Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by sn26567 » 14 Jul 2019, 22:53

Passenger wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 22:31
- Scanning baggage system / Système de scanning de bagages;
For this one, did they select the cheapest, or the most reliable contractor?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger » 14 Jul 2019, 23:34

sn26567 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 22:53
Passenger wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 22:31
- Scanning baggage system / Système de scanning de bagages;
For this one, did they select the cheapest, or the most reliable contractor?
With the knowledge that a failure would result in huge claims from airlines and/or passengers, I don't think they have chosen the cheapest one.

PttU

Post by PttU » 15 Jul 2019, 16:17

Atlantis wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 20:55
Thank you Passenger for your explanation. I knew that I could count on you on that.

@Stij,
If you book a holiday, flight ticket or what ever, they always ask you if you want to buy this extra travel insurance. So this is not new but already for decades. So why it is now such a surprise and why it has to do with waving away they responsibility? This is to protect you.
When I buy a flight ticket, I also get asked to rent a car and make a hotel reservation. Does that mean I should rent a car in case the bus I would take goes on strike, or make a hotel reservation in case my backpack containing my tent doesn't arrive? No, those are just related options, related to the flight, but optional for the traveller. And really: they're not offered as a service, they're offered as the vendor of the ticket gets a percentage on the revenue, and the fact that someone who buys a ticket might be interesting in insurance, a rental car or a hotel makes it relevant, but that's not the main reason. If they wouldn't get a percentage on the sale, or worse: if they had to pay a small fee, those options would be gone very quick, passenger-oriented service or not...
So travel insurance should be optional, and if your baggage gets delayed you should get a compensation, whether or not you have opted for a travel insurance in the booking process. That's only fair and a sign of true customer-focus.

Stij

Post by Stij » 16 Jul 2019, 09:47

Off topic, but an update, my folks got their bags... with a delay of 2,5 days and a distaste for SN and BRU...

I know SN isn’t at fault here... but try to explain that to 2 70+ people...

Stij

Stij

Post by Stij » 16 Jul 2019, 09:51

PttU wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 16:17
When I buy a flight ticket, I also get asked to rent a car and make a hotel reservation. Does that mean I should rent a car in case the bus I would take goes on strike, or make a hotel reservation in case my backpack containing my tent doesn't arrive? No, those are just related options, related to the flight, but optional for the traveller. And really: they're not offered as a service, they're offered as the vendor of the ticket gets a percentage on the revenue, and the fact that someone who buys a ticket might be interesting in insurance, a rental car or a hotel makes it relevant, but that's not the main reason. If they wouldn't get a percentage on the sale, or worse: if they had to pay a small fee, those options would be gone very quick, passenger-oriented service or not...
So travel insurance should be optional, and if your baggage gets delayed you should get a compensation, whether or not you have opted for a travel insurance in the booking process. That's only fair and a sign of true customer-focus.
Couldn’t agree more!

Stij

Conti764

Post by Conti764 » 16 Jul 2019, 09:56

Stij wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 09:47
Off topic, but an update, my folks got their bags... with a delay of 2,5 days and a distaste for SN and BRU...

I know SN isn’t at fault here... but try to explain that to 2 70+ people...

Stij
At least they've got their bags. When I flew from AMS (never again!) three years ago, my daughters luggage got left behind as well. Never got it back. No-one knew, no-one gave a damn.

Ansett

Post by Ansett » 16 Jul 2019, 18:06

All machines can break down. IT systems can stop to work. That's why sometimes aircraft take off or land with one engin only. That's why very unfortunately, sometimes a plane crashes without it being the pilots' fault. Sometimes your car will not start in the morning.
Ideally, these things should not happen. Any breakdwon is extremely annoying, but we should be aware that the ideal or perfect situation does not exist.

On two occasions, I had delayed flights (not in Belgium) because the IT system broke down and boarding passes and luggage tags had to be written by hand !

Unfortunately, it will all happen again at BRU and elsewhere. Hopefully, lessons can be learned from such events in order to make sure that these breakdowns remain an exception.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers » 16 Jul 2019, 18:23

All that is very true, but it is not the full story. Shit does and will happen, sure enough.
But it is possible to mitigate the risks by appropriate expenditure in maintenance and in capacity growth.

Ansett

Post by Ansett » 16 Jul 2019, 18:47

(Don't know what happened. Just wanted to correct Belgian into Belgium) :o

sn26567

Post by sn26567 » 16 Jul 2019, 22:03

Ansett wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 18:47
(Don't know what happened. Just wanted to correct Belgian into Belgium) :o
You pressed "Reply with quote" (last icon) instead of "Edit post" (first icon). Happens to me all the time.

P.S. I corrected for you.
André
ex Sabena #26567

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN » 19 Jul 2019, 10:29

Not sure this is the right topic for this message.

Mr. Feist is confirmed to be CEO for the next 6 years.
So that means his shareholders are very happy.

Let us hope there will be more attention for the PAX now:
* do something about the queues at immigration: make e-gates work always and put more police men at busy times
* maintaine baggage systemproperly and avaoid disastrous breakdowns
* make sure that subcontractors can also work at reasonable rates, so that we do not have all this wildcat strikes, creating a VERY NEGATIVE image of the airport
* do something about the parts of the airport that look too much as build in the 50's and very desolte and old fashioned
* make and promote BRU as a convenient airport which places PAX first
* communicate about compensation program for when it goes wrong at airport (when airport is responsible)
* do not again postpone extension Pier A West
* work together with SN to make BRU a real hub and make more money (also attract more airlines + destinations + frequencies)
* use your influence to fire the present trouble-making CEO at Skeyes, responsible for millions of losses and bad reputation of BRU and our country.

I wish him good luck and great diplomatic skills when negotiating with the different governments in this country.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis » 19 Jul 2019, 12:10

JOVAN wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 10:29

* do something about the queues at immigration: make e-gates work always and put more police men at busy times
* make sure that subcontractors can also work at reasonable rates, so that we do not have all this wildcat strikes, creating a VERY NEGATIVE image of the airport
* do something about the parts of the airport that look too much as build in the 50's and very desolte and old fashioned
* communicate about compensation program for when it goes wrong at airport (when airport is responsible)
* work together with SN to make BRU a real hub and make more money (also attract more airlines + destinations + frequencies)
* use your influence to fire the present trouble-making CEO at Skeyes, responsible for millions of losses and bad reputation of BRU and our country.

I wish him good luck and great diplomatic skills when negotiating with the different governments in this country.
Not only shareholders are very happy, the employees of BRU are very happy with a very warm and humble boss, friend, CEO. This we don't see much anymore. He is very visible in the company, very open.

This made, together with all the effort of the employees, the disaster of 22/03 and many other things during many years that our airport was growing in the very right direction.

I will not respond to all your points as this is internal affair but regarding the look of the 50's, sorry but in this a huge jump is made. Do you remember a couple of years ago the air side view you had on the Skyhall and buildings next to it? This all is gone and replaced by very modern buildings and it is still ongoing. From the land side, very old maintenance buildings are also removed. The whole Brucargo is under renovation. This is a continuous project...

BRU and SN are very well working well. The teams are working hard and have contacts with a lot of potential airlines to come to BRU. But don't think if you want them that they fly right away to you. This needs time and preparation. And the capital of Brussels is really not helping in this with their noise restrictions, penalties, on a short way to make it very difficult for you to fly.

Pier A West will be extended, no worries

Conti764

Post by Conti764 » 19 Jul 2019, 13:44

First point, about border control: not under the control of BAC or mr. Feist. The authorities fail to attract and keep enough staff to man the boxes.

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean » 19 Jul 2019, 14:08

You probably can't say anything, but even a small hint if we will get some new routes or airlines would be nice or some sort of expansion by existing carriers would be nice. You don't have to say who or to where, but just a yes or a no would suffice.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN » 19 Jul 2019, 19:37

Conti764 wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 13:44
First point, about border control: not under the control of BAC or mr. Feist. The authorities fail to attract and keep enough staff to man the boxes.
It is not "the Authorities" who fail to etc.

It is the local commander(s) who reign in their own little kingdom.
It is very much like local heads of police in many cities or districts of big cities (like Brussels). Making their own rule and and exercizing their frustrations on the citizens, passengers.
The top of the Police is often manned by non-competent people.

Similar story in CRL: they still have the 'tent' there, only because the commander wants it that way.

Skeyes CEO is a similar story. A former Union guy who now plays the little dictator.

The PETERS-principle is very present in many sectors.

Still BRU CEO should be able to convince higher levels of authority, to the benefit of the PAX.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 » 19 Jul 2019, 19:51

JOVAN wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 19:37
Conti764 wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 13:44
It is not "the Authorities" who fail to etc.

It is the local commander(s) who reign in their own little kingdom.
It is very much like local heads of police in many cities or districts of big cities (like Brussels). Making their own rule and and exercizing their frustrations on the citizens, passengers.
The top of the Police is often manned by non-competent people.

Similar story in CRL: they still have the 'tent' there, only because the commander wants it that way.

Skeyes CEO is a similar story. A former Union guy who now plays the little dictator.

The PETERS-principle is very present in many sectors.

Still BRU CEO should be able to convince higher levels of authority, to the benefit of the PAX.
It are the authorities who fail in the first place due to lack of funding, the federal police is heavily underfunded. They fail to to attract fresh officers and when they force new recruits to man border control, these people leave at the first occasion they get.

Ansett

Post by Ansett » 20 Jul 2019, 00:38

Why don't federal "policemen" like to work at BRU ?
The answer to this question is crucial to solve the problem.
A simple (simplistic) solution to the problem is money.
They will love to work at BRU if they are paid more (for instance, through bonuses).
There is no money you will say.
OK, the let's increase the airport taxe by ? 50 cents, one euro ? per passenger !
Additonal money (whatever its origin) will make the system work.
They will fight to be allowed to work at BRU if it pays really well.
But still, why don't they now want to work at BRU ?
I have an answer, but not sure it's the right one.
Anyone volunteering to answer the question ?

b720

Post by b720 » 20 Jul 2019, 09:05

Ansett wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 00:38
Why don't federal "policemen" like to work at BRU ?
The answer to this question is crucial to solve the problem.
A simple (simplistic) solution to the problem is money.
They will love to work at BRU if they are paid more (for instance, through bonuses).
There is no money you will say.
OK, the let's increase the airport taxe by ? 50 cents, one euro ? per passenger !
Additonal money (whatever its origin) will make the system work.
They will fight to be allowed to work at BRU if it pays really well.
But still, why don't they now want to work at BRU ?
I have an answer, but not sure it's the right one.
Anyone volunteering to answer the question ?
And why are they to be paid more? It is a very luxurious environment to work at, compared to many other places they are deployed at. No hardship at all! Security risk? That is part of of their overall job..they are at risk whenever they are called to any situation. Taxes at BRU are high enough as they are.

AIRMARSHAL

Post by AIRMARSHAL » 20 Jul 2019, 09:58

JOVAN wrote:

Meanwhile Brussels Airport is nowhere to be found in the Skytrax top 100 airport ranking 2019.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis » 20 Jul 2019, 10:06

AIRMARSHAL wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 09:58
JOVAN wrote:

Meanwhile Brussels Airport is nowhere to be found in the Skytrax top 100 airport ranking 2019.
Skytrax is a system based on money which they receive from airports to be visible there. So the more you pay, the better you are visible.