Eurowings in 2019

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

luchtzak

Re: Eurowings in 2019

Post by luchtzak »

An interesting thought by Luk De Wilde on Twitter: Selling Eurowings to Ryanair, which has yet to set foot in Germany ?

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Little as I know about commercial air transport, didn't I always understand that the LH group kept EW up mainly for keeping the low-costers out of Germany? Even if it generates little (if any) profit? Would Mr. De Wilde be so privileged as to know first-hand of such a radical change of policy?

convair

Post by convair »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 15:21 Little as I know about commercial air transport, didn't I always understand that the LH group kept EW up mainly for keeping the low-costers out of Germany? Even if it generates little (if any) profit? Would Mr. De Wilde be so privileged as to know first-hand of such a radical change of policy?
Maybe not, but it's obviously a good question to ask following the re-positioning and announced clean-up of EW.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

I really cannot understand how CEO's like Spohr, Brito, Ghosn and many many others can get away with the enormous blunders and bad decisions .

They waste billion of Euros and still can keep their position for a long time.

When they are finally are kicked out for poor or even disastrous management , they get a go;lden parachute and after some time come back in another company, another business.

I have known a few CEO's of smaller companies recently and can only conclude they are complete ZZERO's.

I hope that the Ghosn case ( Renault CEO in jail in Japan for months now, for stealing millions from his company) will lead to more arrests of this incompetent and arrogant kind of people.

LUFTHANSA and EUROWINGS are heading for a HOT Summer with many strikes and cancellations, mostly due to Spohrs arrogance and mismanagement.

pitrixplanespotting

Post by pitrixplanespotting »

luchtzak wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 15:01 An interesting thought by Luk De Wilde on Twitter: Selling Eurowings to Ryanair, which has yet to set foot in Germany ?
That might be, but isn't the number 1 goal for any efficient low-cost to operate a single aircraft family? Eurowings operates them all :lol:
I'm not to confident Ryanair wants to buy Eurowings, even for free...

C96C

Post by C96C »

Alert: bad joke incoming!

Eurowings, where every euro gets wings and never comes back...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

pitrixplanespotting wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 09:13
luchtzak wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 15:01 An interesting thought by Luk De Wilde on Twitter: Selling Eurowings to Ryanair, which has yet to set foot in Germany ?
That might be, but isn't the number 1 goal for any efficient low-cost to operate a single aircraft family? Eurowings operates them all :lol:
I'm not to confident Ryanair wants to buy Eurowings, even for free...
Eurowings will get rid of subsidiary LGW and its Q400s. The aim is to have only A320(neo) aircraft.
André
ex Sabena #26567

evyncke

Post by evyncke »

Boeing767copilot wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 10:47 LUFTHANSA announces a re-orientation of Brussels Airlines: closer alignment with Network Airlines; integration into Eurowings will not be further pursued.

The best news ever. :D
This is also my reading as a frequent SN traveller and as a friend of pilots/stewards

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

I think Luk has been in the sun far too long!
LH selling to Mol? Over their dead body!
On the other hand I wouldn’t be surprised at all by a close cooperation between Eurowings and the European branch of easyJet. You read it here first!!
Last edited by Poiu on 29 Jun 2019, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

A paywall article on ch-aviation, potential closures of non-core EW bases.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... core-bases

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Eurowings to phase out its oldest nine A320s in 2019, and start returning wet-leased DHC8s, with all turboprops on wet-lease exiting by early 2021, as four A320neos are phased in 2021 and 16 in 2022.

Who said the new aircraft were only for profit-making subsidiaries?
André
ex Sabena #26567

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Eurowings flies North-Rhine Westphalia into the summer holidays from Düsselforf and Cologne/Bonn airports

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... -airports/
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Eurowings to launch Pristina – Vienna route from 02 November 2019, with A319 based in Pristina.
André
ex Sabena #26567

JustPlanes

Post by JustPlanes »

I read on the main page of this website... HUGE LOSS AT EUROWINGS...
But lets let SN fly their A330s for Eurowings and open every possible route at Eurowings instead of maybe having a couple of those A330s open new routes out of Brussels where there is potential and very little competition....
Lufthansa said you need to make money before we expand and get more planes.... and yet Eurowings is the biggest loser of them all and they keep on putting all their eggs in that basket...

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

If I understand correctly, all EW long-haul traffic will leave in summer 2020 from MUC and FRA to the world .. operated by Sun Express and it will only remain in DUS New York and perhaps another destination operated by SN?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Carsten Spohr declared last month that Eurowings will phase out all long-haul flights and concentrate on short-haul point-to-point. But not later than today, Lufthansa issues a press release saying that they are strengthening Eurowings long-haul operations this summer and next winter. Where is the coherence? Hello, Carsten Spohr?

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... ment-67501
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sn26567 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 14:08 Carsten Spohr declared last month that Eurowings will phase out all long-haul flights and concentrate on short-haul point-to-point. But not later than today, Lufthansa issues a press release saying that they are strengthening Eurowings long-haul operations this summer and next winter. Where is the coherence? Hello, Carsten Spohr?

I just got a response from Lufthansa:

"There will be Eurowings long-haul flights in future - the current reorientation concerns only the internal organisation and commercial responsibility of their long-haul flights. It will be transferred to the Lufthansa Group’s network management."

This is not what I understood from the recent press conference of Carsten Spohr: he said that the long-haul flights of Eurowings would be transferred to the network airlines, but he did not say they would survive as Eurowings flights.

Does somebody have more information?
André
ex Sabena #26567

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

It sounds like they want to save face more than anything. Apparently, Eurowings should continue long haul as a brand, but not fly the routes - whatever that means (seems like what SN/Sunexpress do today). But also from FRA and MUC?! My gut feeling is that there are rumblings in the HQ of LH group. Some want an IAG type structure? Without coming from the top? Something smells fishy if you start digging a little more.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sn26567 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 14:16
sn26567 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 14:08 Carsten Spohr declared last month that Eurowings will phase out all long-haul flights and concentrate on short-haul point-to-point. But not later than today, Lufthansa issues a press release saying that they are strengthening Eurowings long-haul operations this summer and next winter. Where is the coherence? Hello, Carsten Spohr?
I just got a response from Lufthansa:

"There will be Eurowings long-haul flights in future - the current reorientation concerns only the internal organisation and commercial responsibility of their long-haul flights. It will be transferred to the Lufthansa Group’s network management."

This is not what I understood from the recent press conference of Carsten Spohr: he said that the long-haul flights of Eurowings would be transferred to the network airlines, but he did not say they would survive as Eurowings flights.
When Carsten Spohr announced the Eurowings reshuffle, the unbiased German travel & aviation newssite FVW wrote this about Eurowings' long haul flights: "...Carsten Spohr explained that Lufthansa will take over commercial management of Eurowings’ long-haul operations. The subsidiary will continue to operate these flights as it has a lower cost base, but the parent company will be responsible for sales and marketing, as well as network planning..."
https://www.fvw.de/international/travelnews/

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

theeuropean wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 14:28 It sounds like they want to save face more than anything. Apparently, Eurowings should continue long haul as a brand, but not fly the routes - whatever that means (seems like what SN/Sunexpress do today). But also from FRA and MUC?! My gut feeling is that there are rumblings in the HQ of LH group. Some want an IAG type structure? Without coming from the top? Something smells fishy if you start digging a little more.
I share your idea of ​​the LH board's internal differences about what to do with all these companies ... we'll see what's coming out of it and this is a taste of it. Let's keep our fingers crossed for SN ... Maybe another round will be given to CS's decisions.
To return to the article by Bart Noëth, we can conclude that all long-distance traffic from EW will be provided under EW code from FRA and MUC (Detroit, Anchorage, Seattle, Las Vegas, Orlando, Windhoek, Bangkok) but performed by Sun Express while DUS will keep only a few lines to New York and the Caribbean insured by SN?