Air Belgium in 2019

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

TLspotting

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by TLspotting »

Air Belgium to operate 2 flights for Air Madagascar on 7 and 8 August 2019.

Paris CDG - Antananarivo

MD051 CDG - TNR 15:10 - 02:55+1 A343 OOABB 07/08/2019

MD050 TNR - CDG 20:50 - 07:05+1 A343 OOABB 08/08/2019

Thanks to "Aéroport Paris - Charles de Gaulle" Facebook Group.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

SR20

Post by SR20 »

"Eight days after the opening of reservations on the Caribbean, 20% of flights are already filled," says Niky Terzakis, the CEO of Air Belgium, who is sure that his company is filling a gap.

https://www.lecho.be/entreprises/aviati ... 51530.html

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Air Madagascar schedule delayed : MD051 CDG - TNR 21:20 - 09:05+1 A343 07/08/2019

MD050 TNR - CDG 23:35 - 09:50+1 A343 08/08/2019
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Shocking statement from CEO NT in some newspapers, as reported in an article on the homepage today:
"...The problems were compounded by the opening of the Brussels – Hong Kong route by Cathay Pacific. Terzakis regrets that Brussels Airport welcomed Cathay, a direct competitor, with open arms instead of favouring national companies...."
https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air- ... he-future/
This is untrue, and it's an insult towards Brussels Airport:

1. Air Belgium was also wellcome at Brussels Airport. But for socio-political reasons, Air Belgium preferred CRL.

2. Brussels Airport has done nothing unusual (let alone something illegal) to favourite Cathay. Cathay received the same incentives that every new airline gets when they open new routes at BRU. These incentives are public/published. If Air Belgium starts flying from BRU tomorrow, the red carpet will be rolled out for them too.

3. Air Belgium has lost the commercial battle against Cathay not because of BRU favouring Cathay, but because of the very late delivery of Air Belgiums' AOC. If/when AB would have received its AOC end of 2016, as they hoped, they had one year advantage on Cathay. Reminder of the time lapse: Air Belgium’s first announcement was in August 2016, with this remark on their Linkedin page: “to commence revenu operations to Hong Kong later this year”. Cathay's first announcement was in August 2017, via a press release “first flight to Brussels on 25 March 2018”.

ZavCity

Post by ZavCity »

Completely true..Everyone knows the Wallon gvt is involved, so they wanted CRL as a base !
gtz
paul

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Exactly. This is very very low of him to state this publicly. They had the choice and they choose CRL bcs of the money and Walloon government being involved but they had to take also all disadvantage like a short runway. So instead of playing the victim and blaming others, look first at your own decisions

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

As long as Air Belgium choses to fly from CRL, I don't see a bright future for them. Air Belgium seems more like a political project than a proper airline. Too bad.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Boavida wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 14:20 As long as Air Belgium choses to fly from CRL, I don't see a bright future for them. Air Belgium seems more like a political project than a proper airline. Too bad.
They needed a reason to extend the runway, don't think anyone else was candidate to play such a role.

Stij

Post by Stij »

flightlover wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 01:29 They needed a reason to extend the runway, don't think anyone else was candidate to play such a role.
Sometime I think the airport is there to give work to the local general contractors...

Cheers,

Stij

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

Passenger wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 22:05 Shocking statement from CEO NT in some newspapers, as reported in an article on the homepage today:
"...The problems were compounded by the opening of the Brussels – Hong Kong route by Cathay Pacific. Terzakis regrets that Brussels Airport welcomed Cathay, a direct competitor, with open arms instead of favouring national companies...."
https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air- ... he-future/
This is untrue, and it's an insult towards Brussels Airport:

1.[/i]
I do not see any insult here.
Do you have a problem with freedom of speech?? and freedom of Opinion ?

The CEO gives his comments and opinions.
He is a businessman, so he has probably taken all aspects in account.
Including prices to operate to/from BRU.
AB made a decision . CRL won. BRU lost a customer.

CRL is not a very comfortable airport, quite messy indeed. Chaotic even.
But they go for low cost. CRL's success and continuous growth shows their formula works.

Of course, you can be sure, there will be new long haul destinations from CRL.
That is because Wallonia has an Aviation Policy.

AB is first, but other long haul airlines, and destibations will follow.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

I do have a problem with lies and with liars.

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 11:29 I do have a problem with lies and with liars.
? who ?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Airbus330lover wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 11:43
jan_olieslagers wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 11:29 I do have a problem with lies and with liars.
? who ?
Terzakis.

ZavCity

Post by ZavCity »

Same here, there is nothing wrong with freedom of speech..But this does not include telling lies..Air belgium was NOT denied access to BRU by BIAC..so they do not have to tell in a press statement they were not wanted in BRU!
amen
gtz
paul

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Perhaps only a misunderstanding..... And who knows. Perhaps only searching Cathay, with undiscolsed clausules too.
Common in business

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Short reply : CRL can be very chaotic...long ques, too narrow ,too small hall ways, shortage of seats.... Gates 1-10 with the stairs,. Deboarding from the new terminal...
This is realistic...
You can say,I say CRL is chaotic...nothing wrong to say that... But I take some cheap fares from CRL... But if not I Prefer BRU-EIN and DUS by far even AMS ;)
Btw more expensive parkings also and bad connected by trainde.. ! And that damn white tent for all that years now..

CXB
Last edited by cathay belgium on 11 Aug 2019, 12:42, edited 3 times in total.
New types flown 2022.. A339

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Airbus330lover wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 11:53 Perhaps only a misunderstanding..... And who knows. Perhaps only searching Cathay, with undisclosed clausules too.
Common in business
This is the incentive program at/from Brussels Airport for 01/04/2016 till 31/03/2021:
EN:
https://www.brusselsairport.be/en/aviat ... ve-program
NL:
https://www.brusselsairport.be/nl/aviat ... ve-program
FR:
https://www.brusselsairport.be/fr/aviat ... ve-program

It is very very unlikely that Brussels Airport has done something special for Cathay on top of that. That would make them (= BRU) vulnerable if, for whatever reason, the relationship with CX ends. It's illegal too, because it's unfair competition. And specially at large firms like BRU and CX, it's impossible to keep things secret: there is allways the risk that someone leaves the company and joins a competitor.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

cathay belgium wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 12:40 Hi,

Short reply : CRL can be very chaotic...long ques, too narrow ,too small hall ways, shortage of seats.... Gates 1-10 with the stairs,. Deboarding from the new terminal...
This is realistic...
You can say,I say CRL is chaotic...nothing wrong to say that... But I take some cheap fares from CRL... But if not I Prefer BRU-EIN and DUS by far even AMS ;)
Btw more expensive parkings also and bad connected by trainde.. ! And that damn white tent for all that years now..

CXB
That is indeed what I mean.
It would be easy to organize things in a better and logical, pleasant way.

The TENT is a real joke. Or a pain in the .. if you want.
PAX have to make a big tour to go thru it.
The TENT is useless and even polce men & security personnel inside are ashamed.

The TENT is only there because the local Police Officer in charge wants it that way.
Too many little BARONS, also in the Police organization.
Serious Belgian disease.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

Airbus330lover wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 11:53 Perhaps only a misunderstanding..... And who knows. Perhaps only searching Cathay, with undiscolsed clausules too.
Common in business
Indeed. Hidden favours ("don't tell anybody !!") are quite usual in Business.

I would personnaly have preferred AB at BRU.

Let us not call Mr. Terzakis is liar unless this can be proved.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

...The problems were compounded by the opening of the Brussels – Hong Kong route by Cathay Pacific. Terzakis regrets that Brussels Airport welcomed Cathay, a direct competitor, with open arms instead of favouring national companies...."
I leave it to him to offer proof that CX were offered better terms than himself could have obtained. Or what else does the "with open arms" stand for? Were their arms less open for Air Belgium?

Or, wait, is he only complaining that he did not get anything better than the Chinese? In that case I must admit the word "lie" is all too heavy. But how realistic was that to expect?