Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Atlantis » 23 Jul 2019, 21:43

jan_olieslagers wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 21:22
What has government to do with the BAC architecture? It is a private venture, isn't it?

And, as I've stated before, keep a clear distinction between short term and long term. Long term, your ideas may well be fine, though I wonder who is going to pay for them. Not the Belgian government, so much is clear - they're already short of money, actually very short.

But there is a more urgent problem on the short term, if I understand things all right.
Hi Jan,

I think that my first sentence was very clear:

"Regarding the E-Gates -> under the umbrella of the government" I was not writing anything about government and BAC architecture. Both has nothing to do with each other.

What I refer about is that the whole huge area has to be refurbished too, to make it modern, wider and efficient (which is under the umbrella of BAC) and to place it full with E-Gates (which is for the government)

Yes I know that the government is lack with money, around 7 billion euro. but you have to invest first to have a good return too.
Off topic, the Belgian industry starts to complain too that there is still no government, bcs they need also security and funds and a lot of other stuff.

I think you understand better now what I mean?

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers » 23 Jul 2019, 21:50

It does not matter whether I understand you. You should understand that no money is to be expected from the federal government. Certainly not for new architecture (but neither will the shareholders pass one penny more than absolutely totally unavoidably necessary) but neither for border control. Not today and not tomorrow. No use to state "they should" - they won't. Especially because no degree of investment will bring a profit, at least not first-hand short-term. And, as has been stated before, politics has ceased to consider long-term altogether - regrette qui veult.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 » 23 Jul 2019, 22:24

Who invested in the new area for customs in the arrivals area? The airport, or the PFS Finances in charge of Customs and Excise (if it hasn't any money to do it)?
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers » 23 Jul 2019, 22:29

Ah, the FodFin might well see a short-term return on investment, yes, I am quite willing to believe that. Quite a lot of nice valuable stuff to be seized. And well done on them, brave bravi! But that is customs & excise, indeed, not border control.

lumumba

Post by lumumba » 26 Jul 2019, 10:11

What I saw this morning at the airport is completely outrageous at the customs there were 4 policeman plus the machines for the European passports....and for foreign passports there were only two policeman,there was a line of at least of an hour and a half for them.
I crossed the border in less than 5 minutes....how is this possible I can not understand that!!!!!!!
Last edited by lumumba on 26 Jul 2019, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 » 26 Jul 2019, 15:56

Sadly enough it's not that abnormal, especially flights arrive here in peaks and even then, a flight that is 15 min early and one that is 15min late can cause a sudden pax flow. Waiting times at border control CAN be high in any part of the world and I have waited +1hr in several other 'civilized' countries as well...

lumumba

Post by lumumba » 26 Jul 2019, 19:00

Sabena320 wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 15:56
Sadly enough it's not that abnormal, especially flights arrive here in peaks and even then, a flight that is 15 min early and one that is 15min late can cause a sudden pax flow. Waiting times at border control CAN be high in any part of the world and I have waited +1hr in several other 'civilized' countries as well...
That's one thing but 4 policeman plus the 8 machines compare to two policeman!
That's 12 to 2 that's not ok!!!!

Passenger

Post by Passenger » 26 Jul 2019, 19:10

lumumba wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 10:11
What I saw this morning at the airport is completely outrageous at the customs there were 4 policeman plus the machines for the European passports....and for foreign passports there were only two policeman,there was a line of at least of an hour and a half for them.
I crossed the border in less than 5 minutes....how is this possible I can not understand that!!!!!!!
Gives your previous hateful posts about/against Brussels Airlines and/or against Brussels Airport, I don't believe you.

lumumba

Post by lumumba » 26 Jul 2019, 19:32

Passenger wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 19:10
lumumba wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 10:11
Gives your previous hateful posts about/against Brussels Airlines and/or against Brussels Airport, I don't believe you.
About Brussels Airlines I don't want to start it again I said enough....
About this morning it's 100% true but Passanger you have to understand I fly Star alliance close to 200.000 miles every year and I love Brussels Airport and Brussels Airlines but what is the problem to express my opinion?
I want them to be better and when something is wrong I say it punt!
And what happened this morning was very wrong.

Stij

Post by Stij » 29 Jul 2019, 09:34

luchtzak wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 15:02
sn26567 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 22:53
Passenger wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 22:31
- Scanning baggage system / Système de scanning de bagages;
For this one, did they select the cheapest, or the most reliable contractor?
Brussels Airport apologizes after luggage system mishap and offers €50 vouchers to affected passengers

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brus ... assengers/
A very late reaction as I was on holidays...

A much appreciated gesture form Brussels Airport. A sign they can take responsibility for their imperfections...
Well done...

Cheers,

Stij

Stij

Post by Stij » 29 Jul 2019, 09:43

sn26567 wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 16:19
Homo Aeroportus wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 15:20
Meanwhile in Duesseldorf ....

17JUL

DUS Luggage Hall.jpg

See : https://www.thelocal.de/20190717/chaos- ... -breakdown

Say what you want but these Germans are damn good when it comes to organize a chaos.
;)

Don't know if the PAX will get the 50 EUR vouchers though.

H.A.
Ha ha! And some Belgians swear they will never fly from Brussels because Düsseldorf is so much better! :mrgreen:
Also a bit late...

I feel these posts are a bit written for me...

I didn't even mention it on this forum when the infamous belt broke down the first time. Sh*t happens.... Unfortunately... everywhere... In Brussels... Düsseldorf... Amsterdam... I only started really complaining on this forum when the Brussels system broke down for the 3rd time in 3 months. There's a difference... See also my previous post.

Cheers,

Stij

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus » 29 Jul 2019, 10:17

And in an attempt to keep information balanced allow me to repeat my previous post :
Homo Aeroportus wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 14:07

Oh, by the way, I almost forgot to mention it :
https://www.airport-technology.com/news ... ng-system/

Vanderlande has received a contract to upgrade the baggage handling system at Brussels Airport in Belgium.
The contract is a part of a 20-year framework agreement signed between Vanderlande and Brussels Airport Company (BAC) in March 2019.
Upgrades will allow the airport to cater to its future requirements. The airport expects the annual passenger traffic to grow from the present 25 million to 40 million within the next 25 years.

H.A.
OK maybe it could/should have been done earlier, but let's recognize that efforts are made to correct these unacceptable breakdowns.
Vanderlande is a world leader in baggage handling system; not really the cheapest.

H.A.

Stij

Post by Stij » 29 Jul 2019, 10:31

Homo Aeroportus wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 10:17
OK maybe it could/should have been done earlier, but let's recognize that efforts are made to correct these unacceptable breakdowns.
I can only agree...

Stij

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers » 29 Jul 2019, 11:02

Perhaps a typically Belgian approach: push every problem before you for just as long as you can ever manage...
But in this respect, too, other countries and companies might be not much better.
We should be content that, as reported, improvements are to be implemented by a company of solid reputation.

Kris

Post by Kris » 03 Aug 2019, 08:05

Well, the story continues. Another, or the same, technical problem with the luggage belt system today... it’s really becoming a bit too much now.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak » 03 Aug 2019, 08:22

Kris wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 08:05
Well, the story continues. Another, or the same, technical problem with the luggage belt system today... it’s really becoming a bit too much now.
30 flights left without luggage, delays expected from 09:00 (UTC +2)

Report: https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brus ... ge-system/

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak » 03 Aug 2019, 09:35

UPDATE : Our teams have resolved the issue and the bagage system is now being rebooted. We expect normal operations to be possible around noon.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers » 03 Aug 2019, 09:44

If they mention "rebooted", that sounds like it is an issue with a computer/server. May I suspect it is a "W_nd_ws" server?

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak » 03 Aug 2019, 10:18

jan_olieslagers wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 09:44
If they mention "rebooted", that sounds like it is an issue with a computer/server. May I suspect it is a "W_nd_ws" server?

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak » 03 Aug 2019, 10:21

Brussels Airport successfully rebooted conveyor belt pc (and printer).