Monday morning smile

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Homo Aeroportus

Re: Monday morning smile

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

I'm used to the inimitable chainsaw sound and just wondered what is this Piaggio that visits EBBR once in a while.

Seen its reg it must be a frenchie with some sense of humour.
Screenshot 2019-05-21 17.08.01.png
:lol:

H.A.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: 21 May 2019, 17:22 I'm used to the inimitable chainsaw sound and just wondered what is this Piaggio that visits EBBR once in a while.

Seen its reg it must be a frenchie with some sense of humour.

:lol:

H.A.
Maybe because F-ROGG and F-FROG were already in use? :lol:
André
ex Sabena #26567

Homo Aeroportus

Another example of a German enterprise successfully adding a touch of Belgian identity.

DSC02714.JPG

Can barely see the difference with the original.

;)

H.A.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Question: what is this sound?

Answer:
http://avherald.com/h?article=4c900c86&opt=0

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

WOW Air A330-300 TF-GAY becomes Türkish Airlines TC-LOL

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

LUFTHANSA announces a re-orientation of Brussels Airlines: closer alignment with Network Airlines; integration into Eurowings will not be further pursued.

The best news ever. :D

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

Boeing767copilot wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 10:47 LUFTHANSA announces a re-orientation of Brussels Airlines: closer alignment with Network Airlines; integration into Eurowings will not be further pursued.

The best news ever. :D
Together with my holiday, sunny weather, this news makes me smile as well. Happy for the SN employees. :D :D :D

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Except for the Concorde and Space Shuttles, I don't think any aircraft's window can sustain extreme heat like this. Very unfortunate incident.
Turkish Airlines' new aircraft Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner (TC-LLA), during the introductory shootings of the aircraft, one window melted from extreme heat. The window could not withstand the temperature of the camera and spotlights.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Very unfortunate incident.
I'm afraid this is to be taken more serious: for me it can only indicate inferior quality of materials. Race to the bottom, in that domain too? Or would the "Pilot's and owner's handbook" (or its airliner equivalent) give limits for outside temperature and radiation? with maximum durations, even?
"Airplane not to stand in broad sunlight for more than 30 minutes when OAT exceeds 40 degrees C" or such?
Last edited by jan_olieslagers on 01 Jul 2019, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Lights used in the film industry get excessively hot when used even for short periods of time. The way these shoots are usually done, is with one or multiple lights blasting down on the window from the outside. A little carelessness when positioning the lights can make it so they could even start a fire.
These lights are nothing like the lights you're probably used to, not even close. Well over a 1000W per light source isn't unheard of, and all that energy is focused on a rather small area.
This, combined with the high power draw, is why most production studios are switching to LED based lights, a rather costly affair, so not everyone has made that jump just yet.
It may not look pretty, but I'd say the blame here will probably more be on the side of the film crew than on the side of the aircraft/window manufacturer.
Thomas

jan_olieslagers

Well, I admittedly am none too sure... And yes, I have worked in theatres, where incandescent lamps up to 5kW are used - and they do produce 10% light, at best, the rest goes out as heat, yes yes. Still, heat should be carried off quickly by convection.

Anyway, if it is as you suggest, then both the photographers/filmers and the airline are to be blamed: the one party should be professional enough to know where to avoid the intensive heat produced by their equipment; the other (PIC? ground crew? airline operations officer?) should have observed the danger, with a timely and sufficiently serious alert. Lack of professionalism on two sides, then! The accident was entirely avoidable, hence "stupid" rather than "unfortunate"!

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Heat can only be carried away(quickly) if the environment allows it. I would not at all be surprised if they used light modifiers to focus the light more on the window(s), since anything around it is pretty much wasted light.
Perhaps combined with a rather warm day and absolutely no wind (I have no clue whether this is the case, I'm just painting a picture here.) and the heat would start to build up very, very quickly.
Your assessment, to me, is correct though, more than a few people should have spotted this. I wouldn't be too quick to blame the airline/ground crew/..., though, using stage/ camera lights and the associated hassle and risks is not exactly their area of expertise. They'd hire a production company because the airline doesn't have the equipment and in-house knowledge to produce a commercial, nor should they.
Another possible scenario just came to mind: the production crew may be used to working with LED lights, where the heat output is greatly reduced, which for some reason weren't available. So they just positioned their 'legacy' lights the way they would position the LED lights they're used to, having this as a result.
Thomas

Homo Aeroportus

The LED also generates a lot of heat but right at the source, i.e. at the chip level.
A good design of a light/projector implies a good heat dissipation management in order to avoid exceeding the junction max temperature and dramatically reduce the life expectancy of the LED.
However it is true that due to a very narrow wavelength (almost mono-chromatic colour), an LED does not project infra red in its light beam.

A long time ago (grrrr) airfield lighting used powerful filament lamp bulbs, typically +100W, and absorption filters where inserted to produce the desired colour. The IR component in the white light generated by the filament increased the temperature inside the small volume of such airfield light. The Runway Threshold lights often suffered from breakages of the glassware at an inexplicably higher rate than lights projecting another colour. This was due to the green filter that is very efficient at blocking the red and infra-red radiation of that original spectrum, leading to higher temperature of the glassware and higher rate of breaks when submitted to a cold shower.

Enough for the technological nostalgia.
The B787 does not have window blinds. Instead it has electro-chromatic dimmable windows.
This consists in inserting a gel material between two layers of glass. Dimming is achieved by having a current passing through that gel.
I imagine that the gel was not designed to withstand high luminous flux, possibly containing infra-red radiation, and that it participated in increasing the temperature of the window. Certainly not helping at dissipating the energy around.

Sorry for the biiig topics digression.

H.A.

jan_olieslagers

No need to apologise, at the contrary! It is nice to learn about this gel technology, and totally on-topic. Thank you indeed!

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Not a digression from my point of view either, thanks for the info, H.A.!
Thomas

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Homo Aeroportus

A2346/19 NOTAMN
Q) EBBU/QANLC/I /NBO/E /115/999/5029N00425E078
A) EBBU B) 1907041600 C) 1907041830
E) CDR1 UM150 KOK-DIK AND UY873 BELOB-DENUT NOT AVBL FL115/UNL
CREATED: 03 Jul 2019 19:23:00
SOURCE: EUECYIYN

So if you are the kind of person used to go from KOK to DIK, you'll have to remain low today.
After 18:30 you may get it up again.

;)

H.A.

jan_olieslagers

:) :) :)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

A second runway for London City Airport

New on the scene, Ocean Aircraft says that it is possible for its proposed seaplane to land in the Royal Albert Dock and use the facilities of LCY. That's 19 passengers in a fair degree of comfort.

It’s one for the future and not as daft as it seems.

Years ago, BTN editor-in-chief Malcolm Ginsberg flew into Queen Victoria Dock in a DHC Twin Otter with floats.

André
ex Sabena #26567