third bridge (upper deck) was more difficult. As a result it was only possible to disembark on arrival via the first bridge and the other two bridges were unusable. The problem with the bridge for the upper deck is that it did not touch the device. This left a small gap between the bridge and the plane. "

Almost 16 months after EK183 and EK184 Airbus A380 revenue test flight, is the issue fixed ?
A BRU, I noticed that widebodies are of course using the B31 - B33 infrastructure, for instance I saw a QR Triple Seven, but I didn't pay attention if she was using one or two lower bridges.

Sources :

They do use the second bridge on a daily basis these days.
The third is only suited for A380, so its a gamble to say that the issue is solved by now.

travellover

Post by travellover »

flightlover wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 13:00
travellover wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 11:18 I have made more specific researches about the B31 - B33 triple gate at BRU. Informations collected from last year but interesting. Learning about an issue.

As a reminder, the whole infrastructure has costed a 6 millions € budget. A confirmed chinese technology used wordwide and for the first time at CDG from 2005 to welcome the first A380's.

Sources :

They do use the second bridge on a daily basis these days.
The third is only suited for A380, so its a gamble to say that the issue is solved by now.
Thanks flightlover.

I wonder what occured to the upper deck bridge. Other ''A380" equiped airports met no issues.
Let us hope that this malfunction can be fixed soon ! :roll:
Last edited by travellover on 12 Aug 2019, 23:51, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Asiana and SIA topics already talked about.

One of the 2 new routes might be Los Angeles, operated by Brussels Airlines (only rumor).

Last year, Red Wings Airlines wanted to launch flights using A223 from LED and not Moscow. However plans were given up it seems, due to a non-agreement between lessor and airline.

Oman Air would be interesting, using 788.

Qatar interested, but the most probable thing is to change the frequency from 8 to 14 weekly.

Cathay strategy is not the best I know. Cathay Pacific, Dragon and now HKexpress. 3 airlines under same Corp, if I was the boss, I would have already merged the 3 airlines and totally reorganised the network.

LATAM and Avianca Cargo are only steps forward commercial passengers lines I think... But for how long, that's a good question.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

PttU

Post by PttU »

TLspotting wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 15:22 One of the 2 new routes might be Los Angeles, operated by Brussels Airlines (only rumor).
I thought I remembered reading (here?) BRU-LAX was too far for SN, but on the other hand, I can see A330 flights from LAX to AMS, MAD,... So it should be possible?

lucas

Post by lucas »

PttU wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 16:00
TLspotting wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 15:22 One of the 2 new routes might be Los Angeles, operated by Brussels Airlines (only rumor).
I thought I remembered reading (here?) BRU-LAX was too far for SN, but on the other hand, I can see A330 flights from LAX to AMS, MAD,... So it should be possible?
I believe the old A330's couldn't make it that far. But from a certain MSN, there is an extended range, thus the newer birds might be able to fly towards LAX.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

The current aircraft, even the newer are not suitable for such long flight. For those flight a proper rest area (a bunk) is needed for the rest of the crew. The current configuration is then not suitable. Bunk should be installed in the cargo area with an access from the cabin. If not, no longer flight are possible.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Atlantis wrote: 20 May 2019, 19:00 With less competition on the market, exit Jet Airways, it would be good if AC could consider to open a new Canadian destination ex-BRU. Vancouver was/is already for a long time on the wish list. Even it is very expensive and to get a job there, you really need to have the good "joker card", it is still a destination that a lot of people would like to go, business, leisure and family traffic.

Montreal and Toronto are both served by AC and SN. With Jet Airways no flights from AMS to Canada, it would be an opportunity for Star to offer a bit more choice in Canada. AC could be a feeder for SN/EW to bring them further in Europe and Africa and vs>
Vancouver before San Francisco and Los Angeles seems unlikely. The latter have much more O&D to Europe (shown by the 12+ flights to continental Europe vs only 5 for Vancouver) and there are no special ties to Belgium or Africa either.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

United announcement, nothing for us for W19-20 nor S20.

Air Belgium might be considering flights from Brussels Airport, according to Pagtour.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

crew1990 wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 00:06 The current aircraft, even the newer are not suitable for such long flight. For those flight a proper rest area (a bunk) is needed for the rest of the crew. The current configuration is then not suitable. Bunk should be installed in the cargo area with an access from the cabin. If not, no longer flight are possible.
From who comes this requirement please? Is it company or rather international legislation which sound more logical? Thank you.

PttU

Post by PttU »

HQ_BRU_Lover wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 12:05
crew1990 wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 00:06 The current aircraft, even the newer are not suitable for such long flight. For those flight a proper rest area (a bunk) is needed for the rest of the crew. The current configuration is then not suitable. Bunk should be installed in the cargo area with an access from the cabin. If not, no longer flight are possible.
From who comes this requirement please? Is it company or rather international legislation which sound more logical? Thank you.
And why shouldn't a (business class) seat be enough?